Game Day: NAB Cup round 1 v Carlton/Port

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a big bowl of crap, Freddy. This is the same attitude that frustrated fans in the You Know Who era. If Walker becomes the forward force we all dream about him being, the opposition won't think twice about putting an attacking defender on him. He'll command a stopper who'll want to wear him like a glove. The defender will, and should, be pursuing Walker, be shitting his pants about what Walker does next. Not vice versa. Secondly, if Walker is dominating, and I'm Sanderson, I say run off him all you like. His seven goal bag is going to far outweigh any attack you make from the defensive fifty. You want to risk running off him, go for your life.
Ever thought that this might be one area where "You Know Who" got things right, given that every other AFL coach has the same approach?

Freddy is 100% right. Given Walker's lack of pace & willingness to chase, any intelligent coach is going to instruct his opponent to run off him at every opportunity - and his teammates will be instructed to play through him at every opportunity. Walker's lack of pace & work ethic could easily end up costing us far more goals than he creates.

No AFL coach would/will tolerate this. Walker needs to shape up, or find himself becoming the next Ben McKinley.

I'm pretty sure it was Leigh Matthews who said he didn't like Jonathan Brown chasing blokes beyond the forward arc, because as luck would have it, there'd invariably be a turnover, and Brown would either be out of position, or running back too stuffed to get a decent jump at the ball. Brown was almost trying TOO hard to be a team player, to look the part and set an example. Matthews wanted Brown to roam where he was most dangerous - inside the 50. There was never a thought that his defender might wreak havoc. It was Jonathan Brown for heavens sake - if anyone's wreaking havoc - it's him.
Stop comparing Walker to Brown. Walker isn't fit to tie his shoelaces.

The big differences between the two are their work ethic and athleticism, neither of which compares favourably for Walker.

I wouldn't mind if Walker stopped chasing at the 60-70m mark, but right now he stops chasing 5m after the pursuit begins. It's simply not good enough.

Seriously this is ****ing bullshit. He has played 40 minutes of football in a mickey mouse scratch match and already the Walker analysis is out of control. He did show signs of improvement on the weekend, yes there were a couple of lapses but overall an improvement in hitting the contest.

He is on our list for the next two years at least so get over him and move on to someone more worthy of ridicule, like Reilly:)

Seriously this is ****ing bullshit. He has played 40 minutes of football in a mickey mouse scratch match and already the Walker analysis is out of control. He did show signs of improvement on the weekend, yes there were a couple of lapses but overall an improvement in hitting the contest.

He is on our list for the next two years at least so get over him and move on to someone more worthy of ridicule, like Reilly:)

Exactly. Especially considering the bloke was allegedly suffering from gastro to the point where he needed talking to by the docs plus possibly chucking his guts at the breaks. Most of us would struggle to get off the couch feeling like that but he managed to play a couple of games of footy and kick a couple of goals. Were there a few moments where his efforts could have been a bit better, sure, but I don't think you can blame the guy for not busting his gut 100% in every contest in round 1 of the NAB cup when he is feeling like that. Has anyone here had gastro before and then tried sprinting flat out chasing a guy 100 metres? Lets give the guy a few more weeks when he is feeling 100% before judging him on his efforts and claiming him to be a lost cause.

What did we get out of the weekend? A couple of nice wins first up, some promising signs from a few kids, clearly a more physical approach to the contest and an attacking intent to move the ball on at every oppurtunity, and most importantly, no injuries. That's it.

The issue for me isn't Walker. I love the bloke and think he will be a Superstar of the comp with a bit of tweaking.... The issue for me is the mindset that he doesn't need to chase or do team things as he is a gun...

What did we get out of the weekend? A couple of nice wins first up, some promising signs from a few kids, clearly a more physical approach to the contest and an attacking intent to move the ball on at every oppurtunity, and most importantly, no injuries. That's it.

I agree with all that, but something I noticed on the replay--I wasn't there so perhaps people that were might like to comment--our defensive effort looked good. There were numerous times when both Carlton and Poower players marked, stopped and had to go back to wait for a short lead. Was our press working well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with all that, but something I noticed on the replay--I wasn't there so perhaps people that were might like to comment--our defensive effort looked good. There were numerous times when both Carlton and Poower players marked, stopped and had to go back to wait for a short lead. Was our press working well?

There's no such thing as anything working well in February.

Stop comparing Walker to Brown. Walker isn't fit to tie his shoelaces.

Of course he's not Brown. But he needs to own the attitude that he is. Im not surprised you disagree with that, as we have completely different views on player psychology. If in fact you have one at all.

I wouldn't mind if Walker stopped chasing at the 60-70m mark

That's silly stuff Vader.

The only time I want to see Walker 60m from our goals is when he's bombing a torp through the uprights.

Of course he's not Brown. But he needs to own the attitude that he is. Im not surprised you disagree with that, as we have completely different views on player psychology. If in fact you have one at all.
If he own's Brown's attitude without Brown's ability then he just ends up looking like an arrogant dropkick. First get the ability up to scratch, then fix the attitude. Mind you, Tex has never been short on confidence, so I doubt this would even need fixing.
That's silly stuff Vader.

The only time I want to see Walker 60m from our goals is when he's bombing a torp through the uprights.
That's just you.. As most of us have said repeatedly lately - thank God you're not an AFL coach, because your team would lose by 50 goals every single week.

** Yes, I am well aware that the AFL's record losing margin is just 190 points, set back in 1979. This is a clear statement of how poor your understanding of football tactics is.

Imagine having a forward average 4.5 goals, how good will that be:thumbsu:

As for conceding 50 goals, blame the mids, defenders, half forward flankers and then blame the key forwards.

That's just you.. As most of us have said repeatedly lately - thank God you're not an AFL coach, because your team would lose by 50 goals every single week.

** Yes, I am well aware that the AFL's record losing margin is just 190 points, set back in 1979. This is a clear statement of how poor your understanding of football tactics is.

You are really the strawman king around here.

I'm not talking about a press, or a specific tactic of emptying out a forward line - all of which will see all forwards, including Walker, involved.

I'm talking about Walker's goal kicking and positioning instinct, and how it ties in with trying to add a fabricated defensive aspect to his game.

If that's gone over your head, you really shouldn't accuse others of not understanding modern tactics.

Imagine having a forward average 4.5 goals, how good will that be:thumbsu:

As for conceding 50 goals, blame the mids, defenders, half forward flankers and then blame the key forwards.

While much is said about forwards providing defensive pressure, what you say is certainly true. But you take a look at the "BIG BOYS" - Geelong and Collingwood, and that forward defensive pressure is a real factor in their success. To dismiss it out of hand is probably a little foolish.

I also don't think everyone expects Walker to chase down every opponent that runs off him - that's not his main focus, however, how much better a player would he be if he kicked his 4.5 goals a game AND put more effort in his work rate once the ball has left his immediate vicinity?

Aussie Rules, like both rugby codes, basketball, soccer and hockey--more examples?--is a game where once the opposition is in possession then every one of your players becomes a defender with the task of winning back the ball. There can be no passengers in this respect in the modern game. A weak link who allows his man time and space to run through the lines and/or to set up play cannot be tolerated.
As for Walker averaging 4.5 goals a game...it is good to dream.

Most Adelaide fans wouldn't want Buddy Franklin in their team I reckon, what with his lack of pack-busting marks, the number of times he chooses to stay down rather than make a contest and his high number of crumbing goals that you can't build a forward line around.

Buddy works hard. May be a FIGJAM ball hog, but he works had on both ends of the field.

From my POV, it's not at all saying Tex isn't up to AFL grade or I don't want him playing. I've repeatedly stated he's one of my favorite players and is the most talented bloke on our list. However, I don't want to settle for ice-cream. Bring that Ice Magik out and lets get crazy!!!!!!

I doubt there has been a key forward in AFL/VFL history who applies better froward pressure than Buddy..... Surely Clarkson will tell him to stop that rubbish in 2012 and stay in the goal square

Remove this Banner Ad

Back