Game Day Game Day Preview Melbourne v Collingwood Mon 14 June 3.20 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
2021-05-10_103953.jpg

2021-06-12_171153.jpg
2021-06-12_193053.jpg

When I put my hand up for this game, never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would be previewing Buckley's last game as Collingwood coach; Demons would have lost only one game (Mark Williams has been a big in); or that the game would be played in Sydney.

So here we are without Howe, Adams and Grundy and from having the supposedly best mid-field in past years we are left with WHE, Steele and Poulter as our named mids.

I can't see us winning any line but am hoping that we can at least win individual match ups.
*Moore vs Weideman should be a win for Moore, surely.
*Roughead on McDonald - break even?
*Maybe other way around?

Maynard who played his best game to date to take Fritsch?

Our makeshift rucks take on an in form Gawn. Can't see us getting close but perhaps if either Lynch or Cameron can body him so that he can't get clean hitouts it may nullify him a little. Alternatively we rove to his hitouts.

Players to watch are Petracca (Crisp?), Pickett (Quaynor?) and Oliver (Pendlebury?).

A couple of shining lights are Biannco and Poulter. The return of Elliott was fantastic last week and great if we could get another bag of 6 from Jamie.

I was really impressed by Melbourne in their last game, they seem to really work hard for each other and man up pretty quickly. Something we don't do well.
Melbourne have a good chemistry going at the moment and have been helped by only having used 31 players where we are already up to 38.

We really need big games from JDG, Steele and Checkers but most of all when defending we need to man up; honour leads from the forwards and for goodness sake, look inward and quick release of the ball.

If we can control the corridor, we could go close.

Stats for those that like numbers:

Conclusion:
Doubt that we can win this one but one thing I am certain of is that when that final siren goes, I will be one sad Collingwood supporter but wishing Buckley well for life after footy and thanks for the memories.

Over to you ...

I did have a laugh at this headline on AFL site:

Pies go for speed over size
COLLINGWOOD has resisted the temptation to recall giant forward Mason Cox for Monday's Queen's Birthday clash against Melbourne, preferring to add speedy forward Beau McCreery and tough utility Chris Mayne.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

COLLINGWOOD has resisted the temptation to recall giant forward Mason Cox for Monday's Queen's Birthday clash against Melbourne, preferring to add speedy forward Beau McCreery and tough utility Chris Mayne.
They could also have preferred to omit Lynch for Cox and not sacrificed speed. I hope some of these perplexing selection decisions follow Buckley out of the club, but somehow I doubt it. Can't see Bucks going out with a win.

Well done, Maggie. You certainly posted this preview well ahead of time!

Trickster

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Nice summary Maggie5.

I suspect Cox was never going to play given lack of match practice but perhaps Bucks wanted him as part of the travelling squad for his last game

Meeting up with some old Collingwood mates to watch this at a pub. It’s an historical occasion, and I need like-minded people around me. I expect there will be hugging and reminiscing, and lots of high fives when we win.😊

Great write-up Maggie5 !

The AFL maintains that the draft system is designed so that no team lives in the cellar for ever... even Melbourne.

This they say, "is good for footy". Like pineapple on pizza, it's a preposterous concept.

A Melbourne "friend" has been spamming me with messages about the game. Prior to this year I can't remember him talking about footy once; the situation is fast becoming insufferable.

I've not tipped against the club this year and I'm not about to start now. Our injury depleted side to perform a minor miracle, dedicating the victory to the great Collingwood man coaching his last game.

Pies by 48 points.

* For Melbourne fans this hiding will trigger haunting memories making the walk back to the Range Rover mildly traumatic.

Can’t wait to see Mayne leave the Melbourne forwards in his wake, as he breaks the line, with blistering pace & creates the overlap.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great write-up Maggie5 !

The AFL maintains that the draft system is designed so that no team lives in the cellar for ever... even Melbourne.

This they say, "is good for footy". Like pineapple on pizza, it's a preposterous concept.

A Melbourne "friend" has been spamming me with messages about the game. Prior to this year I can't remember him talking about footy once; the situation is fast becoming insufferable.

I've not tipped against the club this year and I'm not about to start now. Our injury depleted side to perform a minor miracle, dedicating the victory to the great Collingwood man coaching his last game.

Pies by 48 points.

* For Melbourne fans this hiding will trigger haunting memories making the walk back to the Range Rover mildly traumatic.
The draft system - or cycle of stupidity as I call it is designed to manipulate the system.

There is no other way to look at it - clubs with good organizations and dedicated servants are quite literally forced down the ladder.

When clubs manipulate the system they are punished.

But the AFL's heavy handed manipulation is 'good for football'

Riiiiiigggggghhhhhttttt :oops:

I’m confident the players will give their all for the mighty Nathan Buckley!

A win is going to be tough, but you just never know.

Always a Chance at the Opening Bounce

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m confident the players will give their all for the mighty Nathan Buckley!

A win is going to be tough, but you just never know.
A win would be a fitting tribute from the players but would also provoke questions regarding the decision to terminate Buckley's coaching. If we win, is it due to the players committing 110% for Buck's last game or because they feel liberated by his resignation and invigorated at the prospect of a new style and game plan? If Buckley can lead the team to a win over top team Melbourne, why was his position terminated? In some ways, a decisive loss would be a more appropriate if undesirable outcome. Nevertheless, I hope we win.

A win would be a fitting tribute from the players but would also provoke questions regarding the decision to terminate Buckley's coaching. If we win, is it due to the players committing 110% for Buck's last game or because they feel liberated by his resignation and invigorated at the prospect of a new style and game plan? If Buckley can lead the team to a win over top team Melbourne, why was his position terminated? In some ways, a decisive loss would be a more appropriate if undesirable outcome. Nevertheless, I hope we win.

Good point was thinking the same.

Mate, all the debate on Bucks is over now. He’s sailing into the sunset and hopefully a happy future.

A win would be wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back