Women's Footy GAME DAY! QF v Melb @ Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

If she (O’Driscoll) comes out there's 'Show me some KJ', Gooch or Williams who have all been playing well in the AFLW / WAFLW (thought KJ was still to get the boot last week, despite buddy status).

Of course I'm on 'Show me some KJ', but there would have to be a shuffle of the cards to get someone else back in defence to replace O'Driscoll down there. Gooch is Ms Reliable, but Williams is quicker.

Look, let's just go with the KJ option. Everyone else is just making up numbers anyway.

Think we need some more X-factor/danger in the forward half.
Verrier was great down back, so expect Drisco out for a goal scorer.

May flip Webb for KJ/McMahon as well. (McMahon was the travelling emergency wasn't she?)
With Pearce out they lose a seriously class mid-forward. It’s Paxman that will be the main concern.
Webb was solid - 12 disposals, 7 tackles (same as Turbo). It would be a bit rough to get dropped on those numbers.
Stannett had her worst game of the season, but she’s got the runs on the board.
Tough call at selection.

I didn't think D. Pearce was too influential in the last game, however Paxman was. She is the danger-card. It's winnable, I just don't know how I feel about the team at this point in time; it's been a disappointing build going into Finals with little to no real momentum. It's a colossal task from here on in; hopefully the switch can be flicked and the girls can re-discover their mojo. They really need it.

I'm wishing them the best.....

From AFLW article ‘Around the state leagues’ by Lucy Watkin
I like that there's a state leagues round up, and it's nice for the players, in terms of building public recognition/interest in them and women's football generally, to have their names in the press. But that write up is next to useless. It's basically "Tarnee Tester was good. Evie Gooch was strong".

For Freo to win this one Gemma Hoghton just has to recapture her form she had at the start of the season.
Does anyone know what happened to her? Went from being literally the best player in the comp to back in the middle of the pack.

For Freo to win this one Gemma Hoghton just has to recapture her form she had at the start of the season.
Does anyone know what happened to her? Went from being literally the best player in the comp to back in the middle of the pack.
They started defending her on the back shoulder, letting her run up the ground and way out on the wings but not trying to beat her side by side in contests that she then runs back onto the loose ball over the top. Sitting an extra defender back down to deny Freo the open space.

They started defending her on the back shoulder, letting her run up the ground and way out on the wings but not trying to beat her side by side in contests that she then runs back onto the loose ball over the top. Sitting an extra defender back down to deny Freo the open space.
What does she have to do now?
Lead towards the kicker?

Hope we win on the weekend. Otherwise we'll be seeing more garbage like this coming out about us:

Freo have been found out the past month, they looked great because of the fixture and the fact they didn't play Carlton, Melbourne or North last year with the season cut short.

So their big win streak was mostly luck.

Having to rely on them to make finals if our own fault. If we had played even one of our first few quarters properly we'd be higher up the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope we win on the weekend. Otherwise we'll be seeing more garbage like this coming out about us:

What utter garbage. Not a game this season that we haven't been in up to our eyeballs. Pretty sure every other team (aside from Brisbane?) have been embarrassed at some point this year.

We played the higher ranked sides 2x home and 3x away.

We set the standard last year, and everyone this year has come up to meet it.

What utter garbage. Not a game this season that we haven't been in up to our eyeballs. Pretty sure every other team (aside from Brisbane?) have been embarrassed at some point this year.

We played the higher ranked sides 2x home and 3x away.

We set the standard last year, and everyone this year has come up to meet it.

Ironically it's a Carlton fan. If any team can be called a pretender last year based on their form this year it's them. (Although I seriously wouldn't because using a teams form in one year to make inferences about their form in a different year is dumb.)

She either needs to take on the other girl and use her speed to beat her, or lead towards the kicker to mark. Either way, she needs to have more impact.

What will also help Houghton is to use our "spare" forward more when she is being double-teamed. Force all their defenders to be accountable and she will get more1-on1s, especially late in the game

What’s the Melbourne ruck like ? because ours is below that ‘ you just need one good enough to compete ‘ level

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back