Women's Footy GAME DAY! QF v Melb @ Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

As her buddy - I say how dare you!!

But, if she can’t hold on to the mark then her value is significantly diminished.

She’s a really good trier but her skills are dreadful. She could get away with it in the early days of AFLW but the skill level has improved immensely and she can’t go with it.

What an absolute joke! The coaching staff never devised a plan to combat teams that parked additional defenders behind the ball. WHAT A WASTE OF A SEASON!!

This lost is on Trent Cooper. Won’t play players who are clearly more skilled over players who can run all day. He might be good at talking to the media but a master tactician he is clearly not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an absolute joke! The coaching staff never devised a plan to combat teams that parked additional defenders behind the ball. WHAT A WASTE OF A SEASON!!
Nah it was clearly skills that let us down so fumbly and disgusting handballs and kicks. I can't blame coach game plan on this loss. Well done by Melbourne to apply so much pressure and have good skills.

What's even sadder, is that I don't think Melbourne are even close to the team that will win the premiership. They're decidedly ordinary.

What's even sadder, is that I don't think Melbourne are even close to the team that will win the premiership. They're decidedly ordinary.
I don’t know - they’ve beaten Crows, Dockers, Lions, Dockers over the last four weeks - that’s pretty good going.

Of the other finalists, they are the team I hope go on to win. Don’t want to see another Crows flag and please god not the Pies or Roos - the media fawning over them (and the Blues) has been awful.

The Demons fans are generally a decent lot, and they must be even more sick of the Pies/Roos/Blues love in than we are. Even the Doggies get more love in the AFLW vic media.

Good luck to Melbourne (except "howzat" Paxman) - they deserved the win.

Don't think you can narrow it down to one thing with Freo recently. Everything was s**t. Intensity - s**t. Work rate - s**t. Skills - s**t. Game plan - s**t. Attitude - s**t. Adaptability - s**t. Coaching - s**t. That's a lot of s**t to dig out of but they can get it back together for next year without wholesale changes.

I reckon Trent is a great coach but his refusal to make changes both in personnel and plan was a massive blindspot. You can't just go in expecting a team that has been well under par for weeks to suddenly come out and turn it around because you had a nice talk through the week. The players respect you mate - just do what is necessary and they'll accept it.

I don’t know - they’ve beaten Crows, Dockers, Lions, Dockers over the last four weeks - that’s pretty good going.

Of the other finalists, they are the team I hope go on to win. Don’t want to see another Crows flag and please god not the Pies or Roos - the media fawning over them (and the Blues) has been awful.

The Demons fans are generally a decent lot, and they must be even more sick of the Pies/Roos/Blues love in than we are. Even the Doggies get more love in the AFLW vic media.

Wouldn't mind the Pies, Adelaide or Brisbane going all the way because it'll make it harder to call us pretenders in 2020.

The fast chaos ball over the top has been exposed as a one trick pony. The girls looked cooked weeks before this, and I reckon that 2nd game against West Coast was a terrible ruse into making us (and maybe them) think they were cruising along. We needed a fixture against one of the better teams to create a better perspective of where we were at, but got the Eagles on a dry deck and gave them a touch up which maybe created over-confidence, it was too facile a victory and we got found out against the better teams who are more disciplined and organised and can move the ball better. Too many girls that resort to panic and throwing the ball on the boot to take territory when the pressure is stronger, sometimes not even when they're opposed. Bitterly disappointing.

Bummed out, but what can you do...?! No excuses, we just never looked liked winning, even when we did our customary "closing of the margin". Those goalless first quarters and halves were always going to burn us at some point, that day was today.

Next year has to be a stringent focus on moving the ball with skilled precision and attack and not just trying to overlap run the oppositions with over-the-top blasts. Said it before, but missed Hooker badly this year. Crapsticks :(

The fast chaos ball over the top has been exposed as a one trick pony. The girls looked cooked weeks before this, and I reckon that 2nd game against West Coast was a terrible ruse into making us (and maybe them) think they were cruising along. We needed a fixture against one of the better teams to create a better perspective of where we were at, but got the Eagles on a dry deck and gave them a touch up which maybe created over-confidence, it was too facile a victory and we got found out against the better teams who are more disciplined and organised and can move the ball better. Too many girls that resort to panic and throwing the ball on the boot to take territory when the pressure is stronger, sometimes not even when they're opposed. Bitterly disappointing.

Bummed out, but what can you do...?! No excuses, we just never looked liked winning, even when we did our customary "closing of the margin". Those goalless first quarters and halves were always going to burn us at some point, that day was today.

Next year has to be a stringent focus on moving the ball with skilled precision and attack and not just trying to overlap run the oppositions with over-the-top blasts. Said it before, but missed Hooker badly this year. Crapsticks :(
This. The Lions showed the rest of the comp the template to beat us and every team (apart from the Eagles in Rd 6) have copied it since.

In essence, our game plan was that of school yard bullies - and when it didn’t work we have no plan B.

Melbourne's short chipping ball movement and marking down the line was decisive. Also thought they tackled our defenders so that we rarely had a clean kick from out of our defensive 50m. Thought they looked a fitter team and hungrier to get to the ball first.

There were a lot of times in the first half where Freo players were doing the same thing instead of backing each other and combining. The rare times that we had an outnumber in a contest and first player would tackle the Melbourne, the other player would come in and just jump on the contest rolling over the top instead of keeping their feet and collecting the spillage. Maybe the players all had it in their heads that in a final they have to put their bodies on the line but they didn't keep their heads to combine until the 3rd quarter.

Our strength is usually our forward line and its ability to convert limited chances into goal but opportunists Duffy and O'Sullivan hardly touched it.

Miller had a slow start and the auxillary midfielders in Stewart and Webb were also quiet.

I think we're short down back against good marking tall forwards, which Melbourne have, and the only thing we changed in the last couple of games was take O'Driscoll out - who is one of the better nullifying defenders in the aerial contest. I trust the coach knows his squad, but I thought we could have had a couple of changes each week over the last month of football to keep the team fresh coming into the finals.

My basic wrap up is i) not enough midfielders contributing 4 quarters to back up Bowers ii) Too short in defence and iii) no X factor from the forwards.

Also some shocking umpiring.

Think we really need to rethink our tactics over the offseason. They were good in 2020 but I think they got worked out and we didn't adapt.

Some of our better 2020 players also dropped fitness and form when the season was called off. Our forwardline was noticably less elite and our midfield less tough. They either need to rediscover their form or we need to replace them. (Morrison has played well in WAFL so that will put some pressure on in the forwardline. Reckon WC grab Franklin, so adding Rowley to the midfield will be promising.)

Missing out on chance to push for a flag in 2020 and not giving a solid account of ourselves again is a ******* shame.

I didn't understand the thinking behind O'Driscoll being moved forward?! I know Taylor mentioned it being to negate the movement of the ball out, but she has atrocious kicking abilities, she was a deadset liability down there. I much preferred her in defensive 50 where even if she skewered a kick it might bobble along and get out or if she marked inside 50 she could at least handball it out; whereas having someone like that who can take a mark and yet can't kick it well was always potentially going to burn you when the moment arises and she has to have a shot. As it turns out, she didn't mark inside forward 50 - she did do some nice things, bumps and pressure acts; but Duffy and co are more than capable of those anyway; plus kicking goals and creating them. It just seemed like an act of desperation or dumbness, I haven't made my mind up yet. It appears Verrier and her were switched, which I don't think was necessary.

Coops did this last week and it proved costly when she missed. Does exactly the same thing this week. Why?! Poor tactics for me. It's not all on Emma, of course - but we just have too many deficiencies from certain players in certain areas. Overall, we've become a ragtag collective that lacks polish and elite skills - plenty of speed and physicality, but we didn't have enough smarts gameday to unlock the better defenses.

Anyway, enough from me....it's never good to dwell on it. Off to eat some lunch and fiddle around with my music that I make on my comp, keeps me sane (!!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back