Women's Footy GAME DAY Rd 8 v Melb @ Freo Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires had some shockers, but we simply can’t keep not turning up in the first quarter and get away with it every week.

That’s five times in eight games - and twice we’ve fallen short.

Both Brisbane and Melbourne have had a sweeper behind play who negates our main weapon. We need a plan going into finals because we’re being found out.

Without someone like Paxman who finds space and picks out a mark, we rely too much on chaos balls.

Slow starts were always going to catch up with them sooner or later. Hopefully that's the kick in the pants they need.

* me that was horrific, i've never seen umpring have so much of an influence on a game

what a weekend of footy, so much hype for men and women and then that, if anyone needs me i'll be tucking into a huge bowl of icecream and crying for the rest of the evening :unamused:

It's possible that we lose the first quarter so much because the coaching team waits to see what game the opposition are bringing to us then locking down key movement players and we try and grind the ball forward.
The players are waiting back more than the coaches I reckon. Whatever the other team's doing, when we're on the back foot in gameplay, it's literal. If we're charging at the ball, hunting it with fierce urgency, momentum goes with us. But when we're hesitant, waiting for the right bounce or someone else to make the first move with the ball, it opens the door for the other team to do what they will.

The players are waiting back more than the coaches I reckon. Whatever the other team's doing, when we're on the back foot in gameplay, it's literal. If we're charging at the ball, hunting it with fierce urgency, momentum goes with us. But when we're hesitant, waiting for the right bounce or someone else to make the first move with the ball, it opens the door for the other team to do what they will.
I'm not sure Freo has a controlling the play style at all though. Win the ball out of the middle and bomb it forward to zero contested marking tall targets, hopefully bring it to ground and kick a goal from a snap, crumb, spillage.

Force a turnover on half back and do the same thing again with either an extra mark or a long bomb to another stoppage.

Freo is a percentages team and it works most of the time, except when we miss so many shots at goal.

I'm not sure Freo has a controlling the play style at all though. Win the ball out of the middle and bomb it forward to zero contested marking tall targets, hopefully bring it to ground and kick a goal from a snap, crumb, spillage.

Force a turnover on half back and do the same thing again with either an extra mark or a long bomb to another stoppage.

Freo is a percentages team and it works most of the time, except when we miss so many shots at goal.
I think anyone trying to overly control play as a gameplan in the AFLW, at this stage of its development, is asking to come a cropper. The surge style Trent Cooper brought is really effective, because of that. It also helps with the attack on the ball and driving out the hesitancy that was so prevalent with us before then, but having an assertive attack on the ball is critical to the gameplan. So when the attack on the ball is down, we come thudding back down to the pack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back