Analysis Game Day Threads 2021- a frank discuss

The point which you sadly missed, is Kayne Turner = Gloria Gaynor in my eyes but somehow, you’re entitled to bag Gloria, yet I’m not entitled to bag Kayne.

I care less about your music (any music for that matter) than I do whipping boys... I’ve never heard of your sh*t band, sorry.
I'm sure you'll love the fact that Kayne will survive.

It's probably the right time to reveal the exciting changes to Gameday threads for 2021.

For those who like dogs and cats - good news - there'll be more in 2021.

For those who hate rabbits - stiff sh*t. They'll also be a key feature of Gameday threads in 2021.

There will be an "emotional rant" button installed on every Gameday page. Hitting it 3 times will release a small amount of Serotonin into the poster's bloodstream.

Should an unnamed moderator be online during the Gameday experience an "I'm feeling lucky" button will also be offered. Hitting it will randomly release either a small shot of adrenaline or Rohypnol.

Hope this has everyone up and about for 2021 match days.
You need to add random random doses of 5-MeO-DMT with the "I'm feeling lucky" button. Could be good for a laugh.

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
more melts.
yAqznG.gif

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
That's a wild assumption, I may have just decided to ignore your point and focus on your closet love for an old Disco diva. I don't think I really "bagged" her other than to say she doesn't have a great deal in common with the two bands I mentioned.

Nobody has heard of Curve, they are world's greatest unknown band.
not sure why i'm not included in this conversation about gloria gaynor. thought the username would mean i was at least consulted.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I love Curve, but you are over-rating them somewhat. I think the Frozen EP was better than the album too. They are also very well known to people into shoegaze in general.
The world's greatest unknown artist is either Noura Mint Seymali (although well known in Mauritania obviously) or Marie "Queenie" Lyons. For a band, I dunno, maybe Sea Stories, Trout Fishing in Quebec or Schvendes.

I love Curve, but you are over-rating them somewhat. I think the Frozen EP was better than the album too. They are also very well known to people into shoegaze in general.
The world's greatest unknown artist is either Noura Mint Seymali (although well known in Mauritania obviously) or Marie "Queenie" Lyons. For a band, I dunno, maybe Sea Stories, Trout Fishing in Quebec or Schvendes.
They are obscure bands but are they Shower Scene from Psycho?

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They are obscure bands but are they Shower Scene from Psycho?
Only familiar with one Shower Scene From Psycho song, but I enjoyed it. It was on a RRR compilation, either Used and Recommended By or Also Used and Recommended By. Not sure if I have the CDs any more.
Edit: It was a cover of White Rabbit. Luckily I uploaded it at some point so I just listened again. Still holds up!

Last edited:
Only familiar with one Shower Scene From Psycho song, but I enjoyed it. It was on a RRR compilation, either Used and Recommended By or Also Used and Recommended By. Not sure if I have the CDs any more.
Edit: It was a cover of White Rabbit. Luckily I uploaded it at some point so I just listened again. Still holds up!
rrr compilations were the s**t.

Remember the Everys? That song seems so quaint by modern standards.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
That's a wild assumption, I may have just decided to ignore your point and focus on your closet love for an old Disco diva. I don't think I really "bagged" her other than to say she doesn't have a great deal in common with the two bands I mentioned.

I have their B-side which I picked up in a Northcote underground cigar store. Alan Bro was there as well : stern look

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

For a band, I dunno, maybe Sea Stories, Trout Fishing in Quebec or Schvendes.

Sea Stories were magic. One of my all-time fave Australian bands.

I used to work with Penny at her 'day job' at a cafe in Greville Street. Really lovely person but without wishing to give away any inside secrets, like many before them, Sea Stories were a band built on a huge amount of internal tension. As were her and Simon's post-Sea Stories ventures together - the bafflingly mediocre Sunglass, and the much better Gigantaur, the latter a more power-pop-y type band that featured among its ranks one Darren Seltmann (who shortly after went on to find untold fame and riches with The Avalanches). They released a very good self-titled EP which is worth hunting down if you're a Sea Stories fan. I actually did the artwork for the second Gigantaur EP but they split up before it was finished and released. Couple of those songs ended up on Penny's first solo album. For his part, Simon went on to release an excellent couple of solo albums of his own under the name 'Marvelann', but he hasn't really done anything since. Spoke to him about 10 years ago, and he'd moved to the US and settled into married life.

Schvendes were a fantastic band. Sadly underappreciated. Those first two EP's are superb, as is the 'Sweet Talk Your Enemies' long-player. Good call.

Trout Fishing In Quebec went alright also, but I'm far more partial to the other two.

Exceptional band live. Unhinged and chaotic and entertaining as hell. Predictably struggled to translate that madness onto record.

Saying that, there's a pretty damn fantastic 2-disc retrospective of their work (Exploding Hits) out there that's well worth the price of admission.

rrr compilations were the sh*t.

Remember the Everys? That song seems so quaint by modern standards.

Assuming you mean this one, ferbs.....

Anyway, a few more noms for the 'Brilliant Defunct Semi-Obscure Australian Bands That Never Got The Credit They Deserved' list.....

Sandpit, The Dead Salesmen, Adam Said Galore, Further, The Night Terrors, Bluetile Lounge, Sandro, The Orange Humble Band, Twelve24, The Cat's Miaow, Umpire, This Is Your Captain Speaking, Mukaizake, Trench Gashes, Holocene, The Widdershins, Love Me, Tactics, The Spikes, and any of John Kennedy's numerous incarnations. (Not sure if Crow and Essendon Airport are too well known for that list, but if not I'd be chucking them straight in there, too.)

In summary, I have no opinion on the Game Day Threads. In fact I'm not even sure I've ever heard a single song of theirs.

Back