Roast Game day threads - the toilet of bigfooty

Remove this Banner Ad

The recent NMFC v Eagles game thread had an eagles supporter calling north supporters "sub-human scum", the mods on the main board left that comment on the board for hours after it was reported.

Another Eagles supporter said all North supporters should go away and die, and that was also on the main board for hours after it was reported.

Done with the main board especially game day threads.

Wat is this Main Board?

We are the Main Board I thought.

Not just the game day thread for me- across most threads there is so much genuine negativity and down right personal attacks on the players and coach and posters who don't share the same hatred.

This is what I see as being the main issue, as not only does it provide an unrealistic picture no better than the posters who can't remove the rose colored tint from their one eye, but it drives away the people who actually know something about the game. I find that incredibly frustrating, as those are the posters I come here to learn something from.

Like a few others have said, I don’t follow the GD threads while the footy is happening. But at Quarter or Half time, if I’m not out in the backyard ‘self-medicating’ or throwing the ball for the pooch (I find that I tend to get more insight on the game from my Lab rather than Foxtel’s Lab...especially after the 'self-medicating' part), then I might decide to flick through a few pages of the GD thread.

Obviously the ‘heat and passion of the moment’ factor plays a large part in this discussion, but then that doesn’t make this thread’s title any less true. So I enjoyed your post, SA. Particularly liked your work in identifying the various GD thread sub-species.

I reckon a lot of it goes back to something touched on recently in another thread – that is, stuff you might, for example, mutter in disgust to your mate at the footy, doesn’t necessarily translate too well to being posted on Bigfooty. Not to mention some of the insane s**t that I say when I’m watching the footy on the TV at home. The barrage of expletives alone sends family members and pets scattering like they’re fleeing a hail of bullets. That kind of heightened angst + posting = not a great read.

So yeah, all just a long-winded way of saying that I reckon the crapness and hysteria kind of comes with the territory. And in my case anyway, it's easy to avoid if so inclined.

It's the like-minded garbage infesting all the other threads that I find far more grating.

Saying all that, the spontaneous, unfiltered atmosphere of the GD threads does occasionally make for some interesting and amusing posting....

I was reading back over the GD thread's take on a Quarter in a fairly recent-ish game, and noticed something that gave me a chuckle. I won’t name names because it’s not integral to the story. But a certain dashing and brilliant (but tragically misunderstood) wingman on our team turned the ball over, and it elicited no less than a dozen posts expressing outrage. Within the next two minutes of the game, two other players – the first being one of the group of players on our team whose surnames rhyme with popular Mexican dishes, and the other from the group of guys on our team that are Adonis-like Full Backs in AA-contention – did exactly likewise, both turning the ball over by foot straight into opposition hands. No-one posted a word about either.

This was then followed by one of our ‘NMFC games record’-holding players totally shanking a kick to a leading Forward, missing the target by a freaking mile. Again, nothing but crickets.

In summary, I have updated my sig to reflect the gross injustice of GD thread bias.

It's hard keeping up with the actual game and typing away at the same time. I dont know people construct long sentences

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I keep it simple

When the chicken Littles were dancing about at 3/4 time v Tigers Final I posted

'We will win'

Got two likes.

Nekminit

For something so s**t it's self amusing how many have scrambled to post the GD thread at 12.03am...whinge that it was a day early...whinge that it was 2 hours early...whinge about the OP...whinge that someone other than moi started the GD..and worry as to my mental state re the non creation of GD thread.

I lold.

For something so s**t it's self amusing how many have scrambled to post the GD thread at 12.03am...whinge that it was a day early...whinge that it was 2 hours early...whinge about the OP...whinge that someone other than moi started the GD..and worry as to my mental state re the non creation of GD thread.

I lold.

Yeah, like man, game day threads should like, you know, be fully automated, and started, like, by randomly selected posters at 11.59.59 the day before the game, like........man :drunk:

Like a few others have said, I don’t follow the GD threads while the footy is happening.

Obviously the ‘heat and passion of the moment’ factor plays a large part in this discussion...
Which makes the only worthwhile part of them reading post-game and liking clearly absurd comments, mostly on the main board or opposition board and, if one could be bothered, on ours.

When it comes to Game Day threads, there never were "golden days". Well and truly on the way to the sewerage plant now.

Yep, plenty of the premature meltdown posts in the first halves of GDT's have deserved the golden shower treatment. That could be considered the "golden days" I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lold.

Or maybe they are taking the piss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back