Game of Sloane (THE OFFICIAL HE IS STAYING thread) Thread now closed

Do you think Sloane will stay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree but if we have a few injuries and lose a few games early and our only hope is 7th or 8th, can we please have a very poor year and finish as low as we can. Get a good pick in a bad year and come back next year.

Don’t battle for a mid table finish to show everyone how brave we are. Finishing between 5th and 14th after making a Grand Final isn’t brave, its stupid.
So tank and incur more draft sanctions ??

Of course he'd still be paid, but his primary cause of moving was to get to Geelong and only Geelong. Sloane is sounding a bit more open in that he has the attitude of getting back to Victoria as a priority means he is open to moving to any side there if you believe what was posted previously.

I recall Sloane saying that he thought there should be a 'loyalty' bonus for players staying at their club. It's silly not to think that money is something that will play a part in his decision. Obviously, a hundred gorillas per year isn't worth leaving your teammates for and getting thrashed every week. But when you combine $300k-$400k per year more, plus better opportunities/cash for Belinda, plus better out of footy earning potential for himself, it's understandable that we might be well up against it. It definitely gives us a better chance that he's not fixed on a certain club, but the reality is that once a player does choose the best deal that they're after, then that's where they're going. And if not, we still need to be able to match the offer that's put on the table, otherwise we'll be sucking up pick 16 or so. Having said that, his manager doesn't want any huge hassle, so will be ensuring that the clubs pitching to them understand that they might have to pony up decent draft picks in exchange.

Agree but if we have a few injuries and lose a few games early and our only hope is 7th or 8th, can we please have a very poor year and finish as low as we can. Get a good pick in a bad year and come back next year.

Don’t battle for a mid table finish to show everyone how brave we are. Finishing between 5th and 14th after making a Grand Final isn’t brave, its stupid.

Do you really think that we've moved beyond the, "make the 8 and anything can happen culture"? If we're struggling, you can bet that we'll double down on experience and attempted continuity to see if we can scrape into the 8. It's our mission statement, "Make the 8 and anything can happen".

Draft sanctions damage? We just made a GF for crying out loud. We will not rebuild if we lose Sloane, just like we didn't when we lost Danger. Not until Tex, Sauce, Betts, Talia, Lynch, Gibbs etc all move on will that occur, which won't be for 2-3 years.
Reckon that if we play our cards right trade/draft/development/selection-wise from where we are now, we wont have much of a rebuild and our window...

window [e].jpg

Agreed. One of our big minuses is we are not getting games into the younger players. Walshy's aim was to get as many 50 plus players as possible.

It's not really a minus seeing you only want to give games to players the club reckons is going to be an upgrade on the incubent, and we have been rather good at fast tracking these types (Lever, McGovern, Milera)/we have a good feel for this type of stuff.

Draft sanctions damage? We just made a GF for crying out loud. We will not rebuild if we lose Sloane, just like we didn't when we lost Danger. Not until Tex, Sauce, Betts, Talia, Lynch, Gibbs etc all move on will that occur, which won't be for 2-3 years.

Draft sanction damage because we are permanently going to feel the loss of potentially 4 upgrades to our side. We've done well to mitigate that damage as much as possible but you can see it in our game plan being heavily outside based and the weaker players ended up surviving in our side.

If we bomb this year, it's rebuild time seeing we have multiple first round picks and the grand final loss has done mental damage. If we do well, we don't regardless of what Sloane does (seeing if he doesn't develop the ability to handle the tag, it's best for us to let him go).

It's not really a minus seeing you only want to give games to players the club reckons is going to be an upgrade on the incubent, and we have been rather good at fast tracking these types (Lever, McGovern, Milera)/we have a good feel for this type of stuff.

Draft sanction damage because we are permanently going to feel the loss of potentially 4 upgrades to our side. We've done well to mitigate that damage as much as possible but you can see it in our game plan being heavily outside based and the weaker players ended up surviving in our side.

If we bomb this year, it's rebuild time seeing we have multiple first round picks and the grand final loss has done mental damage. If we do well, we don't regardless of what Sloane does (seeing if he doesn't develop the ability to handle the tag, it's best for us to let him go).

I think I'll take 3 more years of Sloane over pick 16 or worse in the next draft.

I think I'll take 3 more years of Sloane over pick 16 or worse in the next draft.

Considering his price tag if he can't handle a tag, i'd rather pick 16 (assuming we don't bomb)

Considering his price tag if he can't handle a tag, i'd rather pick 16 (assuming we don't bomb)

He's been tagged half a dozen times. He won't be the first to struggle early but work out a way to beat it. Plus, I'd like to think our coaches will pull their heads out of their asses and work out a way to use his strengths and make it hard for his tagger to be effective. Continuing to send him in to be stationary at stoppages is sheer pig-headedness or incompetence. But yeh, if he goes through next year being beaten by a tag, then I certainly don't want heaps of cash tied up in him.

He's been tagged half a dozen times. He won't be the first to struggle early but work out a way to beat it. Plus, I'd like to think our coaches will pull their heads out of their asses and work out a way to use his strengths and make it hard for his tagger to be effective. Continuing to send him in to be stationary at stoppages is sheer pig-headedness or incompetence. But yeh, if he goes through next year being beaten by a tag, then I certainly don't want heaps of cash tied up in him.

Even if Sloane is leaving he would want to perform or his potential offer could be heavily reduced

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do I need to call the RSPCA? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if Sloane is leaving he would want to perform or his potential offer could be heavily reduced

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think there's any risk of Sloane not giving his absolute all every week of the year. He won't fail to beat a tag through lack of effort or desire either. He'll leave it all on the field, exactly the same way that Danger did. But you're right, if he keeps getting beaten by a c+ grader hard tag, then there's a fair chance that his value will plummet.

I would prefer to keep Sloane full stop & think we will... but won't be devastated if he moves for family seasons.

I don't think there's any risk of Sloane not giving his absolute all every week of the year. He won't fail to beat a tag through lack of effort or desire either. He'll leave it all on the field, exactly the same way that Danger did. But you're right, if he keeps getting beaten by a c+ grader hard tag, then there's a fair chance that his value will plummet.
He did much better with the tag once the umpires starting giving him frees for illegal tactics.

With both Crouches & Gibbs, it will take more than nullifying Sloane to beat our midfield.

He did much better with the tag once the umpires starting giving him frees for illegal tactics.

With both Crouches & Gibbs, it will take more than nullifying Sloane to beat our midfield.

That's the thing, in the hustle and bustle of a stoppage, it's the easiest place on the field to illegally negate a player. It's much harder if Sloane is arriving at stoppages in motion, rather than being stationary amongst the throng of bodies. Or play him as a hard running wingman, he'd drop to 25 touches, but he'd be enormous working up and down the ground. And dangerous running ahead of the ball and using his very good overhead ability.

That's the thing, in the hustle and bustle of a stoppage, it's the easiest place on the field to illegally negate a player. It's much harder if Sloane is arriving at stoppages in motion, rather than being stationary amongst the throng of bodies. Or play him as a hard running wingman, he'd drop to 25 touches, but he'd be enormous working up and down the ground. And dangerous running ahead of the ball and using his very good overhead ability.
With Gibbs arrival, we can either of them off a wing as needed... along with either having stints across HB or up forward.

Gives us more options. Also, Greenwood going up a level gives us more flexibility too.

With Gibbs arrival, we can either of them off a wing as needed... along with either having stints across HB or up forward.

Gives us more options. Also, Greenwood going up a level gives us more flexibility too.

Was thinking of Greenwood as I was reading your first sentence. But he looks like he's limping into the preseason and may not have improved his tank from last year. But, both Crouch's should be fitter again.

You're making massive assumptions that the 4 guys we picked would be stars. Would we be massively better if we had Tim O'Brien and Tim Broomhead in the side? No we wouldn't. And don't give me mental damage stuff, you're pulling that completely out of nowhere, they haven't even played a second of football in 2018 and you're already acting like the players have given up.

The gameplan is heavily outside based because that's how Pyke wants it. The best way to move the ball quickly and precisely is to have it on the outside.

I think your point is well made, but perhaps a different one to what you intended.

Which that we could be as little as 2-3 years away from needing a total rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back