Game of Sloane (THE OFFICIAL HE IS STAYING thread) Thread now closed

Do you think Sloane will stay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand why.

Rockliff, Matt Crouch and Tom Mitchell are all very similar types of players. They get a tonne of inside ball, but unless they're getting the ball into the hands of someone who can damage the opposition they're not hugely effective on their own. They're the types of players who can rack up 30+ possession, but the team still gets thrashed.

I think Gibbs will add far more to our midfield.

I agree Gibbs is a far better fit for us (and a better player than Rockliff) but given Rocky was a FA, I thought we could've played Sloane more outside.

Anyway, we - and as footy4ever mentioned, plenty of other clubs - clearly have no time for Rocky.

I think a loyalty bonus to all players with the club they were drafted to. I helps reestablish the art of drafting (as opposed to merely recruiting) and would prevent some of the ho home factor.

The AFLPA wanted free agency to increase players ability to move, something g which is not really and issue now. but this would increase player payments so I don't think they would be hugely opposed.

Agreed, I think a 10% loyalty bonus, on top of their contract, paid outside of the cap for every year after their 8th season they remain at the club. That way it's decent, but not insane.

Question is whether it's available to all players, i.e. traded then plays >8 years like Thommo, or just those that are drafted to the club. Problem is if it's all, we might see more players jumping ship after their first contract, so they'll qualify at another club, albeit 2 years later.

A benefit purely for the star (and already highest earning) players?

Not necessarily! I highly doubt that Doughty, Reilly etc would be considered as stars and there have been plenty of players over the years who have been one club players but wouldn’t have been highest paid over that time e.g. Truck Rutten.

I agree Gibbs is a far better fit for us (and a better player than Rockliff) but given Rocky was a FA, I thought we could've played Sloane more outside.

Anyway, we - and as footy4ever mentioned, plenty of other clubs - clearly have no time for Rocky.

Question has to be asked though would getting Rocky and keeping our two 2017 1sts been a better solution?

Noting that potentially Rocky also has more years left in him than say Gibbs.

I think there's a very serious risk of overextending ourselves in this contract offer to Sloane. We'd all love him to stay and we need him at his best but IMHO it shouldn't be at Martin/Kelly/Tom Lynch levels of salary/contract length. He's an excellent player - and heart and soul - but just not quite in that elite bracket for me. Hope we keep him but don't sell the farm.
Herein lies the difference between a Rory Sloane and a Jake Lever for mine. He'll obviously want / expect fair remuneration from the club for his next contract, but he wouldn't be looking to extract every last cent from us. He is the epitome of team player imo.

Question has to be asked though would getting Rocky and keeping our two 2017 1sts been a better solution?

Yep - that is the tradeoff.

I guess you can also add in - who would be better for the team dynamic? Rockliff doesn't exactly leave Brisbane with a plethora of Lions players saying how they'll miss his leadership (or miss anything at all)

Yep - that is the tradeoff.

I guess you can also add in - who would be better for the team dynamic? Rockliff doesn't exactly leave Brisbane with a plethora of Lions players saying how they'll miss his leadership (or miss anything at all)
This is probably a debate for another thread but Rockliff wasn't looked at by us because he is too similar to the current crop of midfielders that we have. It's the same as to why Lyons was shipped out a year or so ago and the same reason why Neale would not be a great fit for us either.

You can't just say he is a good player who costs us nothing in terms of trade currency so we should get him and we are instantly better. It doesn't work that way. There is only so many similar types that you can carry in the team, especially in the midfield. Our improvement this year is in good part due to a better balanced midfield than at any time in the last few years. Mixed size, mixed pace, two way running....a nice mix of different types where each player offers something different to the other. Gibbs is by far the better fit!

No Rockliff has had the wrong kind of mentally to injuries to go much past 31-32 years of age. games lost thru, Quad, Ribs, Hamstring Calf, Shoulder, lost a few games thru illness. over the last 5 years. He last being full shoulder reconstruction which he is currently recovering from.
The question I have is will he play a full season, as the last time he played a full season was 2012.

Herein lies the difference between a Rory Sloane and a Jake Lever for mine. He'll obviously want / expect fair remuneration from the club for his next contract, but he wouldn't be looking to extract every last cent from us. He is the epitome of team player imo.
I hope you're right and I think there's been no reason to doubt Sloane based on everything he's done for us - but still as Crows supporters we're a little gun shy...

This is probably a debate for another thread but Rockliff wasn't looked at by us because he is too similar to the current crop of midfielders that we have. It's the same as to why Lyons was shipped out a year or so ago and the same reason why Neale would not be a great fit for us either.

You can't just say he is a good player who costs us nothing in terms of trade currency so we should get him and we are instantly better. It doesn't work that way. There is only so many similar types that you can carry in the team, especially in the midfield. Our improvement this year is in good part due to a better balanced midfield than at any time in the last few years. Mixed size, mixed pace, two way running....a nice mix of different types where each player offers something different to the other. Gibbs is by far the better fit!

Is a great point & part of what made Roo-Mcleod-Goodwin-Johnson so effective.

No idea whether rory will stay or go next year but on the available evidence i would suggest that next year will most likely be his last year at the club. I feel it will come down to where his wife has greater media opportunities, which is melbourne. I feel if we can land jgov and have 5 picks in the top 20 of next years so called "superdraft" i won't be unhappy. This would require getting compensated for rory as a contracted player. Hopefully he leaves as a premiership player if he does decide to move

Last edited:
No idea whether rory will stay or go next year but on the available evidence i would suggest that next year will most likely be his last year at the club. I feel it will come down to where his wife has greater media opportunities, which is melbourne. I feel if we can land jgov and have 5 picks in the top 20 of next years so called "superdraft" i won't be unhappy. This would require getting compensated for rory as a contracted player. Hopefully he leaves as a premiership player if he does decide to move
You know you’ve contradicted yourself? No idea but on available evidence he’ll go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no available factual evidence of this nature

Your evidence is purely assumption based

Rory will be a one club player and it will get done sooner rather than later

Agreed, I think a 10% loyalty bonus, on top of their contract, paid outside of the cap for every year after their 8th season they remain at the club. That way it's decent, but not insane.

Question is whether it's available to all players, i.e. traded then plays >8 years like Thommo, or just those that are drafted to the club. Problem is if it's all, we might see more players jumping ship after their first contract, so they'll qualify at another club, albeit 2 years later.

I think there needs to be some early qualifying criteria, say someone is not getting a game so they move then hit the 8 years, they deserve to qualify but someone that plays say 35-50 games won't qualify for a new club, or a certain amount of games in the seasons prior? There would be a way to do it, Lever wouldn't have qualified as he was an entrenched player and played enough games not to warrant leaving for opportunity.

I think there's a very serious risk of overextending ourselves in this contract offer to Sloane. We'd all love him to stay and we need him at his best but IMHO it shouldn't be at Martin/Kelly/Tom Lynch levels of salary/contract length. He's an excellent player - and heart and soul - but just not quite in that elite bracket for me. Hope we keep him but don't sell the farm.
Would be around 850k. Rory staying or going will not come down to money imo. Generally these decisions are made as a partnership with your wife and their wishes would be a major contributing factor.

He is an UNRESTRICTED free agent next year. That means: no opportunity to match, no trades, not a contracted player. If he wants to leave, he leaves. We are then at the mercy of the AFL's compensation system.

There is no available factual evidence of this nature

Your evidence is purely assumption based

Rory will be a one club player and it will get done sooner rather than later
Tend to agree but for Christ's sake TSR you are batting at 0.00 with these calls, don't put the kiss of death on Sloaney too!

:p

He is an UNRESTRICTED free agent next year. That means: no opportunity to match, no trades, not a contracted player. If he wants to leave, he leaves. We are then at the mercy of the AFL's compensation system.
You may be right but this link to the list of out of contract players says otherwise.

Below is what the AFL explanation says and my reading of that is that Sloane would be a RFA as (i) this is the first time he's come out of contract post 8 years' service and (ii) he's in the top 25% of salaries.

Vooligan - do you have other info/views?

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club.

For example, a player who is contracted after his seventh year for one, two, three, four or five years will be eligible for restricted free agency when next out of contract having completed either eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 seasons respectively.

A top 25 per cent player is eligible for unrestricted free agency when next out of contract, provided a player can never be an unrestricted free agent until completing at least 10 years’ service at one club.

For example, a player who signs a one-year contract after his eighth season is not eligible for unrestricted free agency until he has completed at least 10 years’ service.

Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft. The tabled offer includes only football payments and Additional Service Agreements (ASA) amounts.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Primary List

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.

Players who are not in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for unrestricted free agency if they have served at least eight years with the club.

Rookie List

A rookie list player who retires is not eligible to be a free agent.

A first-year rookie not receiving a second-year rookie contract offer is considered a delisted player and therefore is an unrestricted free agent.

A first-year rookie not accepting a second-year rookie contract offer is not considered a delisted player and must nominate and go through the draft.

A second-year rookie not accepting a third-year rookie contract offer is considered a delisted player and therefore is an unrestricted free agent.

You may be right but this link to the list of out of contract players says otherwise.

Below is what the AFL explanation says and my reading of that is that Sloane would be a RFA as (i) this is the first time he's come out of contract post 8 years' service and (ii) he's in the top 25% of salaries.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club.

For example, a player who is contracted after his seventh year for one, two, three, four or five years will be eligible for restricted free agency when next out of contract having completed either eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 seasons respectively.

A top 25 per cent player is eligible for unrestricted free agency when next out of contract, provided a player can never be an unrestricted free agent until completing at least 10 years’ service at one club.

For example, a player who signs a one-year contract after his eighth season is not eligible for unrestricted free agency until he has completed at least 10 years’ service.

Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft. The tabled offer includes only football payments and Additional Service Agreements (ASA) amounts.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Primary List

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.

Players who are not in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for unrestricted free agency if they have served at least eight years with the club.

Rookie List

A rookie list player who retires is not eligible to be a free agent.

A first-year rookie not receiving a second-year rookie contract offer is considered a delisted player and therefore is an unrestricted free agent.

A first-year rookie not accepting a second-year rookie contract offer is not considered a delisted player and must nominate and go through the draft.

A second-year rookie not accepting a third-year rookie contract offer is considered a delisted player and therefore is an unrestricted free agent.
Thanks for the info. :)

I hope that link is correct, and he is a restricted free agent - because that gives us the opportunity to match and force a trade. However, I was under the impression that after players have served ten years and out of contract, they are automatically unrestricted free agents no matter what their salary. I'm happy to be wrong on this one, but I'll do some more investigating.

Footywire has Rory listed as a RFA at the end of 2018

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.23.10 pm.png

Thanks for the info. :)

I hope that link is correct, and he is a restricted free agent - because that gives us the opportunity to match and force a trade. However, I was under the impression that after players have served ten years and out of contract, they are automatically unrestricted free agents no matter what their salary. I'm happy to be wrong on this one, but I'll do some more investigating.
I think the ten year clause only applies if it is NOT their first time coming out of contract post eight years' service. In Sloane's case it IS the first time he's come out of contract post eight years' service AND he's in the top 25% so therefore he's an RFA. I'm Bob Neil, that's my take.

Gibbs is a whole 13 months older than Rockliff and has been far more durable. I wouldn't be surprised if Rocky retires before Gibbs.

I was talking about sloane signing a 3 year contract extension now on a heavily front ended contract. If he decided to not honour the final 2 years of his contract and return home, i presume that would not be as a free agent? Sloane is a no bs upfront guy and i am sure he will let the club know his long term plans. He is also a champion of the comp and is worth 2 first round picks. Pick 3 and 10 is fair value. Just because dangerflog decided to * us over on the way out in regards to what we received for him does not mean sloane is of the same character. If sloane wants to go home at the end of next year, the ideal situation would be him going to north melb, carlton or st kilda which should have pick 1 to 5. Would use that on izak rankine if available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back