Game of Sloane (THE OFFICIAL HE IS STAYING thread) Thread now closed

Do you think Sloane will stay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You always say the player will stay.....but you tend to be very very wrong
I said Lever was going, Gov was staying & no idea about CC... but was a gut feel.

This one is from inside, so make of it of what you want.

Compo has already been flagged up by the commission as being on the endangered list

It’s a question of when not if FA compo is abolished
Will be interesting to see what they come up with because the losing club will have to get something somehow. Fundamentally I am so against the concept of a compo pick as it penalises the other clubs, by having their pick pushed back, so another club can get a free go.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with because the losing club will have to get something somehow. Fundamentally I am so against the concept of a compo pick as it penalises the other clubs, by having their pick pushed back, so another club can get a free go.

The losing definitely absolutely does NOT need to get something

What they get is cap space to recruit an alternative, and that is where it’s heading

Di
The losing definitely absolutely does NOT need to get something

What they get is cap space to recruit an alternative, and that is where it’s heading
Difference of opinion. When you lose a good player I believe you should get something in return. Cap space doesn't necessarily replace the whole that is left when a player like Sloane leaves. Plus the other side of the equation is that a club gaining the services of the player shouldnt get him for free. To me its like rubbing salt into the wound. You lose a great player and then the opposition clubs get him for free. Anyway it will be interesting to see what the AFL does.

Di

Difference of opinion. When you lose a good player I believe you should get something in return. Cap space doesn't necessarily replace the whole that is left when a player like Sloane leaves. Plus the other side of the equation is that a club gaining the services of the player shouldnt get him for free. To me its like rubbing salt into the wound. You lose a great player and then the opposition clubs get him for free. Anyway it will be interesting to see what the AFL does.

It’s not an opinion and it’s not a matter of opinion

That IS where free agency is heading, and where most free agency around the world already is

It’s not a question of opinion

The club really needs to rethink this policy it appears to have of running down contracts and not renegotiating until the last year.

There’s one ace we have up our sleeve against free agency and that’s that we’re the only club that can give a pay increase for a year already contracted.

For example, let’s say Sloane is on $700k. Going rate now is $1m.

Last year we should have signed him up to $1m so he got a $300k increase last year.

No other club can pay him that extra $300k. Only us.

It’s the price you pay to secure your stars.

That IS where free agency is heading, and where most free agency around the world already is

Regardless of whether Compo picks are heading in that direction it still doesnt mean I have to like it. It doesnt mean I have to change my opinion. I may have to accept it but in my opinion I still believe that the losing club should get something other than cap space.

Maybe but clubs have been fairly slow to pick that up. There's been a couple of cases, like Lake for example.

As you point out, the player has to agree to the trade, and that's the roadblock for clubs.

You get the odd nuffie saying we should have traded danger for 2 firsts that Melbourne supposedly were prepared to pay. Nice in theory, but really he wouldn't agree to that trade when he was clearly waiting to get to your mob the next year.
Clubs are slow to pick up what? They still get compo so there's far less incentive to ship off players early. Im not even talking about rfa where so long as you match you force a trade. Im saying that the idea you dont get compo anymore will see a shift in how clubs operate. You can be sure theyll only sign players to a length of contract falling a year out from their ufa period elapsing.

If a nuffy says you shoulda sent danger packin to melb a year early then clearly they have nfi what theyre talkin about. But you get that all the time. Nuffies be everywhere!

It's not a straightforward as you suggest, otherwise it would already be in place.

The issue is many of the lower clubs tend to lose good players to free agency, as they want to move to a successful club... so the AFL doesn't want to remove compensation, as the the weaker clubs only become weaker.

I would like to see the receiving club lose say half the points of the compensation pick for the player they receive. Still needs to be an incentive for the easy movement of players.

It depends on what the player wants. Danger wanted Geelong, everyone knew that, so we had no leverage in trading him early. He wouldn't agree to it since he only wanted Geelong, Geelong wouldnt agree to it since they knew he was their only choice and wanted him for nothing, so why spend picks early?
Rarely will you have a scenario thats so cut n dry like dangers was. You might have many scenarios where players like lever want out back to melb to the highest bidder though.

For example, if rory wanted back to melb end of next year and the club knew 12 months out they have either 2 choices. Try and force a trade in the trade period just gone or let the inevitable happen and lose him for sweet f all. Whats the club gonna do? If rory says "i want saints and saints only" then the club could go to them and say "heres the scenario, you can have him a year early and give us something or have him next year for nothing". You never know you might even get a 2nd rounder out of them?

The other scenario could be that if a player wants the highest bidder a club might say "here you go rory its a year out we wanna offer you big bucks now and to ensure we secure you well even do a deal with the crows with a draft pick so they will guarantee they will trade you to us". If a players about money and all things being equal, the club might offer it a year early with a pick to get the deal done.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club really needs to rethink this policy it appears to have of running down contracts and not renegotiating until the last year.

There’s one ace we have up our sleeve against free agency and that’s that we’re the only club that can give a pay increase for a year already contracted.

For example, let’s say Sloane is on $700k. Going rate now is $1m.

Last year we should have signed him up to $1m so he got a $300k increase last year.

No other club can pay him that extra $300k. Only us.

It’s the price you pay to secure your stars.
That's not the clubs policy it has signed players way out and tried to sign Rory this year. Not much they can do if players want to wait.

We will never do that. Don't have the stones. We will hold on to the bitter end thinking "we just need one more year out of them and maybe it will all come together". It's the natural extension of our "Just make the 8 and anything can happen" philosophy of mediocrity.

All the while clueless to the reality that having the sword of Damocles hanging over the club all year by want away skabs and their media circus really does have a damaging effect on the psyche of the club, the supporters and ultimately the playing group.

We have no one, apparently, who can see that that prolonged sense of ever-building season-long negativity reaching its climax right during finals, when everyone should be reading from the same page with minimal outside distraction, outweighs the contribution any individual can make.
Look dude i really dont have any idea what youre on about but all ill say is that if fa compo goes then ALL clubs will react swiftly and it will change the landscape of clubs list management. And not for the better if club loyalty is ultimately what the fans desire.

Regardless of whether Compo picks are heading in that direction it still doesnt mean I have to like it. It doesnt mean I have to change my opinion. I may have to accept it but in my opinion I still believe that the losing club should get something other than cap space.

Fine. But you are just trying to insulate them from the realities that their decision making needs to account for

I'm starting to wonder about this. It was flagged very early that compo would be going the way if the dodo and yet it's still here. I can't think of a logical reason to delay this if it's 100% dead in the water. I think that being able to match RFA offers might be holding them back. I don't think it should, but the AFL aren't always the best decision makers.

I'm starting to wonder about this. It was flagged very early that compo would be going the way if the dodo and yet it's still here. I can't think of a logical reason to delay this if it's 100% dead in the water. I think that being able to match RFA offers might be holding them back. I don't think it should, but the AFL aren't always the best decision makers.
As I mentioned earlier, the AFL will not get rid of FA compensation, as the players tend to leave weaker clubs for stronger clubs, for better finals opportunities. If they remove compensation, the weaker clubs become weaker, which is not in the AFL's best interests.

What i would like to see if the receiving club lose half of the compensation pick points for their next draft. Can't lose all points, because still needs an incentive for FA movement.

As I mentioned earlier, the AFL will not get rid of FA compensation, as the players tend to leave weaker clubs for stronger clubs, for better finals opportunities. If they remove compensation, the weaker clubs become weaker, which is not in the AFL's best interests.

What i would like to see if the receiving club lose half of the compensation pick points for their next draft. Can't lose all points, because still needs an incentive for FA movement.

That's probably more like it. The AFL probably thought there'd be more players going to s**t clubs with heaps of cap space, but so far it hasn't played out that way. Definitely delaying what was a foregone conclusion in the early days. Must be doubts about if rather than when at present.

Which Free Agent move do you think would be refused if the club receiving the player had to cough up compo in some form? I think Points work best personally, but whatever it is.

There has to be some cost, or it just doesn't work as far as equalisation is concerned.

FA should be 6 years at one club (no RFA).

If there were only mid-round band compensation based on final contract before FA avg yearly $ ... like:

Top 25% earners at the club = 1469 points (Pick 9)
25-50% earners at the club = 703 points (Pick 27)
50-75% earners at the club = 347 points (Pick 45)
Bottom 25% = FREE

These points are taken from the highest (worst) pick the player-gaining club has in the matching round with the required points.

If the club can't get the points in the round required, they can't get the player.

The player-leaving club gets the pick, any other clubs with the same compo-pick is sorted in reverse ladder order.

Example - Sloane going to St Kilda - Say Sloane is on a 3 year $2.1 million contract now - that's $700k which puts him in the top 25% - we get pick 9, the Saints have picks 7 and 8 in the first round of the draft ... they give up 8 (1,551) and the remaining 82 points filter down to their next pick.

No forced trades, no bull dust AFL hidden rules - just FA player movement with some compensation / costs built in.

Isn't Matt Crouch up this year

Who would you rather lose Crouch or Sloane

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good question, tough choice, but probably Sloane. I don't think Matt will get tagged out of games whereas Sloane hasn't beaten one yet after a number of attempts. If we had a coaching panel that didn't have 120% belief in our system overcoming adversity, then Sloane may not be as susceptible. But we don't. Plus Matt is much younger. I probably see Sloane's departure for $1.2m+ as a fait accomplis as well, so I'm resigned to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back