FTA-TV Game of Thrones Season 1 (spoilers)

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I find it weird to see newcomers through the HBO series hating on characters like Joffrey with current memes when to me he's been a dick for quite a while.

Anyway, how hot was Daenarys with smudges of soot over her naked body?

hawks_time

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2008
Nowhere in particular
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
I find it weird to see newcomers through the HBO series hating on characters like Joffrey with current memes when to me he's been a dick for quite a while.
Is this you HP?
U4zpG.png

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Just started reading the book & interested to see that in the book John Snow is only 14 & is much older in the show.

Does the book skip forward in time or have they just cast him as older?

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
Just started reading the book & interested to see that in the book John Snow is only 14 & is much older in the show.

Does the book skip forward in time or have they just cast him as older?

They've aged Jon up. Same with Robb, Dany, Sansa, Arya, Rickon, even Ned who was around 35 in the books when Sean Bean is 52 in real life.

Here's a good article about it and some of the reasons why:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11107/1139440-67-0.stm?cmpid=newspanel0

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm scared to read through this thread. Is it filled with book spoilers?
No. It's spoilers for the series, as it's only just started on Foxtel here, not spoilers for the books. Where those of us who have read the books make a comment we've wrapped it in spoiler tags and stated as such, so it's safe to read from the start.

Watched the whole series on the weekend, it was quite good one of those shows that really sucks you in.

As someone who hasn't read the books though my main gripe is that in tv shows its the characters that really suck you in sure a show might have a good storyline but you keep watching because the characters are enjoyable.

I can see people who love the books watching no matter what but for the others I can see viewers dropping off if they randomly knock off main characters from week to week, would be interesting to hear the pov from people who like the book am I right or do they introduce enough new talent to keep things flowing and interesting?

Watched the whole series on the weekend, it was quite good one of those shows that really sucks you in.

As someone who hasn't read the books though my main gripe is that in tv shows its the characters that really suck you in sure a show might have a good storyline but you keep watching because the characters are enjoyable.

I can see people who love the books watching no matter what but for the others I can see viewers dropping off if they randomly knock off main characters from week to week, would be interesting to hear the pov from people who like the book am I right or do they introduce enough new talent to keep things flowing and interesting?

Yes. However, they really flesh out a lot of the current characters. Without saying too much, Jaime Lannister for one will play a far more prominent role in the next season.

Yes. However, they really flesh out a lot of the current characters. Without saying too much, Jaime Lannister for one will play a far more prominent role in the next season.

The lannister's just s**t me my concern is how many non fans of the books will care when only the annoying characters are left

The lannister's just s**t me my concern is how many non fans of the books will care when only the annoying characters are left

Tyrion is a brilliant character. Martin's universe isn't black or white. Far more to Jaime than you would think from the very little you've seen so far.

Also another character gets introduced who plays a large role that I really enjoyed in the book, though I'm not sure how well she'll translate to the small screen.

Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
Anyone who has read the original book, can you answer this for me?

I'm reading the first book that came out after the TV series and I feel like I'm reading a script for the actual TV show. Was the TV series that faithful to the book and did the book change in any way?

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone who has read the original book, can you answer this for me?

I'm reading the first book that came out after the TV series and I feel like I'm reading a script for the actual TV show. Was the TV series that faithful to the book and did the book change in any way?
If you're reading the book you'll find out yourself soon enough, it's not a new book after the TV series, just a new cover on Game of Thrones to take advantage of the publicity :) It's fairly faithful. Even with the budget there was still a few things cut / modified to get it into 10 episodes. Only really the one character missing from the books that's annoyed a fair number of fans of the books (the Blackfish - which isn't a spoiler as if you haven't read up to him yet or haven't read the books that means nothing).

If you want to know the differences between the books and the series, then Game of Thrones Episodes guide will tell you what chapters each TV episode corresponds to, what's been cut, what's changed and new scenes.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm watching it again on Foxtel so I can see it on a bigger screen and I'll add foxtel was obviously too cheap to bother doing much research into what the show is about. Their 'next show coming up' spiel with 'In the game of power you live or you die', instead of saying 'In the game of thrones you win or you die', has me wanting to write them an abusive email at the start of each episode. How hard is it to get that right? :mad:

Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
I actually had the privelege of receiving all of the series on a hard drive and being able to watch it over a few nights in my home theatre on my own so saw the thing in all its glory immediately.
Once I finish the book I'll be watching the second half again as for some reason the first half is still very clear in my head but I've gone a bit hazy on the last few eps?
I've certainly come across Blackfish where I'm at in the book but only early days there. The book has helped clear up some half-stories in the show so it's definitely worth having a read.

Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
Got two Emmy's including one last year for the Openine Sequence but no surprises for Tyrion getting Best Supporting Actor! (Peter Drinklage)

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
OK so I've just watched the whole first series over the past 3 days. Took me 4 episodes to really get hooked but from there it was amazing. The finale was a bit of a let down but I couldn't be more excited about the 2nd season. Kind of wish I held off for a while so I could jump straight into it when it starts again.

I can't say how faithful they are, having never read the books, but the characterisations are so rich. King Robert, Tyrion, Jaime, Daenerys, Jon Snow etc, all well defined and interesting characters. The acting is fantastic too, with Daenerys, Tyrion, Robb Stark and Arya impressing me most. The bloke playing Viserys was probably the best of the lot, very disappointed we've seen the last of him.

Some fantastic scenes too, such as the deer skinning introduction of Tywin and the sword lessons with Arya. The death of Ned was the best though. I can't imagine it could've been any more effective than that in the book.

Back