FTA-TV Game of Thrones Season 1 (spoilers)

Remove this Banner Ad

If 4 and 5 aren't that good then the series isn't that good because that's basically half the series . . . i'm reading book 2 at the moment and it's not as good as book 1.

If 4 and 5 aren't that good then the series isn't that good because that's basically half the series . . . i'm reading book 2 at the moment and it's not as good as book 1.

Book 5 is great. People are kidding themselves if they think otherwise. unrealistic expecatations.

Book 4 was dull in terms of major events. purely because it only used half the characters POV. And at that not the best characters. It is still a good read, just not in the same league as the other books.

Book 5 is great. People are kidding themselves if they think otherwise. unrealistic expecatations.

Book 4 was dull in terms of major events. purely because it only used half the characters POV. And at that not the best characters. It is still a good read, just not in the same league as the other books.
Book 5 was an improvement on book 4, but still not as good as books 1 to 3. Martin himself has said since it was released the Fire and Ice battles (anyone who hasn't read that far that won't spoil it in the least) had to be pushed back to book 6 as his editor said it'd be too long otherwise. So from the man himself the book 5 we got was not the book 5 he intended us to have. It's missing the key last quarter / third of it.

Book 5 was an improvement on book 4, but still not as good as books 1 to 3. Martin himself has said since it was released the Fire and Ice battles (anyone who hasn't read that far that won't spoil it in the least) had to be pushed back to book 6 as his editor said it'd be too long otherwise. So from the man himself the book 5 we got was not the book 5 he intended us to have. It's missing the key last quarter / third of it.

Why are people so keen to put down book 5?

There were big question marks about whether George could get the series back on track after one (so,so) book in 10 years. book 5 firmly answered that query in the affirmative. For me it was a fantastic book.

So the two battles were pushed back, a shame, but still the book was choc full of great chapters. i'm not sure what the critics were expecting. I guess things always seem better in nostaligia, which is why we fondly look back on previous editions. IMO this book is on the same rung as book 1 and 2. Book 3 is slightly ahead.

Why are people so keen to put down book 5?

I guess things always seem better in nostaligia, which is why we fondly look back on previous editions. IMO this book is on the same rung as book 1 and 2. Book 3 is slightly ahead.
I don't think it's nostalgia, it's something that happens to quite a few big epic fantasy series. You have the ripping start and finish, but runs into trouble in the middle moving everyone into place and ensuring all the events that need to occur before the big finish have occurred.

Book 5 the big gripe for me was
the Dany chapters. The introspection could have been in half the chapters allowing at least one of the Ice or Fire battles to be included. Without one of those it felt like what it was, two-thirds or three-quarters of a full book.

As for rating them, mine would be Book 3 just shading book 1 > Book 2 > Book 5 >> Book 4.

I don't think it's nostalgia, it's something that happens to quite a few big epic fantasy series. You have the ripping start and finish, but runs into trouble in the middle moving everyone into place and ensuring all the events that need to occur before the big finish have occurred.

Book 5 the big gripe for me was
the Dany chapters. The introspection could have been in half the chapters allowing at least one of the Ice or Fire battles to be included. Without one of those it felt like what it was, two-thirds or three-quarters of a full book.

As for rating them, mine would be Book 3 just shading book 1 > Book 2 > Book 5 >> Book 4.

Well there is not much to argue about, as I pretty much agree with everything you have said.

I agree with your gripe. It would have been nice if it panned out that way. But overall, I was very happy with the book. At various points in the book, I would put it down and say, 'wow this is a good book'.

What gets me is why people are instinctively critical towards it, even though they then clarify it by saying, but they really liked it. It is clearly miles ahead of book 4 and gets the series back on track. It's not perfect, but I can't get people saying books 4 & 5 are poor, i mean seriously you may as well stop reading the series if you thought book 5 was poor, because your expectations have left the stratosphere.

Hopefully by the time book 7 is done, we can look back and say 'a fantastic series, book 4 was a bit slow, but either side was brilliant'.

Book five was s**t because nothing happens. Best way to look at it is to set the scene as to where everyone was at the start of the book, then take stock of where everyone is at the end of the book. The result? In the same ****ing place!

Book 3 is heads and shoulders above the rest. 3 > 1 > 2 >>>>>> 5 >>>>4

Book five was s**t because nothing happens. Best way to look at it is to set the scene as to where everyone was at the start of the book, then take stock of where everyone is at the end of the book. The result? In the same ****ing place!

You must have read a different book 5 to me then.

Books 4 and 5 were never supposed to exist in the way that they are. There was supposed to be a gap of a few years and then get back on with things.

Martin decided he wanted to fill the gap in with the one book. When that got to big he then had to split the book into two with half of the characters in one and half in the other. So books 4 and 5 should really be viewed as the one book as they are both across the same timeline.

Looking at in that way I am happy with how they books panned out as we get a better idea of how Westros is sitting in context of the powder keg that is about to explode in the next book.

I am also hopeful that the next book wont take anywhere as long as the last did to come out.

Well there is not much to argue about, as I pretty much agree with everything you have said.

I agree with your gripe. It would have been nice if it panned out that way. But overall, I was very happy with the book. At various points in the book, I would put it down and say, 'wow this is a good book'.
I don't mean to convey I didn't like book 5 (or book 4 for that matter). I didn't mind book 4 and really liked the non-Dany parts of book 5. Just that they weren't as enjoyable, or self-contained sections of the overall story that the earlier books were. Once the series is finished on re-reading I don't think that will matter so much, but when you get each years apart you hope the installment you read has some resolution within the larger on-going story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So because the characters haven't travelled far geographically the book is s**t? And you think that that is the best way to critique a book:eek:

If you want a read where the Characters move around a lot I would recommend Tin Tin, he is in a different location in every one.

If you thought book 5 was s**t, do us all a favour and just stop reading now. The summary of your opinion is that; Dany hasn't conquered Westoros and hooked up with John Snow yet = book is s**t

I don't mean to convey I didn't like book 5 (or book 4 for that matter). I didn't mind book 4 and really liked the non-Dany parts of book 5. Just that they weren't as enjoyable, or self-contained sections of the overall story that the earlier books were. Once the series is finished on re-reading I don't think that will matter so much, but when you get each years apart you hope the installment you read has some resolution within the larger on-going story.

Yeah, I think we are of pretty much the exact same opinion.

I didn't mind Dany's chapters, but they could easily have trimmed them down and removed probably two of them to include the battles. But I am happy to back George's judgement.

[youtube]pE12H1HorUU[/youtube]

First glimpse of some season 2 footage mixed in with brief interviews with the executive producers.

April 2012 can't come quick enough.

:D:D

"People become really invested in these characters and become more invested in their fates and become really worried about them."

Very worried. With good reason.

Who was that 'narrating'? One of the Baratheons? Stannis I assume?

EDIT: Missed "my brother".

Only about 1/10th in to Clash of Kings at the moment. Getting through that quicker than Game of Thrones since it's all new to me (I saw the show before reading the book).

The show seems pretty faithful to the book. I felt that the Jon Snow storyline was more exciting on the show rather than in the book. Some gratuitous sex scenes crammed in to the show that aren't in the book (at littlefinger's whore house, Renly and the knight, Theon and the whore [although could be a future book scene], and Dany and the slave girl, although the latter not really a sex scene).

I've never really read a book after seeing the show/movie. Kind of weird trying to picture some of the characters considering that they're about 4-5 years younger in the book. TV's ruined my imagination.

Who was that 'narrating'? One of the Baratheons? Stannis I assume?

EDIT: Missed "my brother".

Only about 1/10th in to Clash of Kings at the moment. Getting through that quicker than Game of Thrones since it's all new to me (I saw the show before reading the book).

The show seems pretty faithful to the book. I felt that the Jon Snow storyline was more exciting on the show rather than in the book. Some gratuitous sex scenes crammed in to the show that aren't in the book (at littlefinger's whore house, Renly and the knight, Theon and the whore [although could be a future book scene], and Dany and the slave girl, although the latter not really a sex scene).

I've never really read a book after seeing the show/movie. Kind of weird trying to picture some of the characters considering that they're about 4-5 years younger in the book. TV's ruined my imagination.

Yup, would have to be Stannis, since it's definitely not Renly.

Second trailer is obviously narrated by Varys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back