FTA-TV Game of Thrones Season 1 (spoilers)

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
Just picked up the bluray, already catching things I completely missed while watching it before. Didn't realize there were multiple whitewalkers in the background at the start. 1080 is amazing.

Totally agree, Jonesy. Been re-watching it myself and 1080 is brilliant.

I've also been loving Harry Lloyd's portrayal of Viserys. He just plays him so brilliantly pomp and entitled
that you end up kind of missing him after he is "crowned" by Drogo.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Totally agree, Jonesy. Been re-watching it myself and 1080 is brilliant.

I've also been loving Harry Lloyd's portrayal of Viserys. He just plays him so brilliantly pomp and entitled
that you end up kind of missing him after he is "crowned" by Drogo.

On the other hand he really was asking for it.

OMG. I failed a Uni assignment because I couldn't stop watching this for the past few days.

Amazing...and I'm not normally into these kinds of medieval style narratives. They just make you invest so much into the characters, it's terrific.

I have a hard time discerning who I ought to be cheering for and who I ought to be cheering against! Obviously the young king is a git and Cersei is pretty scummy but the rest are very likable. Even Viserys, I agree with those who missed him when he was gone, such an entertaining twat!

Tyrion is baws, and the actor who portrays him is top notch.

Watched it.

Feels just a slight bit discombobulated.

Too much jumping around from one scene to another in an attempt to keep the time line some what together.

Some stories should have been told before others were started on. Wouldn't have made that much difference and would've been better for continuity.

The horsemen of the mainland, the north, king's landing, the battlefields. When the armies were travelling I had no idea where anybody actually was, very poorly done.

Big sigh when they knocked out the imp to skip the battle. :thumbsdown:

Could've put in more lols with the double battle axe dude.

The **** in this series are excellent. The breastfeeding maybe slightly disturbing.

Loving the blood and gore, really think that this kind of stuff is getting better as the years go by. Not so much people faking cuts while exploding ketchup packs.

Swords and armour are just awesome. Really love period costumes like this. Should obviously win some kind of wardrobe awards.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
The show has been in steady decline since sometime during the fourth season, not even close to an all-time great at this point. They had amazing material to work with and GRRM's presence kept it somewhat aligned with his vision. Since he backed off the writers have struggled to adequately manage so many main characters and general plotting is a world away from GRRM's material.

That's not to say there haven't been some amazing moments, some of the most entertaining you'll ever see, but the overall quality is well off the likes of The Sopranos and The Wire.

The show has been in steady decline since sometime during the fourth season, not even close to an all-time great at this point. They had amazing material to work with and GRRM's presence kept it somewhat aligned with his vision. Since he backed off the writers have struggled to adequately manage so many main characters and general plotting is a world away from GRRM's material.

That's not to say there haven't been some amazing moments, some of the most entertaining you'll ever see, but the overall quality is well off the likes of The Sopranos and The Wire.

To be fair, even GRRM's had trouble maintaining so many characters, there's a reason he can't get past the Meerenese know in the books.

Last edited:

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
To be fair, even GRRM's had trouble maintaining so many characters, there's a reason he can't get past the Meerenese know in the books.
Good point, and he can sometimes get lost in his own complex web of subtext, but he's a far more talented writer than those on the show, and his grasp on the characters is ridiculous. There's plenty of time for him to ruin a few, but I have faith the majority will have satisfying conclusions.

Loving it. the "dancing" teacher is my fav, hopefully he comes back(no spoilers please, let me live unaware, and hence in hope)

When he said "what do we say to the god of death?" I fist pumped. I reckon that quote will have serious meaning perhaps in the last season

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
When he said "what do we say to the god of death?" I fist pumped. I reckon that quote will have serious meaning perhaps in the last season

Has he returned yet? Surely, the greatest swordsman who has ever lived would not be killed by Meryn effing Trant. #badwriting

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

The first four seasons were incredibly consistent. Just about every episode was engaging & made you wanting more. But the later seasons still had some great episodes & events.

The greatest scene in the whole series belongs in The Winds of Winter when we find out Jon’s true identity. It goes from the babies face to Jon’s when he is then crowned the king of the north. The mood, the music, the anticipation of what everyone thought but couldn’t entirely believe was epic on so many levels.

Actually, season six ended with two out of my five all time favourite episodes.

Last edited:

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
^ Good point, apologies

The first four seasons were incredibly consistent. Just about every episode was engaging & made you wanting more. But the later seasons still had some great episodes & events.

The greatest scene in the whole series belongs in The Winds of Winter when we find out Jon’s true identity. It goes from the babies face to Jon’s when he is then crowned the king of the north. The mood, the music, the anticipation of what everyone thought but couldn’t entirely believe was epic on so many levels.

Actually, season six ended with two out of my five all time favourite episodes.
Completely agree with all of this. I am a massive critic of the show, and have had huge problems with many aspects of it since season 4, but when they get it right it is as good as it gets. Hardhome blew my mind, many moments in The Door, Battle of the Basterds and Beyond the Wall as well. The entirety of The Winds of Winter was extremely high quality.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Finished watching tv shows like Spartacus, Rome, Black Sails, Vikings....so next obvious show to finally get into is Game of Thrones. Got all eight seasons downloaded. So will slowly eke away at it every night and over the weekends.

Just finished watching the opening episode. Found it a bit weird, a little dated. There were some epic scenes/moments in it, but also some terrible acting, bad cgi, or whatnot. But it was a good beginning. Normally, this kind of show or era or the genre itself would not interest me, but objectively still found the opening episode not as "grab you by the balls" type of an opening to what quickly ended up being one of the greatest and most popular tv shows ever made. So, I'm curious to see how/when that exactly happened. I think of shows like Goliath, Breaking Bad, Ozark, or Utopia (UK)...where they grab you by the shirt and slap you about the face from the outset, and bad s**t happens, treachery and shifting loyalties, you yell out stuff like "holy s**t", "what the *", "oh my god", or "wow, sir" at various scenes, end of episodes, find yourself ripping the lid open on the next episode right away, and round and round it goes like this, never realizing what time or day it is. I didn't see anything like that in S1E1, but I am sure it must happen at some point.

Finished watching tv shows like Spartacus, Rome, Black Sails, Vikings....so next obvious show to finally get into is Game of Thrones. Got all eight seasons downloaded. So will slowly eke away at it every night and over the weekends.

Just finished watching the opening episode. Found it a bit weird, a little dated. There were some epic scenes/moments in it, but also some terrible acting, bad cgi, or whatnot. But it was a good beginning. Normally, this kind of show or era or the genre itself would not interest me, but objectively still found the opening episode not as "grab you by the balls" type of an opening to what quickly ended up being one of the greatest and most popular tv shows ever made. So, I'm curious to see how/when that exactly happened. I think of shows like Goliath, Breaking Bad, Ozark, or Utopia (UK)...where they grab you by the shirt and slap you about the face from the outset, and bad sh*t happens, treachery and shifting loyalties, you yell out stuff like "holy sh*t", "what the fu**", "oh my god", or "wow, sir" at various scenes, end of episodes, find yourself ripping the lid open on the next episode right away, and round and round it goes like this, never realizing what time or day it is. I didn't see anything like that in S1E1, but I am sure it must happen at some point.

Are you sure you were watching the right show, i mean the first episode ends on a pretty big what the *.

Back