FTA-TV Game of Thrones Season 6 - non book readers *no spoilers until show airs*

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not? The wildfire took out half the city. The kid got out of the sewer, but didn't have time to escape the blast radius.
The damaged area didn't seem that huge when Jaime rode up afterwards. I'd say the kid had time to escape.

EDIT: Hmm. A bit bigger than I remembered. Still reckon he's alright though. Sneaky little bugger.

Finished re-watching S4 on DVD last night. Can't help but wonder how Tyrion knew where to find Tywin, given that Tywin was busy on the throne. First he went to the bedroom and found Shae in the bed, killing her without exchanging a single word. He's doesn't have time to waste, given that he's escaped from the dungeon. Tywin could have been anywhere, given that he was no doubt keeping long hours as Hand of the King. Why does Tyrion go straight to the throne room to find (and kill) him?

Classic Vader :D

Finished re-watching S4 on DVD last night. Can't help but wonder how Tyrion knew where to find Tywin, given that Tywin was busy on the throne. First he went to the bedroom and found Shae in the bed, killing her without exchanging a single word. He's doesn't have time to waste, given that he's escaped from the dungeon. Tywin could have been anywhere, given that he was no doubt keeping long hours as Hand of the King. Why does Tyrion go straight to the throne room to find (and kill) him?

Tyrion had the jerb and residence back in season 2.

Tyrion had the jerb and residence back in season 2.
Well aware of that. That means he knows the layout of the Hand of the King's quarters. It doesn't mean that he knows the exact whereabouts of the Hand 24/7. He would certainly know where to find the throne room, but knowing that Tywin was sitting on the throne at the time is entirely another matter.

Well aware of that. That means he knows the layout of the Hand of the King's quarters. It doesn't mean that he knows the exact whereabouts of the Hand 24/7. He would certainly know where to find the throne room, but knowing that Tywin was sitting on the throne at the time is entirely another matter.

He didn't know Tywin's exact whereabouts. Its not like he would have scoured the castle in his effort to find dad if he wasn't in the Hand's quarters. It was more a matter of impulse/rage/convenience once he realised Tywin had very recently been in bed with Shae.

Goes like this - after Tyrion kills Shae, he sticks his head into the loungeroom, nope. Checks meeting room, nope. Checks bathroom and toilet, oh looky here hi dad. Would have taken all of 15 seconds and if Tywin wasn't there he goes oh well and continues with his escape.

Can't believe we're still talking about this :drunk:

Does beg the question of what he thought he was doing, going to Tywin's apartment (unarmed) after being broken out of jail?

He got lucky in that Shae was in bed alone. Things could have worked out very differently for him if Tywin hadn't been sitting on the throne at the time.
But that's the marvel of story telling. Martin was able to write it the way he wanted to.

Does beg the question of what he thought he was doing, going to Tywin's apartment (unarmed) after being broken out of jail?

He got lucky in that Shae was in bed alone. Things could have worked out very differently for him if Tywin hadn't been sitting on the throne at the time.

It's speculative but I'm guessing at that hour he'd have assumed his father was asleep, and having lived there himself he'd know there were plenty of tools with which to defend himself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kinda... You can definetly tell at what point they weren't using Martin's writing anymore.

Season 5 was pretty average. And whilst the latest season had some monster episodes, there were definite weak points. All of Arya's story was handled atrociously.

Still my favourite tv show by an absolute mile, however.

There's a few things I didn't really understand. What was littlefingers plan marrying off Sansa then backflip and help her? How can Cersei just take the throne? Why did Sansa not tell Jon about the Knights of the Vale etc.

The Dorne scenes with the sand snakes are pretty terrible too.

The writing seems a bit off.

There's a few things I didn't really understand. What was littlefingers plan marrying off Sansa then backflip and help her? How can Cersei just take the throne? Why did Sansa not tell Jon about the Knights of the Vale etc.

The Dorne scenes with the sand snakes are pretty terrible too.

The writing seems a bit off.

Apparently Littlefinger really didn't know how bad Ramsay Bolton was, which is a problem in itself - whole point of his character is the guy is supposed to know everything about everyone. So I guess the plan was to engratiate himself to the warden of the north and get their support, but then when he finds out the full story he wants to make it up to Sansa coz she's probably one of the few people he actually does care for.

Cersei taking the throne is pretty shaky legally speaking, she's essentially seized it by force (or stealth might be a better word). Guess she could even argue she's the legitimate ruler now coz right of conquest is a thing (Robert's Rebellion). But seeing as in GoT land non-conquest succession is based on primogeniture (oldest legitimate child with preference to males) you can see how no one would oppose her in the short term - Tommen had no children, all Robert's other (legitimate) children are dead. Then officially I believe it goes to Robert's male brothers - Stannis, dead with 1 daughter who is also dead. Renly, dead, no children. There's a void, I doubt anyone could say with certainty who should rightfully be king once Tommen died. Cersei controls the Kings Guard and the small council and has essentially seized power.

Edit: decent write up on it here, was written before Tommen died but assumes it will happen gives you a good idea about the legalities -> http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/king-after-tommen-on-game-of-thrones.html. Unsurprisingly, Cersei isn't mentioned once :D

Yeah Sansa not telling Jon about the Knights of the Vale was a bit weird, seems like the writers were going for an issue of trust when you consider Sansa and Jon's talk in the next ep. Didn't really work for me, just a mechanism to create a bit of drama although I suppose you could argue that Sansa was hoping the Vale knights would turn up but didn't know for sure - she put the call out but never heard back as far as we know.

Dorne - yep unmitigated trash :(

But like FUS_DO_RAH said, still the best thing on TV by a mile. Early seasons were A+++, now its just A+.

Lots of inconsistencies started to appear once they left Martin's writing behind.

Hunting dogs disappearing, sand snakes inventing instantaneous travel, Rikon forgetting to zigzag, the list goes on.

Season 6 was nowhere near as good as the previous seasons, which had the books as base material.

Lots of inconsistencies started to appear once they left Martin's writing behind.

Hunting dogs disappearing, sand snakes inventing instantaneous travel, Rikon forgetting to zigzag, the list goes on.

Season 6 was nowhere near as good as the previous seasons, which had the books as base material.

Hmm yes and no, I'd argue season 6 was easily better than season 5.

Dogs disappearing is hardly a writing issue, just a continuity error which sometimes crops up in productions. And instantaneous travel/flexible timelines are just something you have to accept in a show with as many moving parts as this - to get around it and make it feel more legit you'd have to burn way too much screentime with dialogue driven scenes sitting in the back of a wagon/boat/whatever that serve absolutely no purpose except to imply passage of time. Not a big issue that they have to take some liberties with it.

Worth remembering that it was considered unfilmable for years before HBO went all in on it.

Why did Sansa not tell Jon about the Knights of the Vale etc.

It was a calculated move on her behalf. She knows Ramsay's cruel nature better than Jon and she knew that Ramsay wouldn't leave himself vulnerable to attack if he thought he had a chance of losing. We know this because we see it when Jon offers to duel him 1V1 and Ramsay laughs his offer off and tells him how the battle will be easy for him. We see that Sansa knows better than Jon and his advisors in the same episode when they ignore her during their war council. She later tells Jon that she'd rather die than go back to Ramsay so we know the stakes for her were either she dies or Ramsay dies. If Ramsay doesn't believe he had Jon's army there for the taking then he'd never have met him on an open field and the Knights of the Vale wouldn't have been able to do anything. Basically she knew that for Ramsay to die she needed to give Jon up as bait to lure Ramsay into her trap.

I agree that it seems ridiculous that she'd keep that from Jon but there was more than enough there to explain why she had to do what she did.

As for why LF sold Sansa to the Bolton's in the first place, I'm not sure tbh. I don't know if I fully believe LF when he says he had no idea of Ramsay's true nature, part of me thinks he was hoping to ride in with the KOTV and save her from it in an attempt to win her over and move a step closer to his dream (Sansa & the throne) but that was ruined when she escaped.

Yeah it was a calculated move by Little Finger to eventually come and save her or at least beat Ramsay in battle and free her. I think he knew Ramsay was a bad egg (he was Roose's son after all) but I think you have to go with what we've been shown on the show that he didn't really know/appreciate just how truly psychotic/evil Ramsay was. In the end, it what lost Sansa to him as she had to escape Ramsay's cruelty which landed her in Jon's hands.

It's a little bit a stretch but I don't find it a biggie.

IMG_0204.JPG I don't really see how any of the last season could be too heavily criticised.

The battle of the bastards was close to the most intense television I've ever seen.
The hound's return was fantastic, as was his brutal response to Lem etc

While it got a bit more complex than it needed to be, Arya's storyline was entertaining to me. Her scene with Walder Frey was 2 minutes of pure vengeful malevolence.

Danarys torching everyone was entertaining if nothing else.

The wildfire scene was handled beautifully, and captured Cersei's penchant for pure evil so well.

The quest for more soldiers was classic simply for the exchange with Lyanna Mormont.

And arguably at the top of the pile was the above pictured split second of genius.

Bran's storyline was the only time I lost any interest really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back