FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't be serious.

That scene, she is giving that speech to the thousands of Unsullied and Dothraki and the viewer isn't supposed to scratch their head thinking, ummm.. thought those guys were dead.

And the best explanation so far has from you was that there were some left at Dragonstone, and some were guarding the back of Winterfell, despite no mention of this in the show, despite the battle map not showing it.

It seems you will literally create fantasy scenario's to defend the show to the very death.

I would have talked to 50 people (Friends and work colleagues) and not one of them was happy with Season 8 (compared with first 7 seasons), you'd think there would be at least one, that's strange is it not..?

Now lets change course for just 1 question/reply.
If you were to put on a pessimistic hat, gun to your head. What didn't you like about this season, or what could have they done better? (Could be anything from a particular scene to a Character plot)

Why would I give a single * how many soliders were there when it has no bearing on what is happening at the time?

It has no relevance to the storyline.

I'm thinking of only the main characters at play on that scene, wondering what is going to happen. Everything else is just background scenery, not in the slightest important.

I've enjoyed season 8. I made a lot of guesses, got most wrong, which means it wasn't predictable to me at all when watching for 90% of the time.
Had no grand expectations, wasn't disappointed.

The only thing I would have liked was for Jaqar to appear again in some way. But I understand why he didn't because like many of the complaints it's not actually that relevant to moving the story along.

You really think that's the case?

People are picking it to pieces because they've been bitterly disappointed and betrayed by the show's writers, who screwed up so many times that the final season of the show was nearly unwatchable. We are all fans of the show, who grew to love it over the years, only to have our cherished memories crushed by the ineptitude of D&D as they destroyed the show's legacy with some diabolically poor writing, particularly in the last 4 episodes.

Nobody would be picking this thing apart if the final season hadn't been so massively underwhelming. Unfortunately, the number of errors and implausibilities just made enjoyment of the show almost impossible. The show's massive CGI budget just wasn't enough to overcome the abysmal story that was being played out. "Oooh, dragons" might be enough for you, but for fans who demanded more than just the visually spectacular it was a horrible betrayal of the 9 years we'd invested in watching and caring for the show.

I've never ever thought of or considered using the word "betrayed" when it comes to a tv show.

You weren't "betrayed".

If people really feel betrayed then that shows that these people are so up their own arses they feel they are owed certain things from the show, that's hilarious.

This reminds me of all the moaners in TWD thread. If they don't get things just how they want them, moan city.

That scene, she is giving that speech to the thousands of Unsullied and Dothraki and the viewer isn't supposed to scratch their head thinking, ummm.. thought those guys were dead.

And the best explanation so far has from you was that there were some left at Dragonstone, and some were guarding the back of Winterfell, despite no mention of this in the show, despite the battle map not showing it.
Regarding the “back of Winterfell” argument. Suppose there were troops back there, why are we assuming they’re fine? The army of the dead was enormous, so much so that the dead were hitting the front line of the living, like waves crashing on the beach. The living were completely overwhelmed by the time the hole was blown in Winterfell by Viserion. Winterfell was so overrun that the dead had time to hang out in the library reading the periodicals.

Let us not fall into the trap of “oh they’re offscreen so they’re fine”. That’s the same ridiculous plot armour s**t that saved Jaime, Brienne and Sam multiple times while being piled on by wights clawing at their faces. Cut to someone else, cut back, they’re fine. Any hypothetical troops around the back would have been drawn into the conflict. They would have suffered similar losses to everywhere else, and logically would have started out with fewer numbers if any to begin with.

The hate on the last season is energized and loud but the show started sliding around season 4-5
I was just watching 2 finalize

The hate on the last season is energized and loud but the show started sliding around season 4-5
I was just watching 2 finalize
Yet the best "back to back" episodes of the show are probably the last two episodes of season 6 -- Battle of the Bastards the Winds of Winter.

Note, I don't say each individually is the best just that's there's never been as good that ran one after the other. Interestingly, both are not in any way based on the books.

Yet the best "back to back" episodes of the show are probably the last two episodes of season 6 -- Battle of the Bastards the Winds of Winter.

Note, I don't say each individually is the best just that's there's never been as good that ran one after the other. Interestingly, both are not in any way based on the books.
These two episodes were up there with the best of them although I do think BoB is greatly overrated as a battle. But as a drama its great. Without them so many of us would of fallen off by season 8.

Note that Martin was still a consultant on the show in season 6. He wasnt in season 7 or 8.

The conclusion we get from his line "why do you think I came all this way", is that he let hundreds of thousands of people die so he'd eventually sit on the throne. How can ANYONE be ok with that ending? It means evil three eyed raven (who lives for hundreds of years btw) has won.
I think looking at it that way is too simplistic. The whole seeing the future then interfering with the course of events etc can cause more problems and be worse because of that interference.

Bran keeps saying things like "you were always where you were meant to be" etc. To me he is saying that the way things pan out is the way that things will pan out and that there's nothing you can do about it.

I think his line of "why do you think I came all this way?" is just an extension of that, but also designed to add some odd humour.

I can see why people may think it sounds malevolent but I don't think it's meant to be.

That's enough to make any GoT fan mad. How, why... what is their excuse? Because if it turns out to be some disney/star wars bųllshit...**** that. Why not hand it off? They're coming across as such campaigners right now based on what we know.

According to that vision they were saying 7 seasons from very early on. Seems like an obvious underestimation in hindsight, although season 1 pretty much = book 1 so maybe thats where it came from.

So obviously the Star Wars deal had no impact on their original thinking that it would be 7, but might have on any more recent discussions to extend. Although now that I think about it, the Star Wars thing was announced early 2018 if I remember right? Decisions re: seasons 7 and 8 had been locked in for a long time at that point. Depends how long they had been talking to Disney before the announcement I suppose.

The conclusion we get from his line "why do you think I came all this way", is that he let hundreds of thousands of people die so he'd eventually sit on the throne. How can ANYONE be ok with that ending? It means evil three eyed raven (who lives for hundreds of years btw) has won.

Could have been an Avengers Endgame type thing ie. 1 chance. Doing it any other way means Jon never kills Dany and she burninates the world instead of just Kings Landing, sure sounded like she was on that path.

Last edited:

I still rate Hardhome as the best ep and that's not in the books/hasn't happened yet either. Remember sitting there watching the last 30 mins just blown away, couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I still rate Hardhome as the best ep and that's not in the books/hasn't happened yet either. Remember sitting there watching the last 30 mins just blown away, couldn't believe what I was seeing.
I agree. That's was probably my favourite too. That last scene with the NK raising all the dead as Jon floats away on that boat.............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never ever thought of or considered using the word "betrayed" when it comes to a tv show.

You weren't "betrayed".

If people really feel betrayed then that shows that these people are so up their own arses they feel they are owed certain things from the show, that's hilarious.

This reminds me of all the moaners in TWD thread. If they don't get things just how they want them, moan city.
You should stop now because your wrong about everything.

The silence at the end....chilling

You weren't "betrayed".

If you wish to be a "turn brain off when the opening credits roll" viewer, then that's your choice. Please don't try to drag the rest of us down to your level. Most of us watching this show are doing so with adult brains, which don't stop functioning, and feel a jarring sensation when they see (and hear) things that just don't make sense. You obviously don't experience that, and that's fine - please try not to demean those who do.

Many, possibly most, viewers aren't as easily satisfied as you. The show built up expectations over years of high quality story telling, only to be let down by the garbage which spewed forth from the keyboards of D&D when they wrote season 8 (and to a lesser extent season 7). This is why we feel a sense of betrayal, as these two idiots destroyed the legacy which GRRM had created.

They aren't ? Interesting
Battle of the bastards has a nice ring 2 it 2
Someone should have slapped that on the federal election

I think looking at it that way is too simplistic. The whole seeing the future then interfering with the course of events etc can cause more problems and be worse because of that interference.

Bran keeps saying things like "you were always where you were meant to be" etc. To me he is saying that the way things pan out is the way that things will pan out and that there's nothing you can do about it.

I think his line of "why do you think I came all this way?" is just an extension of that, but also designed to add some odd humour.

I can see why people may think it sounds malevolent but I don't think it's meant to be.
Bran, as the 3ER is just plain weird. I don't think that line was meant to be funny. It was just the 3ER speaking cryptically, as the 3ER did throughout the entire series.

I suspect it's more a case of the 3ER seeing it in the future, and reading the whole situation as being a fait accompli.

Hardhome was excellent.

As has been pointed out though, that wasn't far beyond the books, and GRRM was still a consultant on the show at that time. Things got worse the further they went from the books, and the quality dropped off a cliff once GRRM ceased consulting.

Has any tv show finale ever generated this much debate? I think it's because fans are sad the show is over and by discussing and analysing it lives on in our memory
Plenty of shows. The ending of The Sopranos was incredibly controversial, and there are other examples.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back