FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep they make no sense to you, that doesn't mean they make no sense. And you're holding the show up to a bizarre, warped, standard if you don't think these issues exist in any show and particularly the early seasons of Thrones.
They don't exist in good shows, and they never existed in the early seasons of GoT. And I never even mentioned how dumb the ending of the Battle of Winterfell was, and how it pretty much rendered everything that the show had done with the White Walkers for the entire run of the show completely pointless.

They don't exist in good shows, and they never existed in the early seasons of GoT. And I never even mentioned how dumb the ending of the Battle of Winterfell was, and how it pretty much rendered everything that the show had done with the White Walkers for the entire run of the show completely pointless.

Never? Ok.

How long since your last re-watch?

What things are you referring to?

Tyrion getting conveniently knocked out so they didn't have to show the battle, people able to move quite quickly around Westeros for the convenience of plot (after the first few episodes established it was meant to take so long), the Sand Snakes, etc. But people accepted most of that and just moved on from it.

Tyrion getting conveniently knocked out so they didn't have to show the battle, people able to move quite quickly around Westeros for the convenience of plot (after the first few episodes established it was meant to take so long), the Sand Snakes, etc. But people accepted most of that and just moved on from it.

Tyrion getting knocked out was easy to accept and move on from because it simply wasn't a problem, and yes, people teleporting around Westeros was definitely one of the worst things of the last two seasons, but I don't recall it happening it in the early seasons. As for the Sand Snakes, yes they were pointless, but they were never anything but pointless, whereas the problems with the last season went right to the heart of the show, as the problems were with the main characters and the main story.

Tyrion getting knocked out was easy to accept and move on from because it simply wasn't a problem, and yes, people teleporting around Westeros was definitely one of the worst things of the last two seasons, but I don't recall it happening it in the early seasons. As for the Sand Snakes, yes they were pointless, but they were never anything but pointless, whereas the problems with the last season went right to the heart of the show, as the problems were with the main characters and the main story.

Melissandre teleported, and a number of other characters did it, some in Season One. I made a tongue in cheek post about it in here while I was doing my rewatch but can't remember off the top of my head. But see, this is my point, you don't recall. Primarily because you haven't done a re-watch and so assume the early seasons were some gold standard that they never were.

D&D have come out and said that they were making it up as they went along even as far back as S1 so it's a wonder the show was as good as it was, but S7 & S8 were nowhere near as bad as people make out. The show was always going to streamline and condense plots and characters so as to bring things to a conclusion, and no matter how that was done people wouldn't like it. I dare say if GRRM ever releases his books people will have issues with those too.

Lord Varys suddenly being so stupid that I'm not sure if he just wasn't committing suicide by dragon? The Dothraki being wiped out one week and then being very much not wiped out the next? Those scorpions being deadly one week and useless the next? That's just a couple of things that made no sense to me, but good luck to anyone who thought it did.

wasnt the dothraki the first responders/attackers in the battle of the night? That was an interesting strategy.

Another one was the iron fleet taking Dany by surprise. Although I suppose it does make sense with the unexpected answer that one of the writers helpfully explained. That Dany forgot about the fleet.

I believe the first time when dany attacked the iron fleet, ultimately losing a dragon.....she learned her lesson. Next time attack in a different way.

to book readers - did attack no 1 happen in the books?

I love it, 12 months on and people are still hating how it ended.
Gee man, 15 years on and I'm still bitter on how the 05 GF ended up.

Not sure why I still can't be irked by the way this show stumbled.

I can believe it's been a year. Within days of the final episode it felt like everyone had moved on. Deeply flawed final season out of step with what had come before. This show was big enough to flog tons of licensed merchandise... imagine trying to sell that stuff now.
I find it really sad that this is your measure of quality. A lot of shows aren't designed to be talked about and speculated on after they finish, nor flog tons of merchandise.

I find it really sad that this is your measure of quality. A lot of shows aren't designed to be talked about and speculated on after they finish, nor flog tons of merchandise.
Whilst that might be true for a lot of shows, this show managed 7 seasons being talked about and speculated on more than any other show on TV, and yet it somehow managed to screw up the landing to the point where it has pretty much disappeared without a trace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not my measure of quality. It's a measure of how suddenly Game of Thrones went into the ether. It was the biggest thing in TV, maybe all media, for years. Can't imagine Benioff, Weiss and HBO intended it to be this way.

It's not my measure of quality. It's a measure of how suddenly Game of Thrones went into the ether. It was the biggest thing in TV, maybe all media, for years. Can't imagine Benioff, Weiss and HBO intended it to be this way.
I don't understand the issue with that. Whether or not something remains ubiquitous in pop culture (as perceived by some) means nothing to me. It has no influence on whether I care about it or not. Were you hoping that it would keep a Star Wars or Middle Earth type craze going for a few more years or something? Does it take that kind of communal reassurance for you to maintain interest? All the manchildren loudly abandoning ship might actually turn out for the better longterm, although something tells me there'll be more GoT universe stuff in future and they'll attempt to seize back ownership of the narrative again.

I just don't know what people expected. After 9 years of pop culture saturation, did anyone really think people wouldn't be over it for a little bit after the ending? That it might need several years to sit before reconsidering its ultimate legacy? Mad Men is in a similar spot right now. Shows just stick around too long and need a couple years breather before things like syndication have an appetite. e.g. Friends in the late 00s before bouncing back in the 10s.

Last edited:
I still recommend people to watch the series despite how it ended.

The first 3 seasons & the Hardhome episode is best thing on television/entertainment.

Season 6 is almost the best season of the show, really don't understand why it's so underrated.

Wat??? The sand snakes have had plenty of criticism come there way.

Season 6 is almost the best season of the show, really don't understand why it's so underrated.
The season that dragged out the battle of the bastards when in reality it should have been a one side contest?

Wat??? The sand snakes have had plenty of criticism come there way.

Of course they did. But people didn't stop watching the show, or continue to bitch about them for years afterwards.

The season that dragged out the battle of the bastards when in reality it should have been a one side contest?

The season that had "Hold the door", the destruction of Kings Landing, the first tease of the Tower of Joy, you mean?

I think the telepoprting thing is more an issue with the structure of the source material and transposing it to TV than anything else. Heaps more margin to get away with that stuff in a book, and the dude still had to stuff like split a book into 2 and literally put a disclaimer in the front to not assume things happening in the 2nd book were happening after the 1st.

Yeah I really don't get this take at all (that the show is no longer talked about). What show is after it finishes?

Mr Robot finished not long ago, it wasn't the same pervasive pop culture phenomenon that GoT was obviously, but it had a rabidly invested fanbase and is generally considered to be a brilliant show which stuck the landing. Not much discussion about it any more.

I still recommend people to watch the series despite how it ended.

The first 3 seasons & the Hardhome episode is best thing on television/entertainment.

Last half hour of Hardhome was the best thing I have ever seen on TV, still is :thumbsu:

I think the telepoprting thing is more an issue with the structure of the source material and transposing it to TV than anything else. Heaps more margin to get away with that stuff in a book, and the dude still had to stuff like split a book into 2 and literally put a disclaimer in the front to not assume things happening in the 2nd book were happening after the 1st.

Well, the teleporting problems only really came to the fore once they got past the source material, so I'm not sure you can put the blame for that on the books.

Well, the teleporting problems only really came to the fore once they got past the source material, so I'm not sure you can put the blame for that on the books.
It became an issue because instead of finishing plotlines and character arcs they just killed them off. Before you’d go from one plot to plot b to plot c ect. so when it came back to plot a even if the characters teleported it felt like time had passed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back