FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Arya says Sansa is the smartest person she has ever met?

Wtf. Why are they now trying to make Sansa look powerful and intelligent when she is anything but? Cultural cringe.
Not sure the actress is quite pulling off the austere characterisation they're going for either.

Harrington is lucky that his character hasn't really had to show much range compared to Daenarys and others.

Not sure the actress is quite pulling off the austere characterisation they're going for either.

Harrington is lucky that his character hasn't really had to show much range compared to Daenarys and others.
It’s not the actor though, the character just doesn’t make smart decisions

Conincidence that the cgi of winterfell has dramatically improved and it now looks a bit like a town from star wars.
And I want to check but the little runner boy at the start looked like the broom kid in The Last Jedi

Most important thing for me is how they handle the story of the night king, It can't be " I just want to kill everyone"

I have faith they will give us some good back story and good motives surrounding his decision making.

He wants Bran

I'm sure a bit of Arya's line about Sansa had to do with how she played Littlefinger.
I also think there is a little bit of Tyrians words. That what she survived meant she was clever enough to survive.

Joffrey and Ramsay both required a bimbo.

It's only at Winterfell after she returns and is grown that we see her steel

Apropos of the actress carrying it off or not

I did cringe when Arya said Sansa’s The smartest person in the north, she’s been nothing but a dumb bitch the whole show.

She outplayed Littlefinger, brought the Vale to win an important battle and been readying the North for war.

Your definition of dumb is probably more a reflection on all the things that have obviously gone over your head in the show.

I did cringe when Arya said Sansa’s The smartest person in the north, she’s been nothing but a dumb bitch the whole show.

There was also a line where Tyrion said something like those who cross you end up dead. Which is purely coincidence because Littlefinger wanted her and John saved her, nothing of her own doing like was implied by his statement. The only machination she has had any part of was Littlefingers demise.

Why was cersei concerned with lamb chops during the throne room scene?

Tipping old mate euron to do a runner if he didn't get some love.

I get the feeling Cersei lost her baby between seasons or was never really pregnant. Last season Tyrion noticed she wasn't drinking wine when they met and he exclaimed she was with child. Fast forward to this season, after Cercei & Euron do the deed, she is glugging down a glass of red.

Cersei thinks if Euron can get her pregnant, she can continue the 'pregnancy' storyline to manipulate Jaime down the line. Remember, she deceived King Robert all those years claiming he was the father to her children, when in fact, they were Jaime's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

x0OgLOi.jpg

LOL

I thought we might have had 30 seconds somewhere dedicated to Jorah and the Little Bear.

Yeah, that was the one catch-up that didn't happen. I think it should, they can't just waltz around each other.

The one plot point that keeps annoying me is Jon constantly being berated for bending the knee to Dany. I know the Northeners are stubborn and don’t trust others but surely he’s earned the benefit of the doubt, especially in these circumstances?

Agreed.

Thought Theon rescuing Yara was way too easy.

So, she's just going to hang out at the Iron Islands now, and he's going to Winterfell? Was too easy, but was a loose end waiting to be tied up i guess.

They hate each other with a passion after a messy divorce

Really?

arya wants gendry to make a specific weapon for her. An arrow.

Bronn has a crossbow.

I paused and couldn't work out what it was...

It's not an arrow, it's a double ended spear with 1 x dragon glass end, that breaks down to two weapons.

Hence the training with the staff's with the faceless men etc.

View attachment 655506

"In a recent interview with Vanity Fair’s “Still Watching” podcast, Thrones weapons master Tommy Dunne teased what is very likely this new blade: “There is one creation in Season 8 that is absolutely phenomenal. It’ll be a showstopper. That was great to finish. It was great to make, great to design it that it was about to be reverse-engineered and made into two different items.” :

Oh * yes, Arya the little killing machine, YES YES YES

I thought we might have had 30 seconds somewhere dedicated to Jorah and the Little Bear.

Yeah I would have liked that.

Do they even know each other, at least a introduction if they don't would have been good. He was sitting near her in the hall wasn't he?

I'm sure a bit of Arya's line about Sansa had to do with how she played Littlefinger.
Played how? Bran told her littlefinger killed their father so she called a meeting of everyone without telling them what it was about so she could kill littlefinger. It was hardly clever. There was no battle of wits.

Arya sees Jon in the march and you can see the little girl want to run at him or yell out. Then she realises she is older and colder and stamps it down.

Bran saves Sansa by mentioning the Night King and dragon after she doesn't call Daenerys queen.

Sansa knows Cersei isn't sending an army. Which is why for whatever reason Jaimie will survive the trial. Because he turned up

Played how? Bran told her littlefinger killed their father so she called a meeting of everyone without telling them what it was about so she could kill littlefinger. It was hardly clever. There was no battle of wits.

Did he think he was walking in to that hall to die or to see Arya get sorted out?

I'd say he got played.

Stuck with him to save her own ass at times. Took his army when needed and now has the loyalty of Royce and the Vale and pulls the rug from under him just as he thinks his scheming is about to mount to something.

Is anyone else surprised how little excitement there seems to be on Bigfooty for the new season? To start with I though I must've been in the "No Book Readers" thread, but of course that distinction no longer exists.

Anyways, I'm absolutely pumped for tonight!
Haha. 13 pages in the day and a bit since I posted this. I guess a lot of people were holding out for the actual episode to air!

Man its good to be back. Good, not great, ep but as others have mentioned, necessary.

Interesting angle with Jon and Dany now that he knows his lineage, I didn't really think about it before but yeah of course it would now be treasonous to suggest she's not actually the rightful heir, and despite loving him I can't see her submitting to Jon - especially on the info of the bloke who's family she just barbecued.

Agree the northerners need to relax a bit, seems like everyone is accepting of the fact the wall is down and the literal dead are walking towards them. As Jon says, in light of that the sooking about kings and queens is beyond stupid.

Had no issues with the dragons giving Jon the stare down as others seems to.

Boy the acting was awful. Except for Tormund.

Characters who havent seen each other in yonks are like hi. Yeah hi back.

Hound and arya, yara and theon, jon and sam, arya and jon, sansa and the dwarf. Boy they stuffed up those scenes.

Did we really need to waste 3 mins on dragons flying?

Dialogue was boring.

Liked the opening scene with the soldiers and the better design of winterfall which previously looked like a tiny insignificant castle but now looked much more imposing.

Opening credits was nice.

Agree re: the dragon flight scene, just didn't need to be that long, wrap it up soon after the swoop over Winterfell I reckon.

Can't agree with much else. Acting was largely fine, and the interactions of characters who hadn't see each other for awhile were great. Amazing to see Arya and Jon together, liked the comparing of swords Jon realising she is on Sansa's side. Especially liked Sansa and Tyrion, would be pretty awkward, thought that came across well and a beauty of a line to close on "I used to think you were the smartest man in the world".

Yep, every interaction feels quite forced with an abnormal buildup.

How many times this episode did we see a character walk into view of another and they gave each other a few seconds stare before talking?

Arya interacting with The Hound is a prime example of this.

Hound and Arya was another interaction I thought they nailed, yeah of course there're gonna stare at each other and be frosty, she robbed him and left him to die. Did like the tiniest hint of a smile from the Hound at the end.

Will have a scene with Bron, Tyrion and Jaime face off. Cant see why Bron would side with Cersei given they have never been in a single scene together in the shows history. Anyone else noticed this?

We arent learning anything about the Night king. Doesnt seem like they are going to make him much of a character. Pretty much now destined to be a generic villian.

I don't reckon he will (side with Cersei). Loves gold, but I'm tipping he'll be in a position to pull the trigger on Tyrion and won't be able to go through with it.

Don't think we'll learn too much more about the Night King, rightly so IMO, works better as a force of nature who's motives aren't clear.

The dragon riding scene was incredibly cringey, but it's a setup on multiple fronts. Jon is clearly going to ride Rhaegal, but people would likely lose their s**t if he just jumped on board with no build up. The scene with him and Dany by the waterfall is portraying them being in that 'honeymoon period', building them up before his ancestry (or a death) completely f***s everything up. Tyrion, Varys, and Davos discussing it later basically confirms that they're doomed as a pairing.

Yeah thought they would save Jon riding a dragon, but you're right if he just jumped on in the heat of battle with no practice it'd be a bit silly.

Thought it was pretty good for a table-setter (and one of the better premier episodes) but think that debating the merits of even having a table-setter in a six episode season is legitimate.

I think you kinda have to after a 2 year break. Regular hiatus and they might have been able to hit the ground running a little more.

Understatement. It’s gone from dating miss universe to a crackhead and people are like at least she doesn’t have aids.

Ha, not sure I'd compare what, for all its faults, is still easily the best show in TV to a crackhead.

Arya says Sansa is the smartest person she has ever met?

Wtf. Why are they now trying to make Sansa look powerful and intelligent when she is anything but? Cultural cringe.

Nah. Early days sure, not anymore. Littlefinger was the most machiavellian character in the show and she did him like dinner, stone cold.

Cos its a sh** load better then watching anything on tv. The things the made it must watch, i.e. the great dialogue and characters and acting have waned a bit since the show creators had to start writing the story themselves rather then simply converting the story from books to show. Its a pity this has occured as the show is reaching its climax as so many great potential character interactions have been done poorly. Im far from alone in having this view. Things arent going well for an episode when the best delivered line is "my eyes have always been blue".
Ahem, best delivered line this ep was clearly Arya when Jon asked if she'd ever used Needle

"Once or twice" lol

Decent enough episode to set the scene.

The one plot point that keeps annoying me is Jon constantly being berated for bending the knee to Dany. I know the Northeners are stubborn and don’t trust others but surely he’s earned the benefit of the doubt, especially in these circumstances?
I don't think it's totally out of place.

All the Northern lords went south to avenge Eddard's father,and brother who were killed by Dany's father.

They then went south to avenge Ned, and most of them ended up dead at the red wedding.

Now Jon comes back from the south and he traded away his kingdom for an alliance with both those families. The audience knows Jon did the right thing but the characters don't and probably won't until they see the army of the dead for themselves.

Goaded him into overplaying his hand by pretending she and Arya weren’t seeing eye to eye

I read online today the little dig that Ep 1 had for Ed Sheeran, who was criticized for being in the show last season - when Bronn is in the brothel and the girls are talking about the ginger boy called "Eddie" who got his face burnt off in the battle between Daenerys and Jaime’s men in Season 7. RIP Ed Sheeran.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back