FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Near the end of book 2 in Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's very dense which slows the reading down but chipping away until I read all 10. People say this is the greatest fantasy work ever. Very large in scope and scale that's for sure.

Stick with it. It's bonkers. The Pannion Domin make the White Walkers and their dead army look like a troop of Girl Guides with the flu.
If they ever put the Siege of Capustan to film it would break the Net.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Thinking about other seasons this one has been a massive let down.

Some episodes have been ok but just doesn’t feel like Game of Thrones. Have a think about how epic seasons 3-7 were and the amazing tension and hype they built up.

The white walkers, Cersei, all to just come crashing down to some theatric performances with meh plot lines.

We’ve spent years being invested in such strong character development, built of tension and amazing twists and then now just been shat all over this season with great cinematography but rubbish plot and winding up of such intense build ups of character arcs.
Why do you get to decide that it’s rubbish plot? Was Robb’s character arc wrapped up nicely with his death at the Red Wedding?

Baldur

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 23, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think a lot of those reactions were very heavily coloured by the release dates and Robert Jordan's declining health. I somewhat doubt the meandering will be as frustrating doing a straight read-through as it was with the possibility of it never being finished hanging over it.

I disliked all the damn braid pulling rubbish, book 6 when Rand finally grows more balls than Varys revived my interest for half of book 7. Then waited too it was finished to read the rest. Most of the books Jordan wrote from 5 onwards are full frustrating meandering.

Last edited:

Baldur

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 23, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
From watching reactors I have a lot of Dany scenes again & again. I concluded I was wrong about Emilia Clarke not being up to portraying Dany's decline into madness. She was a wooden actress once, but years of practice have made her competent enough & I had not noticed it. Still consider the writers stuffed it.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Stick with it. It's bonkers. The Pannion Domin make the White Walkers and their dead army look like a troop of Girl Guides with the flu.
If they ever put the Siege of Capustan to film it would break the Net.

Yeah, don't get spoilery with Battle of Frankston and such or tell me if I'm wrong or right, but where Game of Thrones, the TV show, is set on one continent and bits of a second, Malazan Book of the Fallen feels like every continent will be gingerly unpeeled and somehow threaded together by the end. A planetary scale.

Yeah, don't get spoilery with Battle of Frankston and such or tell me if I'm wrong or right, but where Game of Thrones, the TV show, is set on one continent and bits of a second, Malazan Book of the Fallen feels like every continent will be gingerly unpeeled and somehow threaded together by the end. A planetary scale.

I wont spoil it - but pretty much. The hard thing about it is some books seems completely in isolation then you read the next one and go WTF because stuff is happening at the same time and you don't connect the dots until later.
It was on book four when I started and I struggled through book one - finished book 4 just before 5 came out and then reread each prior book before the next just to refresh because you need to. It gets complicated but it is worth it.
My mate recommended it to me - 3 out of 5 book series he's recommended me has become a tv show so far.

I just read the leak, or at least I’m assuming it’s the leak... because aspects of it don’t make logical sense to me. I guess all will be revealed soon enough.

Stop talking about leaks in here. Stop posting odds. Stop posting anything that sends posters into a tailspin trying to unread what they have read.

Thread bans will have to be used or worse if it is a deliberate spoiler.

Thanks

^ Noted.

I do apologise to everyone here, I sincerely am not trying to spoil anyone, but clearly have fallen foul of what’s considered acceptable discussion of the range of possible outcomes.

And I do mean “possible outcomes”. I don’t know anything with even a shred of confidence, I just erred in using anything other than GoT source material with which to speculate.

Last edited:
In fact it’s probably best if I just step away from the thread. I hope the last episode gives everyone a conclusion they’re happy with.

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton
Why do you get to decide that it’s rubbish plot? Was Robb’s character arc wrapped up nicely with his death at the Red Wedding?
Yes, it was wrapped up beautifully. Just because it wasn't what we wanted doesn't mean it wasn't done well.

Rob was doing a great job leading the northern army until he let love get in the way. He let the woman distract him from war, causing cracks in his relationship with the other northern lords. He broke an oath to marry one of the frays daughters. These 2 things combined to get him killed. Not sure how that isn't wrapping up an arc.

Quite different to 7 seasons of building up the fact that Jaime is a decent bloke, to just reset factory settings in his last episode. Or tyrion going from some genius tactician to an idiot as it helps things end quicker.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns

Yes that ended his arc perfectly in line with how well written his storyline was in the books and emulated that very well in the show.

it’s pretty evident how much stronger the writing and storyline was back then.

People can re-assure themselves all they want but the longer the show ventures past the books the poorer the writing has gotten to the point this season has been entertaining from a theatrical point of view but the storyline and writing is just pure garbage.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Yes that ended his arc perfectly in line with how well written his storyline was in the books and emulated that very well in the show.

it’s pretty evident how much stronger the writing and storyline was back then.

People can re-assure themselves all they want but the longer the show ventures past the books the poorer the writing has gotten to the point this season has been entertaining from a theatrical point of view but the storyline and writing is just pure garbage.
In your opinion.

I have a question about game of thrones.

Why do people think emellia clarke is a good actor?

She is one of the worst in the series imo
Clearly not everyone has the same opinion as you.

Her and Lena Headley have done some great work this season letting you inside their heads without dialogue

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I have a question about game of thrones.

Why do people think emellia clarke is a good actor?

She is one of the worst in the series imo

If you look back at all my posts over previous seasons you'll find me bagging her acting aplenty.

This season however she's been very good. Can't be knocking her work for this season .

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lena Headey been the best actress across the course of the series, but this season I would put up Iain Glen (if not just for that 'look' he gave the front lines in episode 3), the bloke who plays Varys or Emilia Clarke. Headey almost deserves it for this most recent episode, legit had me feeling sorry for Cersei.

The Qyburn giving Cersei increasingly bad news shot the exact same way every time scenes with Cersei getting progressively more distressed was almost comedic in a way.

I think that was partly the intention.

Back