FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Who else wanted to see the Whitewalker citadel?

That really amounted to nothing didn't it?

So many plot lines and scenes that never got answered. The show could have easily lasted a dozen seasons. In fact thats what the fat one wanted.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Is it a problem if GRRM wanted it that way?

He was just a side character, like so many others.
What GRRM wants isn’t really relevant.

And he could have continued being a side character. Again not really relevant.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I do question the stupidity of having a vastly outnumbered Tyrell army (i.e. the Highgarden garrison) fight the Lannister army on the plain in front of Highgarden - but that's just standard D&D tactical stupidity, which we've seen over and over again. There's a reason why people built castles with thick/high walls, it's to keep the enemies on the outside. This is a fundamental element of medieval warfare, which D&D have completely failed to grasp - or have willingly chosen to ignore in the name of "theatre" (my money is on the former).

I don't question the small size of the Tyrell army defending Highgarden against the Lannister attack. It was a surprise attack, which didn't give the Tyrells time to gather the rest of their forces, which were seemingly scattered all over The Reach. The only troops available to Olenna were the Highgarden garrison. This was not unreasonable, given what was actually shown.

As far as we know, the Olenna was the last living Tyrell. The others were all killed when Cersei set off her wildfire bomb. The death of Olenna created a power vacuum, and we have no idea how it was likely to be filled. Cersei could have installed a puppet as Lord of Highgarden, which seems very likely given that Jamie & Tyrion promised Highgarden to Bronn (a promise which Tyrion subsequently kept).

The difference between Dorne & Highgarden, is that the Lannisters never seized and occupied Dorne. Both had their leadership wiped out, but Dorne did so in the absence of Lannister influence. The same cannot be said for Highgarden and The Reach. This is why Dorne was mentioned as being part of Dany's alliance at the Battle of Kings Landing, but Highgarden was not.

All of which begs the question - why do you spend so much time watching things that aren't shown, rather than things which are? You've really built a strange little fantasy world in your head, as a result of seeing things that never happened.

I don't watch the things that aren't shown. I just realise things that don't matter are often there or not simply to move the plot along.

Once again, you have a major issue with troop numbers on one scene but are happy to explain away a far larger group of soldiers in another scenario.

There was actually more reason to be asking troop number questions around the Tyrells and their allies simply all disappearing than a thousand more unsullied.

But the moaning about that never got close to the amount of whining we saw here over a tiny force.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I don't watch the things that aren't shown. I just realise things that don't matter are often there or not simply to move the plot along.
Your posting says otherwise. You spend far more time watching stuff which was never shown (because it was never filmed, or thought of, or written by D&D) than you do watching what was actually shown.
Once again, you have a major issue with troop numbers on one scene but are happy to explain away a far larger group of soldiers in another scenario.

There was actually more reason to be asking troop number questions around the Tyrells and their allies simply all disappearing than a thousand more unsullied.

But the moaning about that never got close to the amount of whining we saw here over a tiny force.
I have an issue with the stupidity with which the Tyrells conducted the battle. As with Battle of the Bastards, the Battle of Winterfell, and the Battle of Kings Landing, D&D had his characters behave as if they had no understanding whatsoever of military tactics. There's a reason people built whacking great big castles, with high/thick walls!!

There is no way that the Tyrell army would have met the (much larger) Lannister army on the plain out the front of Highgarden. What they would have done was to sit inside the castle, forcing the Lannister army to conduct a seige. They then would have sent out a bunch of ravens, calling their bannermen to arms. Once assembled, the full Army of the Reach would have marched to Highgarden, smashed the Lannister forces, and ended the siege.

The difference between us is that I'm actually watching what is shown. I watched a surprise attack on Highgarden, before the Tyrells could gather their forces. I saw Dany being so desperate for living soldiers, to fight the Army of the Dead, that she was willing to (temporarily) bury her differences with Cersei in an attempt to have the Lannister army fighting at Winterfell.

You, on the other hand, are busy watching things that were never shown - because they never happened. You were busy watching Dany leaving half her army scattered all over Westeros, or hidden somewhere in Westerfell but never used despite the desperation of the situation. You were busy wondering where the rest of the Tyrell army was, when its absence was readily explained.

I have no problem with pointing out the failings of the writers - and God knows they stuffed up massively and repeatedly throughout seasons 7 & 8. I am also, however, prepared to defend them when people make attacks which just make no sense - as you are prone to do.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I agree, he wasn't relevant anymore as a character so they wrote him out.
And once again that’s the problem, they write out characters they don’t want to use rather than letting story unfold naturally.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Who else wanted to see the Whitewalker citadel?

Season four was the one that got me hooked because a lot more time was given to the WWs compared to the first three seasons. Would've loved to see that far north/land of always winter and if the WWs had more rituals like that and other mystical s**t. The show's peak was S4-5 IMO

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Your posting says otherwise. You spend far more time watching stuff which was never shown (because it was never filmed, or thought of, or written by D&D) than you do watching what was actually shown.

I have an issue with the stupidity with which the Tyrells conducted the battle. As with Battle of the Bastards, the Battle of Winterfell, and the Battle of Kings Landing, D&D had his characters behave as if they had no understanding whatsoever of military tactics. There's a reason people built whacking great big castles, with high/thick walls!!

There is no way that the Tyrell army would have met the (much larger) Lannister army on the plain out the front of Highgarden. What they would have done was to sit inside the castle, forcing the Lannister army to conduct a seige. They then would have sent out a bunch of ravens, calling their bannermen to arms. Once assembled, the full Army of the Reach would have marched to Highgarden, smashed the Lannister forces, and ended the siege.

The difference between us is that I'm actually watching what is shown. I watched a surprise attack on Highgarden, before the Tyrells could gather their forces. I saw Dany being so desperate for living soldiers, to fight the Army of the Dead, that she was willing to (temporarily) bury her differences with Cersei in an attempt to have the Lannister army fighting at Winterfell.

You, on the other hand, are busy watching things that were never shown - because they never happened. You were busy watching Dany leaving half her army scattered all over Westeros, or hidden somewhere in Westerfell but never used despite the desperation of the situation. You were busy wondering where the rest of the Tyrell army was, when its absence was readily explained.

I have no problem with pointing out the failings of the writers - and God knows they stuffed up massively and repeatedly throughout seasons 7 & 8. I am also, however, prepared to defend them when people make attacks which just make no sense - as you are prone to do.

We didn't even see the 80-100,000 Tyrell Army in battle, we didn't see their massive naval Armada at war.

But seeing some extra Unsullied appear is more problematic with so many dopey GoT fans.

I'm watching what's on the screen and not giving a * about some extra soliders present. If 70,000 Tyrell soldiers and a whole fleet are irrelevant then so to are some extra Unsullied.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
We didn't even see the 80-100,000 Tyrell Army in battle, we didn't see their massive naval Armada at war.

But seeing some extra Unsullied appear is more problematic with so many dopey GoT fans.

I'm watching what's on the screen and not giving a **** about some extra soliders present. If 70,000 Tyrell soldiers and a whole fleet are irrelevant then so to are some extra Unsullied.
No s**t Sherlock! You didn't see them on screen, because they weren't present at the battle - because it was a surprise attack! How many times do I need to repeat this before it sinks in?

Yes, the full Tyrell army would have been much larger than the Lannister's. Yes, they would have wiped the floor with the Lannisters. However, for reasons which were actually explained in the show, the bulk of the Tyrell army wasn't present - only the Highgarden garrison.

There's a difference between monumental stuff ups, which make no sense when compared with what we saw on the screen (i.e. Unsullied being wiped out, only to re-spawn later), and things we saw on screen which make complete sense (Lannister army vs Highgarden garrison).

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
I look at things a couple of ways.

Firstly, I think they rushed the last 2 seasons terribly, and it did let the shows story down in a big way.

But once I accepted what the show was going to give me, then I was Blown away by the visual Spectacle of it all. As a viewing specatcle it was Brilliatn and unmatched by any other T.V. show.

What GRRM wants isn’t really relevant.

And he could have continued being a side character. Again not really relevant.

You'll have to tell that to the dozens of screaming "I WANT TO SEE HOW GEORGE ENDED IT" posters in here.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
You'll have to tell that to the dozens of screaming "I WANT TO SEE HOW GEORGE ENDED IT" posters in here.
I do find the hypocrisy funny.

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Really? What bits?

I’d like you give me one or two examples so I can have a look.
From the last episode ?
when they chose the new king...... brand the broken
Tyrion was prisoner and threatend with punishment if he opened mouth.......dictates the scene though
Greyjoys girl (forget name) was screaming Daenerys is my queen.....minutes later " aye " for brand

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
From the last episode ?
Tyrion was prisoner and threatend with punishment if he opened mouth.......dictates the scene though
Greyjoys girl (forget name) was screaming Daenerys is my queen.....minutes later " aye " for brand

Yara, Gendry and the Dornish Prince are the reason why Jon has to go to the black. That's why he can't just sneak back like nothing happened even with the Unsullied and Dothraki gone.

They got outvoted was all that happened there.

Sam, Brienne, Sansa, Robyn and Edmure is 5 votes to their 3.

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Yara, Gendry and the Dornish Prince are the reason why Jon has to go to the black. That's why he can't just sneak back like nothing happened even with the Unsullied and Dothraki gone.

They got outvoted was all that happened there.

Sam, Brienne, Sansa, Robyn and Edmure is 5 votes to their 3.
Thanks for the yara name drop
I tried scrolling IMDB but the character list is so massive

So yara flipped so quickly 2 save Jon ? Her character was always so stubborn it doesn't fit

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Something interesting 2 maybe only me and a couple others
I added this song to my youtube favz a few years ago but didn't know it was grey worm until some kids youtube video breakdown after it all finished

SirKarl0s

Team Captain
Jun 10, 2018
C-137
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
From the last episode ?
I thought it was weird that the Greyjoys had fought multiple rebellions for independence, yet when the North get their own independence, Yara doesn't say a word except 'Aye'

Back