Game of Thrones

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok season (didn't think they'd get to that last moment in this season, though going out like that makes for a big finish) but (for the book readers)...
Where the * was all the stuff about the Iron Islanders? That was like, half of book 4 (or 5, whichever it was in). A huge plotline in the book, that I thought was really cool, completely cut. Kinda shitty about that. Also why the * did Shireen get burned? Bit rough.

Ok season (didn't think they'd get to that last moment in this season, though going out like that makes for a big finish) but (for the book readers)...
Where the **** was all the stuff about the Iron Islanders? That was like, half of book 4 (or 5, whichever it was in). A huge plotline in the book, that I thought was really cool, completely cut. Kinda shitty about that. Also why the **** did Shireen get burned? Bit rough.

Well, she wasn't going to get nude so the writers had to do something interesting with her...

Bit of a discussion about at work this morning. One of the guys reckons the show is starting to veer away from the books a bit because they're trying to stretch this series out to 10 odd years / seasons, and old mate George isn't going to get ahead of the tv show at the rate he's writing. I'm trying to understand how that is going to work with all the kid actors turning 25 or 30, but presumably they'll find a way if that's what they want.

Well, she wasn't going to get nude so the writers had to do something interesting with her...

Bit of a discussion about at work this morning. One of the guys reckons the show is starting to veer away from the books a bit because they're trying to stretch this series out to 10 odd years / seasons, and old mate George isn't going to get ahead of the tv show at the rate he's writing. I'm trying to understand how that is going to work with all the kid actors turning 25 or 30, but presumably they'll find a way if that's what they want.
My understanding was the show was trying to catch up and go past the books (They've caught up completely this season) because there are fears George will die before he finishes writing the last 2 books (not unreasonable, he'll be at it another 10 years at this rate and he's already well into his sixties); so the show will have to go on its own. I also think there are just too many extra characters in the books to fully flesh out in the show. Having all the Kettleblacks; Jeyne Poole; the assorted Night's Watch blokes; all the hangers on to the main characters etc. would make the show much more complex; and they'd need to double the cast so they'd have to cut some corners/appropriate things from the book.

My understanding was the show was trying to catch up and go past the books (They've caught up completely this season) because there are fears George will die before he finishes writing the last 2 books (not unreasonable, he'll be at it another 10 years at this rate and he's already well into his sixties); so the show will have to go on its own. I also think there are just too many extra characters in the books to fully flesh out in the show. Having all the Kettleblacks; Jeyne Poole; the assorted Night's Watch blokes; all the hangers on to the main characters etc. would make the show much more complex; and they'd need to double the cast so they'd have to cut some corners/appropriate things from the book.

Agree with you partly, although I think the TV show veering away from the books could be a mistake. The reason books and comics generally get successfully made into TV shows / movies is the plot and story have usually had a lot of thought and work put into them (50 Shades of Grey, Twilight, etc aside). Who knows if it'll still be as good a series if they have to start developing their own material instead of tweaking Martin's? Could still be okay, or could be ordinary and they'll fall back on T&A, violence and killing off a bunch of characters every other week to mimic the successful formula thus far.

There are far too many characters though. My memory isn't great, I've read the books but I can barely remember a thing about two thirds of them. They generally get killed around the time you've finally gotten use to them and what their purpose seems to be in relation to the various plots going on.

Thing about the books for me is that once you know what happens, they're really not much of a read. I tried to pick them up again a while back and was bored silly. I'd struggle to tell you if any given new character in the TV show was in the books or not, now.

Agree with you partly, although I think the TV show veering away from the books could be a mistake. The reason books and comics generally get successfully made into TV shows / movies is the plot and story have usually had a lot of thought and work put into them (50 Shades of Grey, Twilight, etc aside). Who knows if it'll still be as good a series if they have to start developing their own material instead of tweaking Martin's? Could still be okay, or could be ordinary and they'll fall back on T&A, violence and killing off a bunch of characters every other week to mimic the successful formula thus far.

There are far too many characters though. My memory isn't great, I've read the books but I can barely remember a thing about two thirds of them. They generally get killed around the time you've finally gotten use to them and what their purpose seems to be in relation to the various plots going on.

Thing about the books for me is that once you know what happens, they're really not much of a read. I tried to pick them up again a while back and was bored silly. I'd struggle to tell you if any given new character in the TV show was in the books or not, now.
I'd assume Martin would have most of the main plot points down pat, but how they're fleshed out I'm not sure. He has been working as an assistant to the show makers so you'd hope he'd be the one telling them how the story should progress. I share your concerns though about the show just resorting to ****/arse/killing to try and keep people entertained. If you watched Boardwalk Empire at all I thought they had that problem over seasons 3/4 where they killed off a bunch of major characters/wrote them out, then just regularly killed all the others/brought in a new bird to get her cans out each week.

I'd assume Martin would have most of the main plot points down pat, but how they're fleshed out I'm not sure. He has been working as an assistant to the show makers so you'd hope he'd be the one telling them how the story should progress. I share your concerns though about the show just resorting to ****/arse/killing to try and keep people entertained. If you watched Boardwalk Empire at all I thought they had that problem over seasons 3/4 where they killed off a bunch of major characters/wrote them out, then just regularly killed all the others/brought in a new bird to get her cans out each week.

Could do, I guess. You'd imagine he's got a pretty good idea of where things are supposedly headed, but I imagine there's a lot of polish still to go or he'd have had the books written by now.

Only seen season 1 of Boardwalk Empire. Wasn't bad, wasn't great I think. Typical HBO stuff though, like you say. I don't mind a bit of T&A, but the internet has more pr0n than a man could digest if he watched it all day until the universe imploded, so much of the time you'd prefer they cut out superflous lookers and just got on with the story.

Shows I like:

Lost
House of Cards (someone mentioned that a few weeks ago, finished season 1 not long ago, just bought season 2)
Orphan Black
The Wire
Rectify
Rick and Morty
Peaky Blinders
Walking Dead
IASIP
Mystery Science Theatre 3000
Breaking Bad
Justified
Life on Mars (UK)
etc

Bit of a bump here, I guess, but only recently purchased the 5th season and that 8th episode is some amazeballs tellyvizhun.

Bit of a bump here, I guess, but only recently purchased the 5th season and that 8th episode is some amazeballs tellyvizhun.
Who was naked?
Who had sex with who?
Who was betrayed?
Who died or rather was murdered?

Its the GOT way.

Who was naked?
Who had sex with who?
Who was betrayed?
Who died or rather was murdered?

Its the GOT way.

Can't remember, can't remember and about 90% of the wildlings. Didn't mind season 5 - went a bit easier on the TNA for the sake of TNA, more time for plot progression.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't remember, can't remember and about 90% of the wildlings. Didn't mind season 5 - went a bit easier on the TNA for the sake of TNA, more time for plot progression.
Amazing how quickly we forget.

Good call mate! I was just about to make a new threat too.

So who has watched it yet? Loved the opening scene, kicked things off really nicely ... and I'm pretty sure its only the second time they've ever done a pre-credits scene.
Call it in tomorrow, teachers love a good bomb threat on day two of the semester.

Well I assume they do, I would.

Btw, about to watch it now but I did see the first few seconds. Dem tingles!

Great, now I'm going to have the feds on me!
I hadn't seen the bit you had in mind, epic! My wife picked it from the first scene, I picked the how.

Ok I'm going to have to go back and try this show again.

I watched season 1 and some of 2 years ago then decided to read the books. Then powered through till halfway through the last book (round when Tyrion is travelling alone with a dude slowly turning into a statue?), and I just lost it. I couldn't stand the number of plot arcs that were created that so obviously could never come to any conclusion or resolution.

So i ditched it all, cursed the fat bastard for not learning how to craft a story arc with any discipline and left it alone for 5 years.

And now I have to start all over again and get to season 7....

Ok I'm going to have to go back and try this show again.

I watched season 1 and some of 2 years ago then decided to read the books. Then powered through till halfway through the last book (round when Tyrion is travelling alone with a dude slowly turning into a statue?), and I just lost it. I couldn't stand the number of plot arcs that were created that so obviously could never come to any conclusion or resolution.

So i ditched it all, cursed the fat bastard for not learning how to craft a story arc with any discipline and left it alone for 5 years.

And now I have to start all over again and get to season 7....
Mate!
Get.
In.
Volved!

I watched the first season and loved it so much I read ALL the books before the 2nd season started.
Prior to that I hadn't read a book since high school so have never been a big reader but I loved the complexity of this series and the way the books are written is actually very different but awesome once you get used it. They dedicate a chapter to a character so sometimes for half a book you can go without hearing a thing about certain characters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back