Analysis Game plan and structure

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What exactly is our game plan?

What does our structure lack?

This isn’t a can Beveridge coach thread it’s a thread to discuss what our actual game plan and structure is, and what needs to change in terms of game plan and structure for us to improve and move forward.

For me our game plan seems to be based on a number of areas that just are not working.

1. Relying on midfield dominance, backing in our midfield to dominate time in possession and clearances. Issue with this is that we lack breaking even in the ruck and our midfield has gotten into bad habits from dominating the midfield last year. They start in attacking positions often without a defensive sweeper which means we rarely get multiple stoppages if the opposition get the ball first we cannot close them down. We’ve become a little bit of down hill skiers

2. Transition
We rely on run and carry through handball chains, to transition the ball, often through inviting pressure or handballing backward. We often give up field position and gift the opposition momentum through our backwards handballs when under pressure. We either lack decent kickers or we lack confidence in kicking the ball and through reliance on handball chains it often leads to being out of position if we turn the ball over or having our forwards out of position due to over handballing. Also the current weather conditions we have been playing in are not conducive to this style.

3. defending
We rely on a zone defence to keep the ball in our half of the ground mainly because we have a very attacking backline that is good at intercepting the ball and then transitioning it forward. The problem is we need pressure on the opposition to cause them to rush their kicks, which allows higher kicks or undirected kicks where we can zone off to intercept or come third man up to spoil. We lack defenders that can defend 1v1. We have also struggled in zoning defence also because we have broken down up at half forward and in our forward structure meaning we turn the ball over when out of position and our forward line struggle to push any pressure on.

We are a lethal rebounding team.

Take that away and we are cooked.
It is what we were practising in the off-season, fast run and dash with the whole team surging forward. Clearly the coaching advice was learnt by the group and they can implement it.

The problem is that we don't seem to have any other mode of playing and we get heavily scored against whenever our games are not played on our terms.

We are a very risk avoidance team as is evidenced by our low clanger count plus at our worst teams have an eternity to set up
behind the ball as we tend to overuse the pill by hand especially. Our key players in a transitional sense stand out like dogs
balls at the moment. Our forwards are an after thought and destined to live off scraps, disrupt the link and we stink. We need
things on our terms to thrive, we are a slave to momentum.

So Yojimbo what game plan would you employ to make the Dogs great again ?

Good question Yojimbo i would build a great wall, no just kidding. When i find myself in times of trouble i keep things basic with a
simple philosophy "Control the guts and limit the tongue" Controlling the guts protects your defense and gives them more time to
set up properly behind the ball. Limiting the tongue means to force the opponent wide and make scoring more difficult. I would
also kick the ball more and endeavor to regulate the tempo of the game by taking more marks. Unfortunately this would mean
the end of a few careers, but all systems favor certain player types and you have to be cruel to be kind sometimes. I don't think
it would take too long to rise from the ashes and we would be better equipped to challenge with a Ross Lyon anywhere, anytime
mentality. You have to give to get in life so prepare to sacrifice maybe even some of the perceived untouchables.

I would really like to see our game style with English playing a ruck forward role, and either Sweet or Trenners playing a more traditional Ruck role. Would be happy just to break even in the ruck battle for a change.

Here’s some stats for you:
In defensive 50 one on one contests In 2020, we lose about 37% of them, which is the worst in the league. We only win 23% which is the 3rd worst in the league.

of the 37% we lose, 19% are from direct marks, also the worst in the league.
Hard to know whether that’s on the midfield or defenders, but it’s pretty alarming

Here’s some stats for you:
In defensive 50 one on one contests In 2020, we lose about 37% of them, which is the worst in the league. We only win 23% which is the 3rd worst in the league.

of the 37% we lose, 19% are from direct marks, also the worst in the league.
Hard to know whether that’s on the midfield or defenders, but it’s pretty alarming

You would have to say it’s on both most likely not enough pressure up the field to effect the delivery to the forward and also the inability our defenders tend to show when 1v1 under a high ball, we tend to be out muscled regularly in those circumstances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back