Game Recommendations

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for game recommendations.

A thread where those looking for a particular type of game can ask for suggestions; and those who have just played a particularly brilliant game can list it and hope others jump on board.

Personally I'm in a bit of a lull that I'm hoping will be filled with Horizon next week. There are a few games out there that I wouldn't mind playing (Yakuza 0, The Last Guardian, Mafia III, Watch Dogs 2, Resident Evil 7), but as someone who's being a bit stingy with cash lately none of them have convinced me to pay current retail price.

What I'm really craving is a well-written, narrative-focused point-and-click or visual novel, whether it's for PS4/PC/Vita/3DS. In the former category I adore both Hotel Dusk and its sequel, Last Window, and in the latter, the Zero Escape trilogy (999, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Escape) and Danganronpa are both brilliant. If anybody knows of any games in a similar vein, let me know.

I'll also use this space to yet again recommend Life is Strange to anybody that hasn't played it. And by "recommend" I mean threaten to ban anybody who hasn't.

I'll also use this space to yet again recommend Life is Strange to anybody that hasn't played it. And by "recommend" I mean threaten to ban anybody who hasn't.

Have you played Oxenfree? Seems like it would be right up your alley. Actually reminded me a bit of Life is Strange but with slightly more believable teenage dialogue (less hella). Story isn't as heavy on the feels and it's only a 4-5 hour experience but well worth playing.

Have you played Oxenfree? Seems like it would be right up your alley. Actually reminded me a bit of Life is Strange but with slightly more believable teenage dialogue (less hella). Story isn't as heavy on the feels and it's only a 4-5 hour experience but well worth playing.

It's definitely on my to play list but I'm having difficulty justifying $30 for a four hour game at the minute. Waiting for a drop. Similar story with Inside.

It's definitely on my to play list but I'm having difficulty justifying $30 for a four hour game at the minute. Waiting for a drop. Similar story with Inside.
its a tough one, i might have picked it up during the EOFY sale on xbox last year cant remember if I paid over $20 or not

It has replay value, it's best to play at night with the lights off, the audio is awesome and it's the kind of game where supporting the developer can be good but I get the price can be off putting

that dragon, cancer.

i haven't played it so can't recommend, but made a bit of a splash at release. note though it's apparently very short.

Has anyone played the remastered Uncharted titles?
The missus bought me a PS4 with A thiefs end. Didn't think I would enjoy it but couldn't put it down.

The missus bought me a PS4 with A thiefs end. Didn't think I would enjoy it but couldn't put it down.
They are just the originals with better graphics from what I have ben told

I want a great strategy game that I can get on eith XB1 or PS4 or maybe even on android (preferably not).

I use to love the Civ series, but no longer have a fast PC to play it on. Something along the lines of Civ, a tycon type game or C&C series

Finished the remasters the other night. Pick it up if you were a fan of A Thiefs End, it's basically more of the same and you cant really argue with the amount of content you are getting for the money. I was a tad burned out with bullet sponge enemies by the end of the third game though.

Papers Please is a couple of years old now (and sounds like the worlds worst premise for a game, manning an eastern bloc immigration checkpoint and checking that everyone has their documentation in order) but it's actually very compelling. Will run on a potato as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know any PS4 alternatives to State of Decay? Have played Dying Light, which is the usual recommendation. Just wanted to know if there are any other similar S.O.D/Day Z similar games for PS4

Anyone know any PS4 alternatives to State of Decay? Have played Dying Light, which is the usual recommendation. Just wanted to know if there are any other similar S.O.D/Day Z similar games for PS4

Sorry can't think of anything on PS4 like that.
However if you have a gaming PC or a XB1 there is the Dead Rising games.

What I'm really craving is a well-written, narrative-focused point-and-click or visual novel, whether it's for PS4/PC/Vita/3DS. In the former category I adore both Hotel Dusk and its sequel, Last Window, and in the latter, the Zero Escape trilogy (999, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Escape) and Danganronpa are both brilliant. If anybody knows of any games in a similar vein, let me know.

I'm a big fan of every game you've listed (but haven't played Daggenropa or however it's spelt)...I also played 10 minutes of Life is Strange before giving up...maybe need to try again -.-

Days Gone which is in development by Sony Bend.

Sorry can't think of anything on PS4 like that.
However if you have a gaming PC or a XB1 there is the Dead Rising games.
Dead rising is also on ps4. Well the first and second games are, the 4th game is only timed exclusive to xbox one.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of every game you've listed (but haven't played Daggenropa or however it's spelt)...I also played 10 minutes of Life is Strange before giving up...maybe need to try again -.-
Danganronpa's a bit different to Zero Escape but similar in the way that they're both kooky Japanese visual novels that don't care much about normal boundaries. I think if you like ZE, though, Danganronpa's a pretty safe bet.

LiS starts slow but really establishes itself around episode 2. Ten minutes isn't much - I'd at least give it until the end of the first episode. If you're not hooked or at least starting to feel connected to the world, it's probably not worth continuing.

LiS starts slow but really establishes itself around episode 2. Ten minutes isn't much - I'd at least give it until the end of the first episode. If you're not hooked or at least starting to feel connected to the world, it's probably not worth continuing.
If you're not feeling connected by the end of episode one you're probably not human

Remove this Banner Ad

Back