VFL Gameday Round 1 Footscray vs Sandringham 7.00pm @VUWO

Remove this Banner Ad

What sort of player is Gardner?

Plugger!

When he was drafted he was groomed to a big key defender Lonergan style. We have key defenders coming out of our ears so he never got a chance.

Apparently he used to run around at training pretending to be Plugger and when they switched him forward in the VFL last year he kicked a couple of bags.

Not really sure why the club wasn't that keen on him, they never even gave him a proper crack at JLT, I think they probably thought he lacked agility to be an AFL player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did Lynch, Roberts and West go?
West did a few nice things. He spent a bit of time on the bench, but when he was out there he was solid enough without starring. Just need to give him time to find his feet, but a reasonably good first up game. Roberts was alright and did his job, but did not stand out as someone who you would consider for senior selection in the coming weeks. Makes too many basic mistakes for my liking. Lynch flashed in and out of the game but was better than last week. He has had an interrupted pre season with some niggles and will be better for the run. Have no doubt he will be considered for senior selection after a few solid performances.

I understand it's his first game back after such a serious injury, which is awesome. But we all know Webb has been the type to dominate VFL but struggles to translate that form into seniors when given a crack.

But good on him for getting back out there.
Important to remember he only just turned 23. Can't rule him out of ever making our best 22, but for now I'm just glad he's back and playing well. Good signs

Would bring a defensive mindset with him. With his kicking being a bit suspect doesn't matter as much if he is having a ping at goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back