Official Club Stuff Gameday Village ...annexed by the SMA

Remove this Banner Ad

When are the final findings of this hearing gonna take place?
The select committee will take as long as they want to hear submissions. There aren't deadlines. Then the secretary of the committee has to write up the report with help/input of MP's

A roof isn't going to get us a Port run GDV. Only a Thursday night to Sunday night liquor licence issued to Tennis SA will get us that.

A bullshit SMA run, mickey mouse GDV, will probably see the light of day in 2020.

State government in the budget has just given Tennis SA $44m to do the 2nd stage development on Memorial Drive.

If the pricks give Tennis SA a 365 day liquor licence then we get our GDV back. This expansion surely means the Liquor Commissioner has no reason to stop Tennis SA having their own licence and can do what they want when they want and tell the SMA to piss off.

I went to the 4.10pm Hawks v Essendon game at AO this year. There was a tennis tournament on for juniors from around Oz. When I left AO walking outside from the SE corner AO and towards Memorial Drive the roof had been completed and the roof lights were on it was dark about 6.45pm and I thought how good would it be if the GDV was below that roof and we pop in and have a beer??

Both Hindmarsh Stadium and the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre will undergo major upgrades worth more than $40 million each to attract global sporting events.

In the 2020-21 state budget, $45 million was committed to the redevelopment of Hindmarsh Stadium, in an effort to secure major soccer events, such as the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2023. Meanwhile, $44 million was set aside for the second stage of upgrades to the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre.

The investment, part of a $204 million Sports and Recreation infrastructure plan, follows days of speculation that the stadiums would receive a cash splash in this year’s budget.

Meanwhile, $44 million was allocated for the second stage of the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre redevelopment, creating an additional 1500 seats across four new grandstands. It would bring the total capacity of the venue to 6000 people. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of 2021.

The investment builds on the $10 million already spent on the venue’s roof. The State Government also promised upgrades to elite training and recovery facilities, as well as improved access to the Adelaide Oval precinct. But it’s not just tennis the upgrades are aimed at, as the government hopes to also attract e-sports, arts events and concerts. [these events need their own liquor licence]

1604988843949.png

The City
Memorial Drive redevelopment

One of the biggest announcements in this year’s budget is a $44 million stage-two redevelopment of the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre.

The Government says the project, to be complete by the end of next year, will transform the centre into “a state-of-the-art arena for sporting, arts and entertainment events”.

It will feature four new grandstands to increase seating capacity to 6000, event and function spaces, elite training and recovery facilities, digital infrastructure and improved access to Adelaide Oval.

Treasurer Rob Lucas said a business case was already complete. “Its prime purposes will obviously be for tennis, but also for events such as concerts and artistic events, and festivals are potentially going to be utilising that particular space,” he said.

This could be posted in any thread about any topic and it would always be correct.

Yeah I reckon more so on this particular agenda item.

Port did it and it was amazing. Made Adelaide Oval feel like we had a home ground for the first time since Round 22 1996. People raved about it. Honest crows supporters loved it. Opposition supporters that I spoke to loved it. The Camry's tried to replicate it and failed dismally. It was our thing and we made money.

They hated it from day 1 and worked hard to * it for us.

They'll do anything to stop the GDV happening again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

State government in the budget has just given Tennis SA $44m to do the 2nd stage development on Memorial Drive.

If the pricks give Tennis SA a 365 day liquor licence then we get our GDV back. This expansion surely means the Liquor Commissioner has no reason to stop Tennis SA having their own licence and can do what they want when they want and tell the SMA to piss off.

I went to the 4.10pm Hawks v Essendon game at AO this year. There was a tennis tournament on for juniors from around Oz. When I left AO walking outside from the SE corner AO and towards Memorial Drive the roof had been completed and the roof lights were on it was dark about 6.45pm and I thought how good would it be if the GDV was below that roof and we pop in and have a beer??

Both Hindmarsh Stadium and the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre will undergo major upgrades worth more than $40 million each to attract global sporting events.

In the 2020-21 state budget, $45 million was committed to the redevelopment of Hindmarsh Stadium, in an effort to secure major soccer events, such as the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2023. Meanwhile, $44 million was set aside for the second stage of upgrades to the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre.

The investment, part of a $204 million Sports and Recreation infrastructure plan, follows days of speculation that the stadiums would receive a cash splash in this year’s budget.

Meanwhile, $44 million was allocated for the second stage of the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre redevelopment, creating an additional 1500 seats across four new grandstands. It would bring the total capacity of the venue to 6000 people. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of 2021.

The investment builds on the $10 million already spent on the venue’s roof. The State Government also promised upgrades to elite training and recovery facilities, as well as improved access to the Adelaide Oval precinct. But it’s not just tennis the upgrades are aimed at, as the government hopes to also attract e-sports, arts events and concerts. [these events need their own liquor licence]

View attachment 1008040

The City
Memorial Drive redevelopment

One of the biggest announcements in this year’s budget is a $44 million stage-two redevelopment of the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre.

The Government says the project, to be complete by the end of next year, will transform the centre into “a state-of-the-art arena for sporting, arts and entertainment events”.

It will feature four new grandstands to increase seating capacity to 6000, event and function spaces, elite training and recovery facilities, digital infrastructure and improved access to Adelaide Oval.

Treasurer Rob Lucas said a business case was already complete. “Its prime purposes will obviously be for tennis, but also for events such as concerts and artistic events, and festivals are potentially going to be utilising that particular space,” he said.
So Tennis and other sports getting handouts...maybe a little AFL club down at Alberton too?

I'm not holding my breath.

The SMA do not care about gameday experiences they only care for money. They'll use their government and council connections to block any effort Port put into another gameday village.

I'm not holding my breath.

The SMA do not care about gameday experiences they only care for money. They'll use their government and council connections to block any effort Port put into another gameday village.
You are looking at it from the wrong angle. Tennis SA go and apply for a Liquor licence for 365 days because they will have this new you beaut facility they want to host non sports events that people want to buy a drink at and upto 6,000 people are in attendance.

Tennis SA tell the government and the liquor commission there is no point giving us all this money for new facilities and you want us to chase events, but we can't have a 365 day permanent liquor licence like AO have.

Once that deal is done, then Port directly talk to Tennis SA to rent out the place 15 times a year. We will have to pay more rent than before and pay more for beers than in 2014-16 years, but bad luck. The SMA can't do anything.

You are looking at it from the wrong angle. Tennis SA go and apply for a Liquor licence for 365 days because they will have this new you beaut facility they want to host non sports events that people want to buy a drink at and upto 6,000 people are in attendance.

Tennis SA tell the government and the liquor commission there is no point giving us all this money for new facilities and you want us to chase events, but we can't have a 365 day permanent liquor licence like AO have.

Once that deal is done, then Port directly talk to Tennis SA to rent out the place 15 times a year. We will have to pay more rent than before and pay more for beers than in 2014-16 years, but bad luck. The SMA can't do anything.

Actually with this line of thinking, a certain Mr Cahill could possibly help leverage a deal for us with the premise of bringing someone with him to play at Tennis SA's premium event each year.

Actually with this line of thinking, a certain Mr Cahill could possibly help leverage a deal for us with the premise of bringing someone with him to play at Tennis SA's premium event each year.
Mr Cahill should be part of Tennis SA group who talk to the premier and relevant minister that is in charge of the Liquor Commissioners department and tell them all this will be a 365 day a year venue just like AO is and they want a 365 day a year liquor licence just like AO have.

Mr Cahill should be part of Tennis SA group who talk to the premier and relevant minister that is in charge of the Liquor Commissioners department and tell them all this will be a 365 day a year venue just like AO is and they want a 365 day a year liquor licence just like AO have.
And explicitly an outward facing no-ticket-required bar like the one that the SMA hotel set a precedent for

I agree with what you outline as it appears the logical thing to do but I have some doubts about the business model Tennis SA have adopted over the years. Maybe they have been hamstrung by their parklands location but they do not appear to have been too keen on a 365 day business model. The Game Day Village always seemed a potential money earner for Tennis SA as well as Port Adelaide but they capitulated when the SMA started to throw it's weight around. If Tennis SA were smart they would have a six months arrangement with both SA based clubs and capitalise on their location. Surely 22 weeks of AFL footy is too good an opportunity to miss?

When the Game day Village was quashed I felt the the PAFC was fighting the issue on it's own and I hope that Tennis SA will see the light.

Yeah I reckon more so on this particular agenda item.

Port did it and it was amazing. Made Adelaide Oval feel like we had a home ground for the first time since Round 22 1996. People raved about it. Honest crows supporters loved it. Opposition supporters that I spoke to loved it. The Camry's tried to replicate it and failed dismally. It was our thing and we made money.

They hated it from day 1 and worked hard to fu** it for us.

They'll do anything to stop the GDV happening again.

Yep. Classic Adelaide establishment cutting its nose off to spite its face.

The damage they did to SA football culture by killing it, rather than embracing it, is unforgivable.

Yep. Classic Adelaide establishment cutting its nose off to spite its face.

The damage they did to SA football culture by killing it, rather than embracing it, is unforgivable.

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times, the only thing that’s ever held South Australia back is South Australians.

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times, the only thing that’s ever held South Australia back is South Australians.

As a South Australian, I can only agree.

I agree with what you outline as it appears the logical thing to do but I have some doubts about the business model Tennis SA have adopted over the years. Maybe they have been hamstrung by their parklands location but they do not appear to have been too keen on a 365 day business model. The Game Day Village always seemed a potential money earner for Tennis SA as well as Port Adelaide but they capitulated when the SMA started to throw it's weight around. If Tennis SA were smart they would have a six months arrangement with both SA based clubs and capitalise on their location. Surely 22 weeks of AFL footy is too good an opportunity to miss?

When the Game day Village was quashed I felt the the PAFC was fighting the issue on it's own and I hope that Tennis SA will see the light.
Tennis SA's model has been to host 1 major international tennis event a year and some minor ones as well as be the head body/centre for tennis in the state. Their facilities were too run down to try to be much else. When was the last serious size concert held at Memorial Drive? And I'm not talking about the 3 bands that played after the first game at the redeveloped AO. When did an international act last play Memorial Drive? 1990?

The GDV earned little money for Tennis SA. It was a 45th order issue for them as it was an idea hatched up Tennis SA's Steve Baldus and Port's Steve Dawes at that concert for the opening game in Rd 1. But it wasn't core business for Tennis SA.

When the government gave $535m to redevelop AO they told the SACA and SANFL it had to be a 365 day a year venue, hence the restaurants and function rooms that could serve 2,000 meals at each of lunch time and dinner. The government is now saying the same thing to Tennis SA. Here's $44m go and chase more events sports and non sports. Go and become a 365 day a year venue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back