Official Club Stuff Gameday Village ...annexed by the SMA

Remove this Banner Ad

We need another venue.
Try the Adelaide University Bar/cloisters area on Victoria Drive.
Negotiate with the student union.
It's close to where we need to be.
That's what I don't get. There is a plethora of pubs in the city the club could organize something through to replace the GDV. People would go there, all they'd have to do is negotiate with a pub. Why they haven't done this I don't know.

That's what I don't get. There is a plethora of pubs in the city the club could organize something through to replace the GDV. People would go there, all they'd have to do is negotiate with a pub. Why they haven't done this I don't know.
No they couldn't. The whole point of the GDV is that it is almost in the stadium. Our crowds rock up late as it is. The pubs would also have their owen requirements/profit margins etc. to worry about.

Nothing will come of this. It never does. With old creeps like Olsen and Hurley on the board with the strings they can pull, anything we say or do will be quashed.
Kane and SEN, who aren't in with the Adelaide old boys network should be the clubs media mouthpiece here. If SEN is making loud noises, then the usual 5AA/MMM 'keep silent and/or parrot the SNAFL/SMA line' will be harder for them to do. They'd look weak and out of the loop with audiences, so they may be forced into doing what they normally wouldn't - report the facts.

No they couldn't. The whole point of the GDV is that it is almost in the stadium. Our crowds rock up late as it is. The pubs would also have their owen requirements/profit margins etc. to worry about.
Instead of fighting a fight we were never going to win, that's been obvious for years now, we could've taken that business elsewhere from the SMA and laughed at them.

I get the whole the GDV was close to the ground but so are a heap of pubs being realistic. You could negotiate a rate with a pub and go from there for members prices or something. Pubs will take the business, that's what they are there for. The ship has sailed now, and it's affected our pre game atmosphere which is the bigger pity of the entire saga.

Instead of fighting a fight we were never going to win, that's been obvious for years now, we could've taken that business elsewhere from the SMA and laughed at them.

I get the whole the GDV was close to the ground but so are a heap of pubs being realistic. You could negotiate a rate with a pub and go from there for members prices or something. Pubs will take the business, that's what they are there for. The ship has sailed now, and it's affected our pre game atmosphere which is the bigger pity of the entire saga.
Wouldn't have happened though mate. The whole reason the GDV was a success was its location and layout. There are no pubs big enough, close enough.

It should never have been a fight to start with - that's the point, the need for the sma, sanfl, other pissants to kneecap anything our club tries to do. I'm surprised anyone running our club manages to last more than about 5 years - it would be ******* exhausting.

It should never have been a fight to start with - that's the point, the need for the sma, sanfl, other pissants to kneecap anything our club tries to do. I'm surprised anyone running our club manages to last more than about 5 years - it would be ******* exhausting.
I agree but we all know what those mobs are like. They've been doing it to us for almost 30 years now, it will never change.

Location, location, location. If we wanted to do something serious there might be an opportunity on the south side of the Torrens.

But when we had a crack at the quasi GDV in late 2017 for 2 or 3 games between the Festival Theatre and R Bar people didn't turn up like they did at the GDV. No venue is as close or as flexible. Its a s simple as that. A pub is a pub. The GDV was different. It wasn't just about buying a drink before or after the game.

One day the Tennis Centre will be properly redeveloped and they will have a 365 day liquor licence and the SMA will be stuffed. That's when the GDV will return in some form back at its old location.

Location, location, location. If we wanted to do something serious there might be an opportunity on the south side of the Torrens.

But when we had a crack at the quasi GDV in late 2017 for 2 or 3 games between the Festival Theatre and R Bar people didn't turn up like they did at the GDV. No venue is as close or as flexible. Its a s simple as that. A pub is a pub. The GDV was different. It wasn't just about buying a drink before or after the game.

One day the Tennis Centre will be properly redeveloped and they will have a 365 day liquor licence and the SMA will be stuffed. That's when the GDV will return in some form back at its old location.
I went to that GDV they tried, just didn't have any atmosphere there, especially with so many people walking past to the ground. Idea was right, location was wrong.

Pity Alberton is a nightmare to get to and from cause if it was possible you'd pull our post game functions from Adelaide Oval and have them at home. Take everything off the SMA, they'd make a bit of money from those as well. Not possible I know, but would be the ideal option.

I assume sacrificing half the parking at the Torrens Parade Ground to create a GDV would create too much of an uproar?
I think the club looked at that. ACC would oppose the liquor licence even more than the say they had at the GDV.

The reason why we’ve gone at the SMA over the GDV isn’t to do with the GDV itself, it’s to show a pattern of adversarial behaviour towards PAFC. It establishes that the unwillingness to share the confidential plans for the hotel could be seen as being a continuation of that.

It started ever since that campaigner Peter Hurley got on the board of the SMA. If the only thing that happens is he gets booted off, it was worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes its all part of a bigger game the club is playing. Port and its fans know the GDV is dead and why. This is about breaking down the secrecy the SMA and its JV parties have, and the clubs getting on the board of the SMA.

GDV worked as it was adjacent the Southern gates. A pub ‘nearby’ will not work.

Pity Alberton is a nightmare to get to and from

Getting to Alberton for a post match function realistically means driving there, which makes it a complete non-starter for many who would kick on at the GDV or in the city proper, unless our plan is to move from raising revenue for the SMA to raising revenue for SAPOL.

Getting to Alberton for a post match function realistically means driving there, which makes it a complete non-starter for many who would kick on at the GDV or in the city proper, unless our plan is to move from raising revenue for the SMA to raising revenue for SAPOL.
Hence why I said at the end of the post it wasn't possible. Ah well what can we do.

Imagine being the Crows and having a complete licence to do as you please at AAMI and yet you still didn't build a genuine home for your supporters because muh profits.

Hilarious.

Hence why I said at the end of the post it wasn't possible. Ah well what can we do.
Is there anything for away games? The club could put a wide screen at Alberton and throw watching parties for when we are playing away, couldn't it?

Is there anything for away games? The club could put a wide screen at Alberton and throw watching parties for when we are playing away, couldn't it?
They did it for away finals in 2014 and it worked well. You don't get large crowds for the home and away games at The Port Club - maybe 400 maximum, as all away games bare 2 games are shown live on free TV and those 2 games are live on pay TV.

Up until 2016, every Port (and crows) away game was live on free TV in South Australia. The 2017-22 deal allows Fox Footy to show 2 away games of the 4 clubs in WA and SA to have exclusive live rights and Ch 7 have to show them 3 hours in delay. Its an attempt by Fox Footy for people to buy a subscription in WA and SA.

Those Pr@#ks at the Sanfl/SMA know that our anger will die down and most of us will resume buying their overpriced offerings . How about we show some real Port Adelaide grit and boycott the Booze and Food Stalls/Bars ? we all know that loss of revenue is the ONLY way we can inflict pain on them , even if it hurts our own Club a smidgen . For crying out loud in Kochie and the Board wont do it , and they wont , lets take up the fight ourselves !.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back