Analysis Gameplan

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where people like me could ask questions of posters with a good knowledge of strategy. I’m looking at you, Scodog10, Snoop Dog, good4footy, legendstatus, Quicky, Apex36 etc (apologies for people I have missed).

I’ll kick things off.

What would happen if we instructed a forward like Reid, Moore or Cox to remain in the forward 50 for the whole game? Could it work or not, and why?

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where people like me could ask questions of posters with a good knowledge of strategy. I’m looking at you, Scodog10, Snoop Dog, good4footy, legendstatus, Quicky, Apex36 etc (apologies for people I have missed).

I’ll kick things off.

What would happen if we instructed a forward like Reid, Moore or Cox to remain in the forward 50 for the whole game? Could it work or not, and why?
15 v 18 wouldn’t work. You’d get murdered. Mordern footy is basically 18 players following the footy around.

I think mate you would find JENKINS tends to stay in that spot at least 95% of the time when NOT second ruck
Like the crows , we would really need to move the pill
You need to be a great 1 on 1 player and strong with intelligent entries
If mason can stretch em in the air the opposition IMO will have to play bigger
Could work

15 v 18 wouldn’t work. You’d get murdered. Mordern footy is basically 18 players following the footy around.
Why would it be 15v18?

When a forward stays in attacking 50, the opposition don't generally leave him unmanned

Exactly. In fact some teams may double team Cox or Moore. This could actually give us an extra around the ball.

When a forward stays in attacking 50, the opposition don't generally leave him unmanned
Yeah they do. The idea as a defender is that you push up the ground to never be any further than 80metres from the ball. If a forward stays deep and is 100m from the ball the defender will "roll up". This has the effect of squeezing the ground defensively is the ball gets turned over. The 15v18 comment is, i presume, relating to the lack of defensive pressure able to be exerted by the 3 talls. This is a fair comment for Reid and Cox but Moore has really good closing speed and can (when inclined) apply pressure from behind. A single tall forward line with 3 mid sized multi faceted forwards is a really good option if the team utilising that set up has a dominant mid field and or really good rebound from half back.

I think mate you would find JENKINS tends to stay in that spot at least 95% of the time when NOT second ruck
Like the crows , we would really need to move the pill
You need to be a great 1 on 1 player and strong with intelligent entries
If mason can stretch em in the air the opposition IMO will have to play bigger
Could work
Jenkins "1 Wood" is his ability, as a tall, to drag his defender up the ground and beat him on the way back. It is why he kicks some many goals from in the square as he comes from the opposing side of the ground to where the ball was and has left his man trailing. He is a very high risk / reward player as he is effectively the Crows designated cheat. He will exit the area before a contest has been won by the Crows and run offensively. I reckon he is used to do this as the defender he gets is often the least offensively capable defender and carries little to no counter attacking qualities.

I’ll kick things off.

I like the idea of retaining at least some aspect of traditional field placements, but that could just mean I'm old.... I think ideally you'd use someone with pace and good ground ball skills rather than a taller type. Maybe Elliott or WHE or Wells or Broomhead types would be better suited.

Jenkins "1 Wood" is his ability, as a tall, to drag his defender up the ground and beat him on the way back. It is why he kicks some many goals from in the square as he comes from the opposing side of the ground to where the ball was and has left his man trailing. He is a very high risk / reward player as he is effectively the Crows designated cheat. He will exit the area before a contest has been won by the Crows and run offensively. I reckon he is used to do this as the defender he gets is often the least offensively capable defender and carries little to no counter attacking qualities.

As far as I could gather last year crows had 4 bigs, 2 smalls
The advantage they had was lynch and Cameron feeding walker and Jenkins who sent traditional bigmen
McGovern is the only bloke who could take a grab in a pack
( makes that draw harder to fathom), and I think Cameron leaving is a big big loss to their game plan
Gibbs isn't quick , isn't elusive
Eddies glory days could be minimised therefore
As for Jenkins pverrated

Yeah they do. The idea as a defender is that you push up the ground to never be any further than 80metres from the ball. If a forward stays deep and is 100m from the ball the defender will "roll up". This has the effect of squeezing the ground defensively is the ball gets turned over. The 15v18 comment is, i presume, relating to the lack of defensive pressure able to be exerted by the 3 talls. This is a fair comment for Reid and Cox but Moore has really good closing speed and can (when inclined) apply pressure from behind. A single tall forward line with 3 mid sized multi faceted forwards is a really good option if the team utilising that set up has a dominant mid field and or really good rebound from half back.

Buckley has stated in a press conference last year the reason we chip the ball backward and sideways was to draw out opposition defenders. In other games where we cut through the opposition with what looked like run and carry (geelong and ade for eg) it only worked when the disposal efficiency is up to the plan. From what I can gather the "plan" is to outnumber at the contest - swarm - then give off to an outside runner - spread - in simple terms anyway.

When we chip back and sideways it gives me the impression we don't have confidence in our ball skills to pull off the swarm and spread plan and possess so we don't lose possession and hope to go over the top of the opposition defence - which always fails because the options are exhausted and that allows the opposition to force turnover and regain. This is how opposition supporters view our game plan as a non game plan.

These would explain the focus on disposal efficiency this off season, and hazard a guess the FD backs the game plan as it has been and will basically move some chess pieces around and sharpen the skills will be the only differences

Perhaps, but he is the Crow's third best forward... and is probably about 100 career goals ahead of Moore, Reid and Cox combined....

That might be true , ones a kid, ones played about 4% of games in his life the kids played and ones a all australian chb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. Defenders run off Cox all day, it’s bascially an extra player to the opposition.

The 3 players may as well be spectators in the stands watching the game. Nice try though Jmac. Love your thinking but you’d cop a hammering.

The only way it would work is if the defenders on them weren’t allowed to leave the defensive 50 and that would be like netball and resemble more the way it’s written out on paper. Simply doesn’t work in todays age. It’s a very 80s footy way of thinking.

Exactly. Defenders run off Cox all day, it’s bascially an extra player to the opposition.
Except when he kicks goals.
Except when he rucks.
Except when his enormous height troubles other teams.

But other than that, you might be on to something

It would be very lazy for 3 to stand around getting cold while 15 v 18 are chasing the ball around. The ball wouldn’t go Forward much for the team with 15 and if it did it’s very easy to run back and man them up.
I'm pretty sure Jmac meant just one of the three forwards would stay in the fifty.

Personally I think rather than a key forward you'd get a quick strong mid in the Dangerfield/Martin (cause they grow on trees right) role to do it. Someone who can win a one on one if required. But also someone who can get out the back of the defender easily.

I'm pretty sure Jmac meant just one of the three forwards would stay in the fifty.

Personally I think rather than a key forward you'd get a quick strong mid in the Dangerfield/Martin (cause they grow on trees right) role to do it. Someone who can win a one on one if required. But also someone who can get out the back of the defender easily.

Kirby! Would also suit his running ability or lack thereof.

It would be very lazy for 3 to stand around getting cold while 15 v 18 are chasing the ball around. The ball wouldn’t go Forward much for the team with 15 and if it did it’s very easy to run back and man them up.
I meant have one of the players I mentioned stay in the forward 50.

Novel approach.

Kick accurately.

The reason Hocking came on board was to be that hard edge coach that sets him apart from Harvey & Sanderson. He also has a good defensive mind.

Clearly the focus this year is going to be run and carry from the back flanks

Pies really hoping we get a lot of games out of Elliott, Fasolo, Wells, Greenwood and the lines of Wills, Sier, Maynard & JDG blossom this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The reason Hocking came on board was to be that hard edge coach that sets him apart from Harvey & Sanderson. He also has a good defensive mind.

Clearly the focus this year is going to be run and carry from the back flanks

Pies really hoping we get a lot of games out of Elliott, Fasolo, Wells, Greenwood and the lines of Wills, Sier, Maynard & JDG blossom this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hocking. He came on board to make Buckley look good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back