Analysis Games Experience - A lesson in tempering expectations

_Mike_

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Montreal Canadiens
Moderator #51
It is essentially his fault that we keep fielding such young teams.
There's not enough quality cattle to carry the entire team on the shoulders of a few players. The MC also carries the burden of team selection and the list management under Power has, IMO, deteriorated since Dalrymple left. We have a few under performing players from 2016, in the way of Hunter, JJ and Libba for example who are not playing, IMO, to the level expected since.

Im still perplexed at the decisions with Campbell and Roughead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lachy

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
There's not enough quality cattle to carry the entire team on the shoulders of a few players. The MC also carries the burden of team selection and the list management under Power has, IMO, deteriorated since Dalrymple left. We have a few under performing players from 2016, in the way of Hunter, JJ and Libba for example who are not playing, IMO, to the level expected since.

List management under Power has been 12 months. Our list has been deteriorating each year since 2016, isolating Power seems a bit harsh given he was not even involved in 2/3rds of the time our list has been going backwards.

We have not replaced who we have lost through Retirement, Injury, Fee Agency and Trading out in totality at all and there are multiple people involved in this throughout the football department

Proffessor

All Australian
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Your not on your own in being perplexed, the Roughead treatment in particular.

Not sure who is driving all the decisions though. I get the impression that Luke would get his way on most list management decisions, but have no inside info to justify it.

_Mike_

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Montreal Canadiens
Moderator #54
the Roughead treatment in particular.
My criticism of the club in general, over the years, has been the way loyalty has been treated. Now I get that Roughead is not a long term solution for our backline problems, however we've certainly cut the nose to spite the face on this one. Also Campbell should have been moved years ago if he wasnt going to get game time but he too would have been handy to the point that whilst his mobility around the ground is not great - he can contest center bounces and stoppages.

hoianbulldog

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think the inclusion of gardner straight away speaks volumes.
Volumes of uncertainty. Not saying whether he was a worthy inclusion or not but hints heavily at a plug the hole mentality.
Whatever plans were conceived beginning of the season have now been seen to be quickly changed and modified.
Which is worrying because our injury list is not that deep. Certainly not deep enough to radically include a mid season draftee who hasnt barnstormed selection.
It seems to me to be a revealing of a lot of doubts about the playstyle, the plan and the personnel.
I'm guessing bevo was thinking j schache would keep improving, which he hasn't. Therefore there was a hole that needed filling and mid season draft was the only way to address it.

I would not be suprised if schache's name has a line through it in bevos black book.

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To be fair to Power I think at a minimum 3 years is required to see if a List Manager has made a net positive or net negative impact on the list.
Drafted players on the whole need time to develop, and to see where overall list strategy is heading

Top Bottom