News Games moved from Punt Rd to Ikon

Remove this Banner Ad

This is good news imo. More evidence to demonstrate to the state govt that we need funds to redevelop punt road
Unfortunately moving games from Punt Rd won’t even raise an eyebrow with government when it comes to funding. Our growing commitment to community programs will be the driving force.

That counts me out from attending those games as Ikon park is a nightmare to get to from the southern suburbs, the only game i can really get too now is the game at Moorabbin. Thanks Richmond.

Bummer. Trains/trams can't get you there?

To be honest, think games at Punt Rd may have been just as bad. Easier to get to but getting in may have been a problem. Sounds like the 6k capacity would have been vastly reduced.

Bummer. Trains/trams can't get you there?

To be honest, think games at Punt Rd may have been just as bad. Easier to get to but getting in may have been a problem. Sounds like the 6k capacity would have been vastly reduced.
Trains are up s**t creek till mid feb down my way and i'm not travelling to Ikon park on a friday evening for a 5:45pm start in mid march as i will explain below, i struggle to get to the G by 7pm for friday night games.

First game will be full because of novelty factor but the crowds will greatly reduce for the following games, all you have to do is look at past AFLW seasons to see that, 24,568 for that first ever game then 7884 for Carlton's next home game and 6917 for the pies next home game who played it at Ikon Park thinking 20k would turn up again.

Geelong first game in 2019 at KP 18,429 then 7060 for it's next game at KP then down to 4125 for it's 3rd home game.

I think Richmond are getting a little carried away thinking we will get packed houses each game, should've waited and decided later on for the round 7 game IMO because if the tigers ( and i expect them to be ) are out of contention then no one will turn up to Ikon Park on a friday evening given most would've gone to the G the previous night.

Trains are up s**t creek till mid feb down my way and i'm not travelling to Ikon park on a friday evening for a 5:45pm start in mid march as i will explain below, i struggle to get to the G by 7pm for friday night games.

First game will be full because of novelty factor but the crowds will greatly reduce for the following games, all you have to do is look at past AFLW seasons to see that, 24,568 for that first ever game then 7884 for Carlton's next home game and 6917 for the pies next home game who played it at Ikon Park thinking 20k would turn up again.

Geelong first game in 2019 at KP 18,429 then 7060 for it's next game at KP then down to 4125 for it's 3rd home game.

I think Richmond are getting a little carried away thinking we will get packed houses each game, should've waited and decided later on for the round 7 game IMO because if the tigers ( and i expect them to be ) are out of contention then no one will turn up to Ikon Park on a friday evening given most would've gone to the G the previous night.

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. Even if we only match those 7884, 6917 and 7060 crowds it means that many people would be refused entry into Punt Rd and that was never going to be an acceptable result.

They shouldn't have even scheduled games at Punt Rd to begin with in hindsight.

I do agree that the Friday 5.45pm time slot is a crap time for some of us but I guess it's kid friendly and that's pretty much the target audience.

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. Even if we only match those 7884, 6917 and 7060 crowds it means that many people would be refused entry into Punt Rd and that was never going to be an acceptable result.

They shouldn't have even scheduled games at Punt Rd to begin with in hindsight.

I do agree that the Friday 5.45pm time slot is a crap time for some of us but I guess it's kid friendly and that's pretty much the target audience.
Collingwood play at Olympic Park Oval so there is no reason not to play at Punt Road, we could've played that round 7 game there instead of a venue that just quietly was deplorable and disgusting for facilities at the VFL Grand final.

Lets not get big heads thinking we are going to be knocking people back at the gate every game, when AFL praccy games start no one gives a s**t about AFLW and it will be the same with Richmond fans sorry to say.

Collingwood play at Olympic Park Oval so there is no reason not to play at Punt Road, we could've played that round 7 game there instead of a venue that just quietly was deplorable and disgusting for facilities at the VFL Grand final.

Lets not get big heads thinking we are going to be knocking people back at the gate every game, when AFL praccy games start no one gives a s**t about AFLW and it will be the same with Richmond fans sorry to say.
The Punt RD capacity has been reduced to 5k currently, Olympic Park is over 3x that.
Getting a few to training by the look of it so it will be interesting to see how many get to games.

I fear for the crowds playing at ikon ,has never been popular with our fans where there’s a bias many being located on east side of town

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fear for the crowds playing at ikon ,has never been popular with our fans where there’s a bias many being located on east side of town
First game will be packed due to novelty factor but it's the two games after that will suffer and have the RFC going " hmm we misjudged that, maybe we should've played at Punt Road "

If the club is expecting a mass turnout in round 7 for a friday 5:45pm start when there is every real chance the team could be out of contention by then,
they are kidding themselves IMO especially after going to the G on a thursday night then having to back up again the following thursday night.

I don't think you can get 15k into Collingwood's training base.
The old Olympic Park was 18k
Collingwood training base is 3000 capacity, I don’t think our AFLW team should have more members than ground capacity as it would just be embarrassing if there was a lockout.

First game will be packed due to novelty factor but it's the two games after that will suffer and have the RFC going " hmm we misjudged that, maybe we should've played at Punt Road "

If the club is expecting a mass turnout in round 7 for a friday 5:45pm start when there is every real chance the team could be out of contention by then,
they are kidding themselves IMO especially after going to the G on a thursday night then having to back up again the following thursday night.

Given the AFL is looking to raise funds for bushfire relief I think they should reschedule R1 of our AFLW clash with Blues to MCG and have an exhibition match before our game.

Will fill the joint.

Sorry to intrude but as a Lions fan (and I now live in Melbourne) I was genuinely looking forward to going to Punt Road Oval for an away game. Considering yesterday's game got under 3700 people surely some degree of common sense can prevail and it gets moved back to Punt Road Oval.

Sorry to intrude but as a Lions fan (and I now live in Melbourne) I was genuinely looking forward to going to Punt Road Oval for an away game. Considering yesterday's game got under 3700 people surely some degree of common sense can prevail and it gets moved back to Punt Road Oval.

That's 1700 people that would have been locked out at Punt Rd as the capacity at present is around 2000 due to works.

Sure, I'd like games back at Punt Rd but lets be realistic they aren't going to schedule games there and have people turned away or worse they just don't bother coming because they think they wont get in.

Until we can return to the 6000 capacity at Punt Rd we just have to live with it.

Last edited:

Common sense would be rescheduling the game from 5.45pm which is a ridiculous time to around 7pm or something like that so most of us who work can get there on time.

That's 1700 people that would have been locked out at Punt Rd as the capacity at present is around 2000 due to works.

Sure, I'd like games back at Punt Rd but lets be realistic they aren't going to schedule games there and have people turned away or worse they just don't bother coming because they think they wont get in.

Until we can return to the 6000 capacity at Punt Rd we just have to live with it.
Then they better get used to sub 3000 crowds because people in the south, west and east are not travelling to that sub standard shithole.

In your opinion how many do you think will turn up in round 7, my guess is barely 1000 and be the lowest attended AFLW game in it's 4 years.

Put the game at Punt Road so people going home on the train can stop by, starting to get a bit sick of the excuses getting flung around here TBH.

15k turned up in round 1 which was way below expectations, 3700 in round 3 which would've been way below expectations, the fans have spoken but will stubborn Richmond listen................i think not.

Common sense would be rescheduling the game from 5.45pm which is a ridiculous time to around 7pm or something like that so most of us who work can get there on time.
Agree with that. Very likely I will arrive late regardless of the venue

Problem is that they won’t put the AFLW up against the AFL Round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back