Games Shops and Online/Mail Order

Remove this Banner Ad

• Admin
My local is Ace Comics and Games in Annerley, Brisbane.

http://acecomics.com.au/

Decent range but it's not a huge shop so they don't have everything. They do seem to try to get a good range going and I've bought a half a dozen games there.

Big gaming room next door.

I think the Brisbane city store has a bigger range.

http://www.mindgamesbrisbane.com/

General retail store - see below. Mainstream and specialty games.

https://www.gamesworld.com.au/

Games, figures, models, jigsaws, puzzles etc.

Was in Carindale Westfield shop and found prices to be waaayyy over odds. One game I can get from Ace (forget which game) at $65 was $87 here.

Must invest in Westfield shares again.

Last edited:
Melbourne reporting in!

www.milsims.com.au
Biggest around, staff can be a bit dull over the phone or in-store. Stock list is not really kept up to date which is really frustrating for online purchases. They have regular sales which are good value.

http://www.mindgames.com.au/
If they have it in stock, great, not bad price. They usually don't have it in stock (well what I want to buy) and are far too vague on when things are coming in. I got twiddled along for months for a copy of Descent 2.0. In the end I bought it from Amazon. They are decent for war / hobby games, some euros and crap that sells to people trying to buy a game who don't know what to buy (monopoly, poker, chess sets etc). Really not a fan of the staff.

shop.goodgames.com.au
Haven't used them online but prices are decent. I've bought games in-store. They have decent stock of decent games and the guys are generally knowledgeable. Little Lonsdale St store has a fun aroma of Magic the Gathering players. I have never seen a girl in this store.

www.guf.com.au
There are a few of these stores around in country / outer suburban areas. Mostly for playing games in-store but they carry some decent board and collector games and will order stuff in for you at decent prices. Saves me a trip to the CBD from time to time.

Last edited:

I used to just buy from Amazon, but they seem to be constantly changing what they ship to Australia and what they don't (right now they will ship Agricola, but not Le Havre. Weird).

I've bought online from Empire Games in Sydney, excellent service, good stock and good prices.

Also, if someone finds Jamaica in stock in Australia let me know!

Have made a few purchases recently from varied sources so heres my reviews.

Ebay - supanews.books
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Supanews-Australia?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
Pathfinder - $52.39

This was a referal link from BGG due to the price being so low (think its been fixed now) but the result was seamless. Posted the next day and recieved constant email updates along the way. Arrvied very well packed and in perfect condition.
Its a pain to search their store to find the games amongst all the books but was well worth it to save between $20-$30 on this one alone :)

Fishpond.com.au
http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Pa...-Mike-Selinker-Lone-Shark-Games/9781601255624
http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Pathfinder-Adventure-Card-Game-Mike-Selinker/9781601255631
http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Pa...-Mike-Selinker-Lone-Shark-Games/9781601255648
Expansion decks for Pathfinder

First time using Fishpond but these prices were amazing. Good email comunication on when things are ordered from the US and when they are shipped to you. Slightly longer wait time than other sites ive delt with but worth it for the saving. First item has arrived and was just in a padded envelope so while not ideal pretty standards for a smaller type item and condition was fine so im not unhappy.

Ozgameshop
http://www.ozgameshop.com/card-game...e-rise-of-the-runelords-character-add-on-deck
Character expansion for Pathfinder

This is my go to online store for games. Although they dont always have the greatest in stock list. Service is AMAZING including instant online chat for any problems. Prices are usually highly competitive and packaging usually adequate although not fantastic. Recommend these guys highly. Only thing to watch with these guys is prices ebb and flow like the tides and prices show for out of stock items always jump when the item is instock so you cant really use them as a fair comparission when shopping around. If they have it and the price is good you just cant go wrong here. The free postage ends up putting them ahead of most other stores.

Last edited:
Ebay - heli.porter
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171025480872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Extra dice

Just a quick cheap dice grab, 3 sets for $15 seemed cheap, how bad can dice from Hong Kong be right LOL

Milsims
http://www.milsims.com.au/
Suburbia and Suburbia Inc.

Hmm where to start. Suburbia can be a pain to find so i was pretty happy when i saw Milsims had it in stock, add to that they were having a sale, so despite many not so great reviews i thought why not.

Put through my order online quite happy to be getting a copy, thats where the fun starts. No email no response as im used to from almost every other site. I checked here and there over the next week and the order just sat still no contact in any way. Just as i was preparring to cancel the order and walk away i received and email telling me my order had been shipped. Sweet.

So what arrives ........................... Suburbia Inc (the expansion) and no base game WTF!!!!! So onto the phone i go to be told they were sold out sorry maybe we can get a copy in 4 weeks or the order after that. NOT HAPPY JAN!! Manager please. So after a 3/4 of an hour talk on the phone, which at times was a little heated from my side, i learnt buying an INSTOCK item online from them doesnt mean you get it as instock, they are way behind on online orders, they will not guarantee you will receive the item on their next delivery, its not their fault, no one was available to advise on what their next expected order contained and they believe an estimate of between 4 weeks and 6 months is an ok backorder time. So very much **** on a bull level of service here.

End result of the call was they would email me the following monday after someone in purchasing checked with their freight forwarder to find out what was coming from the US. Alas on Monday i received no email so onto the phone again i go. After a much more civil discussion a tuesday email was agreed upon.

From there on in all went well, the email arrived letting me know there would be enough copies arriving to cover all "backorders" (wait didnt i order it instock hmm) and eventually i did receive my copy :)

So how do i walk away feeling???

Mixed, Milsims has a bad reputation for customer service and i do see how they got that, whilst i know they are working to improve that and i have also been informed they are working to improve their handling of online orders ATM their service is pretty second rate and id say way behind industry standards as an online retailer. However once "encouraged" with a LONG call their service did lift and they became more responsive and informative. Also despite my frustrations and disbelief at the service the phone calls were handled pretty calmly and well from their side. So swings and roundabouts there. And in the end yes i did get what i ordered.

The fact that in the same time it took a store in my own state to fill an instock order, i received orders made later from England and the US in quicker time is pretty laughable. And as for sending someone an expansion without a base game .................. REALLY????

The upside to milsims is clearly the fact its an Aussie company and supporting local is good. Their range is pretty damn good and their pricing is semi competitive at times. The fact they take backorders and will attempt to source games is definately a feature that is very good.

Would i use them again ..... probably, but id be looking elsewhere first :(

* as a quick side note i once did have an issue with Ozgames having an item listed as instock that wasnt. Within 3 days i was emailed with an explination and appology and given a code for a gift voucher as compensation for my next purchase with them. Thats how a proffessional outfit does it :)

Last edited:
  • Admin
I think maybe MilSims got this attitude being the big guy in Australia for so many years (decades?) and are struggling with the concept of customer service which the newer players HAVE to be around in order to win business from them.

I think maybe MilSims got this attitude being the big guy in Australia for so many years (decades?) and are struggling with the concept of customer service which the newer players HAVE to be around in order to win business from them.

Ironically I have been into RPG and tabletop gaming for over 30 years, and live not far from their shop but had never heard of them until they where mentioned on here. I am more a Minotaur, Mind Games person and might drive down to MilSims to see what they are like.

I used to be heavily into Games Workshop figures until 25 years ago when they went from metal to plastic figures, reduced the amount in each pack and significantly increased the price. There are alot better manufacturers of figures that cheaper, better quality and value for money.

I've used Games Empire, and they're pretty good, nice range and prices.
I've had secret santa stuff shipped to me from Milsims before, but not personally dealt with them.

If you're looking for miniatures, it's hard to go past The Combat Company. I've bought from them quite often, great prices and service, and a huge range of different games, though if you want anything from Mantic you'll need to go to Games Empire.

Former Games World Employee

Great store, franchise run state to state

Loved every minute of working there and was continually learning more about BG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

www.spieledeluxe.com.au is a new start-up by my partner in Melbourne. The inventory is still growing (daily it seems) and has some gamer staples, but really intending to bringing products that are not available elsewhere in Australia. There's a good mix of Euros, AT and novelties.

www.spieledeluxe.com.au is a new start-up by my partner in Melbourne. The inventory is still growing (daily it seems) and has some gamer staples, but really intending to bringing products that are not available elsewhere in Australia. There's a good mix of Euros, AT and novelties.

Will you be sourcing things like Glen More, Seeland, Endeavour, Citrus, Tobago, Among the stars, Keymarket?

Great to have a nice local trader start up, all the best!

Will you be sourcing things like Glen More, Seeland, Endeavour, Citrus, Tobago, Among the stars, Keymarket?

Glen More, Endeavour and Key Market are out of print. The "Key" games are usually limited - I was at Essen in 2010 and tried to buy Key Market at the stand, but they were only there for pre-orders, which I thought was a bit lame. I don't know Citrus, but Tobago should be available I thought. Among The Stars is Artipia, which is a cool but small company that not many gamers around these parts know.

Melbourne reporting in!

www.milsims.com.au
Biggest around, staff can be a bit dull over the phone or in-store. Stock list is not really kept up to date which is really frustrating for online purchases. They have regular sales which are good value.
Milsims is good for online if they have in stock. Keep meaning to get to their store when in Melbourne, but haven't yet.
shop.goodgames.com.au
Haven't used them online but prices are decent. I've bought games in-store. They have decent stock of decent games and the guys are generally knowledgeable. Little Lonsdale St store has a fun aroma of Magic the Gathering players. I have never seen a girl in this store.
There once was a hot girl in the comic shop.

I must clearly be in the minority with Mil Sims. I have shopped with them for 30 years and I can't think of too many unpleasant experiences other than waiting for back orders.

Like Jaxxon, I have found Amazon very hit and miss.

Nice to see a new shop but those prices are just too high for me.

Milsims is good for online if they have in stock. Keep meaning to get to their store when in Melbourne, but haven't yet.
I've been in the store a handful of times, and they do seem to have a wide range of stuff. Sadly their customer service is rather woeful; they wouldn't be out of place at your local fast food emporium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back