Games that left you shell shocked?

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
To be honest the 2018 prelims both shocked me. If I was tipping I would've gone by WC by 10-20 and Richmond by 20-30.

Melbourne beat us late in the year at Perth Stadium and were on a roll after winning their EF & SF. Teams without a lot of finals experience often hit a brick wall at some point but 10 goals to zip at half time was complete one way traffic. 4.8 to 0.3 at quarter time then 10.9 to 0.6 at half time too so arguably could've been worse. At least in the one sided burst to start the GF we could at least feel that Collingwood probably aren't going to start each quarter 5.0.

The other prelim was a shock too. Collingwood had been great in the QF and dispatched GWS in the SF so they were always going to give Richmond a good run but they just dominated the Tigers and had it pretty much sewn up at half time and if not then soon into the second half. Was always expecting Collingwood's pressure to drop off and Richmond to come back but it never happened. Richmond with 9 contested marks, Mason Cox with 8.
We actually kind of did come back, got within 21pts (after being down by what was it? 50?) and were probably only a goal away from being right back in the hunt - but of course they were just 1 goal from breaking us. They were that much better in the first half that even when we got our game going they were just too far ahead.
In the first half they were just everywhere. It felt like we couldn't even get our hands on it. Left me shocked that's for sure.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
WIN: 2014 grand final. I remember when Hodge's second goal went through feeling like a fool for having been so nervous leading into the game. What a day that was.

LOSS: The early 2015 game against Essendon when the Bombers came back in the last 5 minutes. Was watching with a bombers supporting mate at a pub. He had already pissed off only to come back with 2 minutes left. The reason it shell shocked me so much was because we weren't sure for a second if Luke Bruests goal had been kicked in time. A couple of extra seconds and we win it. Was such a strange finish.

Non-Hawthorn game: The Dogs beating Geelong last year when Harry Taylor missed.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Going right back but r1 1990 gf replay v hawthorn.

After the 89 near miss Cats fans were thinking time is ours to take the next step and win the flag.

At qtr time Cats lead by 11 points until Hawthorn hit the front midway through second qtr.

At games end Hawks by 115
*s Sake.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
No game shocked me more than Geelong vs Melbourne in 2011. 186 point MARGIN in shortened quarters!!

Also, Essendon vs Gold Coast 2011. 94-1 in the first quarter!!

I doubt these two will be beaten in the modern era for a long time if ever.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
There was a game back in ‘07, I think, we played Port in Tassie, looking like we had it won for all money mid-late last quarter, but somehow we managed to let them kick a number of last gasp goals and pinch it. At that point, experiencing a Hawthorn flag drought like I never had before, but feeling like we were willing ourselves back into contention under Clarko, that one REALLY hurt.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
2016 EF. Worst experience of any game I went to, which is a shame because it was my first final and has put me off going to another one. I suppose at Perth Stadium I'd at least be spared from sitting on the broken wooden bench.
My theory is that if you're going to sit through a s**t finals loss, you've got to be there to see a win. After being at our NM and Carlton EF losses, I bloody well wasn't going to miss being there when we won one, whenever that may've be. Likewise, you can bet that after sitting through that PF this year, I'm going to be there when we beat the pies in a final - even if it takes 5 attempts, I'll be there.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lost the GF in 1977
Lost the Prelim in 1978
Lost the GF in 1979
Lost the GF in 1980
Was leading the 1981 GF at 3/4 time, but were worn down and lost by 20 points.
I pretty much gave up going to the footy for a few years after that. Just couldn’t hack it any more & needed a rest.
Yep, I guess as a youngster I was shell shocked.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
These three games have shocked me in the past.
3. Round 11 2014 Sydney 22.16 148 Def Geelong 5.8 38, That was an unexpected result. Geelong was a dominant side at that period and to lose by that much reminds of Geelong 2008 loss against Collingwood
1. Round 24 2011 Collingwood 8.5 53 Def By Geelong 22.149, Man I never forget this game to this day. We were 20-1 going into the game and we kicked first 4 goals of the game, from there it was an absolute demolition Geelong kicked 22 goals - Collingwood 4 goals. It was the only time I turned my TV Off because it was too much to handle
The wtf games from Geelong will consume this thread if we start listing them

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Lost the GF in 1977
Lost the Prelim in 1978
Lost the GF in 1979
Lost the GF in 1980
Was leading the 1981 GF at 3/4 time, but were worn down and lost by 20 points.
I pretty much gave up going to the footy for a few years after that. Just couldn’t hack it any more & needed a rest.
Yep, I guess as a youngster I was shell shocked.
WTF!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't aware of all of that. Phenomenal.

Monday Night, Round 4 1995.

9 goal opening quarter including 4 from Nick Daffy who finished the game with 6.

Blistering game.

That’s the one. We were going ok at the time, but that first quarter was like bottled lightning. Particularly against a great team like North was at that stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That’s the one. We were going ok at the time, but that first quarter was like bottled lightning. Particularly against a great team like North was at that stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed. I remember watching the game with friends and family and even as non-Richmond supporters we were ******* pumped.

100 percent pure Adrenaline.

Definitely the prelim game against Richmond. I always had belief it was possible, because both times we played them we were with them up until 3 qrt time, but I was never convinced we would do it. I didn't even believe it at 3qtr time in the prelim, because I knew Richmond's history of coming back at this point.
I was front row behind the goals. I never let myself believe it until halfway into the 4th. It was pins and needles. I was stressed to beyond belief, because it had been promoted as such a big game in history between these two teams. And all that was on the line.
It was such a shock. I can now re-watch that game many times without the stress, and no matter the result the week later, the way we played against Richmond.. that's the type of way we can play going forward. It can really get us places.

Other one was the Sydney v Gold Coast game. Yup, nobody would have imagined it. Think even all the players were in shock from both teams. Not sure what happened to Sydney, but Suns took advantage and managed to create history.

Back