Games that left you shell shocked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
In the sense that you didn't see it coming. It could even be a season of a club{s}

A few games spring to mind. Sydney's opening quarter against us in 2016 where we conceded 7 goals in the opening term in the preliminary final. I did not foresee that, simply blown off the park. Conversely I thought we were going to cop it a year later in the semi final, but this time we gave them a flogging.

Doggies against West Coast in 2016 in that famous final that kicked off their brilliant finals run was a bolt out of the blue. Destroyed WCE in Perth, then going on to beat the rest of the teams in their way and capture an unlikely flag. Ditto Richmond in 2017 and West Coast in 2018.

Collingwood in 2018 were a huge surprise to me and once again the way they bobbed up in the finals, but the manner in which they responded after losing a hard fought, close one in Perth. That opening half against the Tigers was mesmerising.

Hawks against Sydney in 2015, in Sydney. My oh my. Beat them by about 15 goals.

Carlton's Prelim in 99 and the Crows triumphs in 97 then the 98 come back also tremendous. Our season in 2007 was also mind blowing.

Gold Coast beating Sydney in Sydney last year was also a major shock.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
2016 Round 16 GWS-Collingwood at Spotless.

It wasn't a huge loss at 5 goals and a close contest early. The way the Magpies mids deconstructed our midfield structure after QTR time was a shock though.

2016 Round 21 GWS-West Coast.

That Natanui goal.

Also everything about that game screamed we were going to win. Somehow the Eagles stayed in it in the 2nd and third QTR's, then lifted as the pressure started to show on our guys.

2017 Round 16 Ettihad St Kilda-Richmond.

The Saints really surprised that day taking the Tigers game plan apart and didn't give them a sniff.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
The opening quarter in Rd 1 2012 when Freo got a big start on Geelong. The game Scarlett punched Ballantyne.

There was also a game Bulldogs got about 10 goals in front of Geelong that shellshocked me until Geelong come back and won in circa 2009.

Then the game Port kicked about 12 goals in the 1st quarter against Hawks a couple seasons ago.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
In the sense that you didn't see it coming. It could even be a season of a club{s}

A few games spring to mind. Sydney's opening quarter against us in 2016 where we conceded 7 goals in the opening term in the preliminary final. I did not foresee that, simply blown off the park. Conversely I thought we were going to cop it a year later in the semi final, but this time we gave them a flogging.

Doggies against West Coast in 2016 in that famous final that kicked off their brilliant finals run was a bolt out of the blue. Destroyed WCE in Perth, then going on to beat the rest of the teams in their way and capture an unlikely flag. Ditto Richmond in 2017 and West Coast in 2018.

Collingwood in 2018 were a huge surprise to me and once again the way they bobbed up in the finals, but the manner in which they responded after losing a hard fought, close one in Perth. That opening half against the Tigers was mesmerising.

Hawks against Sydney in 2015, in Sydney. My oh my. Beat them by about 15 goals.

Carlton's Prelim in 99 and the Crows triumphs in 97 then the 98 come back also tremendous. Our season in 2007 was also mind blowing.

Gold Coast beating Sydney in Sydney last year was also a major shock.

I feel ashamed of the last time we finished bottom 4 on the ladder. But when I watched the 08 Grand Final I thought this is an absolute joke. I was just like let them have their celebrations lol. Like we were the best but just didn't get the trophy.

It's like when my friend Marco Pierre White gave back his 3 michelin stars. The accolade simply didn't mean anything to him anymore once he'd reached that level above all others.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The WB flooding against Essendon in 2000. It was the first time I ever saw the tactic and it meant the Dons lost their only game for the year. It was exciting.

1991 first round.... the Crows demolished the Hawks in their first ever AFL game.... i thought the Crows would be unbeatable, and we were all playing for distant second. And Dermie got suspended for about 8 weeks.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I feel ashamed of the last time we finished bottom 4 on the ladder. But when I watched the 08 Grand Final I thought this is an absolute joke. I was just like let them have their celebrations lol. Like we were the best but just didn't get the trophy.

It's like when my friend Marco Pierre White gave back his 3 michelin stars. The accolade simply didn't mean anything to him anymore once he'd reached that level above all others.

Do you mean Geelong were the best on the day? Cause if so, i think you are incorrect.

Geelong were the best team that year 2008, but lots of teams experience that.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
To be honest the 2018 prelims both shocked me. If I was tipping I would've gone by WC by 10-20 and Richmond by 20-30.

Melbourne beat us late in the year at Perth Stadium and were on a roll after winning their EF & SF. Teams without a lot of finals experience often hit a brick wall at some point but 10 goals to zip at half time was complete one way traffic. 4.8 to 0.3 at quarter time then 10.9 to 0.6 at half time too so arguably could've been worse. At least in the one sided burst to start the GF we could at least feel that Collingwood probably aren't going to start each quarter 5.0.

The other prelim was a shock too. Collingwood had been great in the QF and dispatched GWS in the SF so they were always going to give Richmond a good run but they just dominated the Tigers and had it pretty much sewn up at half time and if not then soon into the second half. Was always expecting Collingwood's pressure to drop off and Richmond to come back but it never happened. Richmond with 9 contested marks, Mason Cox with 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Pies match up better vs Richmond than us. We play a more traditional game of kicking long to 1 on 1 contests because that's our advantage with a lot of talls. Richmond prefer to move the ball quickly and have (well, had) 1 main forward target and a bunch of small pressure players.

2017 GF was a bit of a shock. Richmond were playing great footy in the lead up but then so were Adelaide and they were pretty flat.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
of course the come back in 2001. As good as the Dons were, No way in hell I could foresee that. Once it was only 21 or so by half time though, you believed the Kanga's were done for.

1549342319148.png

<close thread>

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond v Essendon Rd 16 2011. I watched on TV.

Richmond 23 points up at the 15-minute mark of the 3rd quarter. Doing it easily. From there on, Richmond kicked 0.4 to Essendon 10.6. In a quarter-and-a-half.

I honestly entertained the thought that the Richmond players had given up, or were protesting about the coach, or the Board or something. It wasn't that Essendon played particularly well, or got lucky kicking goals out of their a*se, or :Dterrible umpiring:D - Richmond just seemed to lay down. If it hadn't been Hardwick's second year, it was coach-killer stuff.

I didn't think about anything more sinister until a few years later when the match-fixing narrative in all sports really exploded, and I think that's the only time where I ever could have thought it about my team. I've seen Richmond get slaughtered many times before (30+ years of it), but this was seriously that bad.

May 29, 2016
Tasmania
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
These three games have shocked me in the past.
3. Round 11 2014 Sydney 22.16 148 Def Geelong 5.8 38, That was an unexpected result. Geelong was a dominant side at that period and to lose by that much reminds of Geelong 2008 loss against Collingwood
2. Round 6 2010 Western Bulldogs 6.10 Def By St Kilda 7.7 49, I'll admit it was a borefest, Low scoring on a perfect night at Etihad Stadium. However Western Bulldogs lead all night and the last 3 minutes St Kilda kicked 3 goals out of Nowhere which they've previously kicked 4 FOR THE WHOLE GAME.
1. Round 24 2011 Collingwood 8.5 53 Def By Geelong 22.149, Man I never forget this game to this day. We were 20-1 going into the game and we kicked first 4 goals of the game, from there it was an absolute demolition Geelong kicked 22 goals - Collingwood 4 goals. It was the only time I turned my TV Off because it was too much to handle

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Even the Pies last year early on away to Adelaide. Missing a host of players, rock up to Adelaide Oval on that Friday night and went *en bang!

Pies were sensational last year. After they dropped their first couple I thought Bucks and Co were done for. They played very well against the GWS in round 2 I might add.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
These three games have shocked me in the past.
3. Round 11 2014 Sydney 22.16 148 Def Geelong 5.8 38, That was an unexpected result. Geelong was a dominant side at that period and to lose by that much reminds of Geelong 2008 loss against Collingwood
2. Round 6 2010 Western Bulldogs 6.10 Def By St Kilda 7.7 49, I'll admit it was a borefest, Low scoring on a perfect night at Etihad Stadium. However Western Bulldogs lead all night and the last 3 minutes St Kilda kicked 3 goals out of Nowhere which they've previously kicked 4 FOR THE WHOLE GAME.
1. Round 24 2011 Collingwood 8.5 53 Def By Geelong 22.149, Man I never forget this game to this day. We were 20-1 going into the game and we kicked first 4 goals of the game, from there it was an absolute demolition Geelong kicked 22 goals - Collingwood 4 goals. It was the only time I turned my TV Off because it was too much to handle
Interesting indeed. Late 90's I think we got rolled by a similiar scoreline away to the Swans. I knew we'd get roasted in that 2014 game { I believe it was Thursday night } but not by that ******* margin.

That 2010 one you mention I enjoyed. Gian had a chance to seal it in that last qtr, but his shot hit the post. Would have been 30+ and out of sight. Fisher snapped that winning goal and you knew they'd hold on from there.

The last one, ahh the memories. Must admit that was a pleasant surprise. In fact 2011 I thought with Ablett being absent we wouldn't do jack s**t. Unreal. Good come back in the first game against the Saints too in a low scoring affair.

Tranquilli37

All Australian
Sep 22, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
In 08 was in Greece and checked the scores out on the net at a cafe. Seen cats had beaten pies by almost 100pts and thought sht, how embarrassing. The next day went back to the cafe to check the scores from the other games and as i rechecked the scores looking at my dt or sc, only then realised pies won by almost 100pts. Was scratching my head in amazement, as one, i missed my team have an amazing win and two, the cats back then were almost unbeatable, let alone by that margin!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back