Games that left you shell shocked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong v north 07 QF. Was optimistic leading up to it. We started off okay, went a goal up after fifteen minutes. The rest history. Only thing I remember that was positive about that game was a funny north supporter a few seats down who kept swearing in Italian all game

On a friend who supports the Demons;
The West Coast v Melbourne Prelim last year, where Melbourne were the first side to be held goaless to half time since 1927 (in a final). Most Fox/7 pundits had tipped Melbourne in a very close match (totally blinded by the fairy-tale) when to most WC supporters it was almost a formality match most of us were that comfortable. Everything was in our favour that week if you look at it objectively, perfect weather, we were coming off a long break, at home and we had a better list who'd had hundreds of games of finals experience more but because of the media hype he was so up and about it was frightening.

I admire him for going all out emotionally but holy * after the game he had the thousand yard stare like he'd just come out the jungles of Vietnam, it was bad.

Probably my own shell shock moment was the Gaff hit on Brayshaw last year, I'll never understand that. Everyone in the room saw how bad Brayshaw looked and just knew instantly Gaff was done for the season. So dumb, so clumsy but even now I'm just dumbfounded by every aspect of it. Gaff actually hitting someone, Lyon ordering someone to * Gaff up, neither club having any idea how to handle it in the immediate aftermath, the weird Golf story afterwards....nothing made ******* sense and everything was out of character for pretty much everyone involved.

Last edited:
We start running the clock down whenever we get in front and invite pressure for twenty minutes until we crack. See this years first showdown for another almost monumental utensil up.
We don’t actively or intelligently run down the clock. More like we don’t keep the foot on the throat enough, happier to back off & then get caught napping.

Probably my own shell shock moment was the Gaff hit on Brayshaw last year, I'll never understand that. Everyone in the room saw how bad Brayshaw looked and just knew instantly Gaff was done for the season. So dumb, so clumsy but even now I'm just dumbfounded by every aspect of it. Gaff actually hitting someone, Lyon ordering someone to **** Gaff up, neither club having any idea how to handle it in the immediate aftermath, the weird Golf story afterwards....nothing made ******* sense and everything was out of character for pretty much everyone involved.

The Gaff punch on Brayshaw was one of those "hollow victories" I can remember

vs Bombers at Windy Hill late 80's.
25 goals to 1 on that mud heap.
Was probably the turning point for the club tbh.
No bigger reality check.

Long time ago - round 1 1970 Richmond v Fitzroy

Rich were a powerhouse reigning premiers - smashed everyone in the finals the previous year - also won in 67 and 73/74 - so they were trully a great team

Fitzroy on the other hand were hopeless - they even had the smell of death about them back then - some years in the 60s theyd win 1 game for the year

The game was played on a Sunday and televised live - the Royal Family were in attendance - the Queen Prince Phillip Prince Charles and Princess Anne - and were introduced to the players on the ground - so there was a big build up to the game

Richmond were expected to win by 100 plus - but lowly Fitzroy absolutely smashed the Tigers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2014 preliminary final.

I felt everything in that game. There was disappointment, there was anger, there was excitement, there was despair, there was pride, there was optimism for the future. It was both really sad to have not taken up such an opportunity but also one of the few games you can leave as a supporter with you head held high cause you know you took it right up to them.
A great game.

Port 2013+14 really surprised me. Great come back vs WCE in 2013, I thought you were gone in the finals vs the Pies however after coughing up a 39 point lead the week before at home to Carlton which ensured they made the 8. You would recall the one point win. Beat the Maggies and gave us an almighty fright in the semi final. Good win in the wet against Sydney too earlier in the year when the Swans were flying.

2014 and that blitz against Richmond, the come back the next week at Subi against Freo who should have been out of sight by half time, then you guys who should have been out of sight by quarter time against the Hawks in that Prelim you mentioned. That was a great game and you guys played really well and arguably should have won.

Port really stepped it up in the finals those seasons. I thought 2015 was going to be the nest step for you guys. It wasn't to be.

On a friend who supports the Demons;
The West Coast v Melbourne Prelim last year, where Melbourne were the first side to be held goaless to half time since 1927 (in a final). Most Fox/7 pundits had tipped Melbourne in a very close match (totally blinded by the fairy-tale) when to most WC supporters it was almost a formality match most of us were that comfortable. Everything was in our favour that week if you look at it objectively, perfect weather, we were coming off a long break, at home and we had a better list who'd had hundreds of games of finals experience more but because of the media hype he was so up and about it was frightening.

I admire him for going all out emotionally but holy **** after the game he had the thousand yard stare like he'd just come out the jungles of Vietnam, it was bad.

Probably my own shell shock moment was the Gaff hit on Brayshaw last year, I'll never understand that. Everyone in the room saw how bad Brayshaw looked and just knew instantly Gaff was done for the season. So dumb, so clumsy but even now I'm just dumbfounded by every aspect of it. Gaff actually hitting someone, Lyon ordering someone to **** Gaff up, neither club having any idea how to handle it in the immediate aftermath, the weird Golf story afterwards....nothing made ******* sense and everything was out of character for pretty much everyone involved.
I envisioned a smashing too by WCE. Perfect weather as you said, home prelim, 1994 written allover again { and by playing the Pies week 1 and getting a week off etc } the media are too biased.

The Gaff hit. I thought even a Grand Final appearance was gone by that point. No NN, Gaff missing, gone. Holy * I.m still in shock as to how you guys won the flag.

Collingwood v Geelong - Round 9 2008.

We beat Geelong by 86 points, which would be their only loss for 2008 up until the Grand Final.
You guys were good odds that game. Around $4. One good thing to come from that shocker of a night.

We don’t actively or intelligently run down the clock. More like we don’t keep the foot on the throat enough, happier to back off & then get caught napping.

Lol we've never been good at it. We even sucked when Choco had us practising it every second week. Same with flooding the backlines, even as a youngster in the stands I would look out and think 'this is a terrible flood setup, nobody has any idea what to do'. It's a strange issue for a club to be consistently bad at something despite so many on field changes over the years.

A great game.

Port 2013+14 really surprised me. Great come back vs WCE in 2013, I thought you were gone in the finals vs the Pies however after coughing up a 39 point lead the week before at home to Carlton which ensured they made the 8. You would recall the one point win. Beat the Maggies and gave us an almighty fright in the semi final. Good win in the wet against Sydney too earlier in the year when the Swans were flying.

2014 and that blitz against Richmond, the come back the next week at Subi against Freo who should have been out of sight by half time, then you guys who should have been out of sight by quarter time against the Hawks in that Prelim you mentioned. That was a great game and you guys played really well and arguably should have won.

Stevic's game for Hawthorn that day still haunts me.

2014 Grand Final. Opening seconds: Kennedy clears the ball and kicks a goal from the middle. Every Sydney and Hawthorn supporter feels a chill in the air, and it feels like Sydney's come to play.

But, nope. Halfway through the first quarter, Hawks go nuts...

I felt everything in that game. There was disappointment, there was anger, there was excitement, there was despair, there was pride, there was optimism for the future. It was both really sad to have not taken up such an opportunity but also one of the few games you can leave as a supporter with you head held high cause you know you took it right up to them.

I was shell-shocked after it. Nearly physically ill when the siren went. You don't see it often but the Hawthorn supporters in my section actually clapped the Port supporters as they left the ground - not in your face, haha you lost style but genuinely respectful.

I was shell-shocked after it. Nearly physically ill when the siren went. You don't see it often but the Hawthorn supporters in my section actually clapped the Port supporters as they left the ground - not in your face, haha you lost style but genuinely respectful.
Easy to do that when you're on the winning side though. If it goes the other way, 95 percent of the time you won't get an applause and get a spray instead.

Credit to a lot of Collingwood fans after the Grand Final though last year. Respectful and Gracious in defeat.

1972 was looking good.
Transformer, BS Volume 4, DP Machine Head, Alivin Purple and baked bean baths.

Then the GF. The whole year was torn apart. Carlton kicking goals from everywhere, they couldnt miss. Bloody Rex Hunt. Have never fully got over the experience.

That definitely cost Port Adelaide a flag - pity the bloke with the beard didnt kick that goal from the pocket

I reckon you would have won the GF by 5-6 goals it wouldnt have even been close

Over the last 4 years or so ( and their terrible performances back it up ) theres 2 teams you want to play in the finals - especially GFs - and those 2 teams are Sydney and Geelong . - you play either of those 2 teams its like you get a free hit . Doggies got the Swans in their flag year

And as bad as Geel has been - i reckon at present Sydney is even worse

That definitely cost Port Adelaide a flag - pity the bloke with the beard didnt kick that goal from the pocket

I reckon you would have won the GF by 5-6 goals it wouldnt have even been close

Over the last 4 years or so ( and their terrible performances back it up ) theres 2 teams you want to play in the finals - especially GFs - and those 2 teams are Sydney and Geelong . - you play either of those 2 teams its like you get a free hit . Doggies got the Swans in their flag year

And as bad as Geel has been - i reckon at present Sydney is even worse

Nah.

Sydney would have done us comfortably. Our best chance would have been to get it moved to the SCG. We do well there but they cream us on AO regularly.

Still better to have made it than not at all.

Doggies had unfathomable advantages going in to and including that game that have never been seen before or since

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back