Games that left you shell shocked?

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Grand Final. Opening seconds: Kennedy clears the ball and kicks a goal from the middle. Every Sydney and Hawthorn supporter feels a chill in the air, and it feels like Sydney's come to play.

But, nope. Halfway through the first quarter, Hawks go nuts...

Bit like 2017 when Crows kicked two early goals with little resistance.

I envisioned a smashing too by WCE. Perfect weather as you said, home prelim, 1994 written allover again { and by playing the Pies week 1 and getting a week off etc } the media are too biased.

The Gaff hit. I thought even a Grand Final appearance was gone by that point. No NN, Gaff missing, gone. Holy **** I.m still in shock as to how you guys won the flag.
Honestly we have amazing depth (best in the comp at the time), which in part was something that Adam Simpson had been heavily prioritising since he got to the club really.

Considering Hutchings, Schofield and Dom Sheed were all fringe-ish players during the year, and then each went on to be probably in the top 5-8 on field when it came to the crunch I think shows how underrated the depth was. The heavily maligned Masten had a great year and Mark Lecras was resurgent as well. Combine it all with a stellar coaching group, a "lead by example" captain in Shannon Hurn and lots of finals experience I think it's a good recipe for success

We've technically been very good for a few years now, just underrated really
Screenshot_20181208-020809_YouTube.jpg

Round 11, 2014 when Geelong got smashed by the Swans by 110 points on a Thursday night. We were 2nd on percentage going into that game. By the end of the round we'd dropped to 6th.

Honestly we have amazing depth (best in the comp at the time), which in part was something that Adam Simpson had been heavily prioritising since he got to the club really.

Considering Hutchings, Schofield and Dom Sheed were all fringe-ish players during the year, and then each went on to be probably in the top 5-8 on field when it came to the crunch I think shows how underrated the depth was. The heavily maligned Masten had a great year and Mark Lecras was resurgent as well. Combine it all with a stellar coaching group, a "lead by example" captain in Shannon Hurn and lots of finals experience I think it's a good recipe for success

We've technically been very good for a few years now, just underrated really
View attachment 620036
I already forgot what a great year LesCras had. I thought he should have retired at the end of 2017.

How wrong I was.

A friday night game v North one year (mid 90's). We came out and kicked 8 goals straight. Was unreal to watch.
Probably the Anzac Day eve game in 95 at the G. We were the peak of our powers and Tigers did a number on us. I still remember it because I went with a Tigers supporting mate and he was going off his head all night.
We got revenge in the finals though.

There have been bigger margins in a quarter, but the first quarter of the Port Tigers EF in 2014 left me shell shocked. I remember watching it thinking the Tigers were just completely helpless, couldn't get near it, Port just doing as they pleased and beating up on Richmond.
Tigers had spent all their tickets just getting to the finals.

There have been bigger margins in a quarter, but the first quarter of the Port Tigers EF in 2014 left me shell shocked. I remember watching it thinking the Tigers were just completely helpless, couldn't get near it, Port just doing as they pleased and beating up on Richmond.
Tigers had spent all their tickets just getting to the finals.

The lessons served us well long term though which is the important thing. We are now going ok as a result of those years. Possibly the strongest we have ever been off the field etc while going well on it.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a win that left me shellshocked was adelaide vs westcoast @ subiaco 2016.
eagles previous margins at subiaco in 2016 were +77, +103, +62, +68, +33(derby), +64 and were almost unbeatable at home in 2015 as well. 26 points down and came back to win by 29

another win that left me shellshocked was adelaide vs west coast @ adelaide oval 2015.
eagles were flying beforehand, we kicked the first 9 goals in an exhilarating display to seal a spot in the finals.

another win that left me shellshocked was adelaide vs west coast @ adelaide oval 2018.
4 game losing streak, team looked completely out of sorts, down by 27, win by 10

a loss that left me shellshocked was adelaide vs west coast @ adelaide oval 2016.
top 2 before the final round, lose by 29 and crash into 5th. a key moment in the 2016 premiership race.

another loss that left me shellshocked was adelaide vs west coast @ adelaide oval 2014.
in good form and looking to cement a position in the 8, kick the first 4 goals in a flash, lose by 31 points in a shootout.

Last edited:
2007 Hawks losing to North semi finals. I thought they had them pre-game.
Based on what?

One of the weirder finals series that one.
2 of the finals in week 1 with 3 point margins.
North lose 2 finals by an average of 97 points.
WC the defending premiers finish 3rd and go out in straight sets after an overtime loss at home to Collingwood
Geelong win the PF against Collingwood by the skin of their teeth, then a week later put up a record winning margin to destroy Port for the flag.

Based on what?

One of the weirder finals series that one.
2 of the finals in week 1 with 3 point margins.
North lose 2 finals by an average of 97 points.
WC the defending premiers finish 3rd and go out in straight sets after an overtime loss at home to Collingwood
Geelong win the PF against Collingwood by the skin of their teeth, then a week later put up a record winning margin to destroy Port for the flag.

Port scrap past WC at home then fly past North in the prelim.

Sent from mTalk

Port scrap past WC at home then fly past North in the prelim.

Sent from mTalk
Not a total surprise though. WC finished higher than North and were the defending premiers.
Plus we had the second worst % of all finals teams. We were an ordinary 4th placed team, evidenced by 2 absolute beltings in the finals.

Collingwood vs Adelaide in 2011 I think we kicked the last 11 goals

We did that a few times that season. Kept the opposition in it for three quarters, and then banged on 6+ goals in the last. Or we'd blow them away in the first quarter, then cruise all the way home.

That Adelaide one was like 11 goals in 15 minutes or something ridiculous though. As dominant a footy as you'll ever see played.

Last edited:
We did that a few times that season. Kept the opposition in it for three quarters, and then banged on 7+ goals in the last. Or we'd blow them away in the first quarter, then cruise all the way home.

That Adelaide one was like 11 goals in 15 minutes or something ridiculous though. As dominant a footy as you'll ever see played.
5 goals down against the Dons and smashed them too.

You were a great side that season. A joy to watch. In actual fact I enjoyed all of your finals years throughout 2002-2011 ( excluding 04 and 05 obviously )

2012 and 2013 weren't that great. The Port loss surprised me some what. They gave up a 39 point lead at home the week before to Carlton, which took the Blues into the 8 ( really 9th )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back