Games you enjoyed but others didn't (& vice versa)

Remove this Banner Ad

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Discuss games you liked that most others hated, and vice versa.

Personally I quite like Dead Island Riptide but most hate it.
I also couldn't get into Saints Row 2 despite everyone praising it.

Dying Light is also becoming one of my favourite games ever despite people's general opinion of it.

Destiny is probably the most obvious one. Core shooting mechanics being a cut above every other shooter I've played this gen have meant that I have been willing to put up with its long list of faults.

Jak II: Renegade on the PS2 is another case, some people hated the tonal shift and the fact that it had some ridiculous difficulty spikes. For me it's probably my favourite 3D platformer of all time (not the best, just my favourite).

Mirror's Edge. Another game that launched to mixed reception. But I really dug everything it was trying to do mechanically, visually and musically. I am beyond hyped that it is finally getting a sequel and I hope that there are enough out there for it not to bomb.

I found the last of us to be extremely boring. Lasted 10 or so hours before giving up

I also enjoyed red dead redemption but cannot understand why it is held in such high regard

Last edited:
I consider myself to be a gaming outlier in some respects. Mostly because I am better than the common man and therefore make better decisions and have better opinions than you trashbags.

Anyway

-I really liked Bulletstorm. I was wary going in after hearing how much of a lame, forced dudebro experience it was, only to find it was a clear parody of those things. Given your average IGN reader is more inretested in checking if his pubes have come in than recognising subtle irony, I should have seen it coming.

-AC 1 was great. People s**t on the repetitiveness but I get the feeling these are mostly people who came to the series at 2 or later. Don't get me wrong 2 is a better game (brotherhood even better) but 1 was a technical marvel for 2007 or whatever it was, and the outside-animus twist is impossible to describe for anyone who has picked the series up at a later stage.

-BTW, AC Revelations was what broke the series, not AC 3. People like Rev. It was ass in every way. Yes 3 was worse, but Rev started the decline and no game in the series since has reached the quality of the first 3 (BF closest).

-Doom 3 was awesome. Again, groundbreaking for its time. I also think as a game its reputation has retrospectively dropped over time - nobody hated on the pacing, horror elements or story in 2003. It's kind of like GA Snr in that way.

-I've tried to play the original Deus Ex and the 2011 (?) release multiple times... never get far past the first mission. So boring.

I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

I consider myself to be a gaming outlier in some respects. Mostly because I am better than the common man and therefore make better decisions and have better opinions than you trashbags.

Anyway

-I really liked Bulletstorm. I was wary going in after hearing how much of a lame, forced dudebro experience it was, only to find it was a clear parody of those things. Given your average IGN reader is more inretested in checking if his pubes have come in than recognising subtle irony, I should have seen it coming.

-AC 1 was great. People s**t on the repetitiveness but I get the feeling these are mostly people who came to the series at 2 or later. Don't get me wrong 2 is a better game (brotherhood even better) but 1 was a technical marvel for 2007 or whatever it was, and the outside-animus twist is impossible to describe for anyone who has picked the series up at a later stage.

-BTW, AC Revelations was what broke the series, not AC 3. People like Rev. It was ass in every way. Yes 3 was worse, but Rev started the decline and no game in the series since has reached the quality of the first 3 (BF closest).

-Doom 3 was awesome. Again, groundbreaking for its time. I also think as a game its reputation has retrospectively dropped over time - nobody hated on the pacing, horror elements or story in 2003. It's kind of like GA Snr in that way.

-I've tried to play the original Deus Ex and the 2011 (?) release multiple times... never get far past the first mission. So boring.

I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

Agree 100% with all of these. Guess that makes me an outlier too.

Best example I can think of is Alpha Protocol. Universally panned by critics, cheesy and buggy as hell. For some reason though I just loved it, finished it multiple times. I think it was just because the spy setting was unlike any other RPG and a nice change to the usual fantasy fare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is an incredible masterpiece graphics and movie wise but the gameplay itself was nothing new.
Has been done in previous games before and was just repetitive over time. Collect rations and upgrade at selected levels, hardly original.
Yeah, it struck me as more of an interactive movie rather than a video game

In terms of everyone else enjoying but me not, the Zelda and Final Fantasy games would be up there for me. Tried to get into Ocarina of Time but just found it so boring.
Also the new Super Mario Bros just didn't do it for me. The Donkey Kong Country Returns games shat all over them.

A big one I loved that seemed to get little to no interest whatsoever was Tintin on PS3. Great little side scrolling platformer with combat and puzzle solving. And had a full offline co-op campaign as well.
I also quite enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, it had some faults but as far as story and all that went, it was classic Duke Nukem.

Seriously though, the one that comes to mind instantly is LA Noire; really enjoyed the entire game. Isn't exactly a new topic for this board though, there's a pretty even split between those that liked it and those that didn't. In my experience, though, it wasn't very well received.

Count me as another who disliked Last of Us and loved Bulletstorm.

I thought Titanfalll was amazing. Movement as pilots was fantastic and playing as the 3 different titans was epic. There were heaps of great maps. Excellent balance. But others said it was boring, and Ill never understand why.

Evolve was the 2nd best shooter Ive played in years. The classes were distinct and relevant. It was fun and tactical. It had 3 major things going against it. It was boring at times (chasing them monster). You often had to rely on randoms for good teamplay. lol rite? And no campaign sucked. The stuff about microtransactions was a total media beat up.

Count me as another who disliked Last of Us and loved Bulletstorm.

I thought Titanfalll was amazing. Movement as pilots was fantastic and playing as the 3 different titans was epic. There were heaps of great maps. Excellent balance. But others said it was boring, and Ill never understand why.

Evolve was the 2nd best shooter Ive played in years. The classes were distinct and relevant. It was fun and tactical. It had 3 major things going against it. It was boring at times (chasing them monster). You often had to rely on randoms for good teamplay. lol rite? And no campaign sucked. The stuff about microtransactions was a total media beat up.
Evolve and 'best' in the same sentence...

Socom Confrontation on ps3, it was slammed by many and it did have a shitload of bugs at release(and months after it lol) but it was the most played game on my console and loved every second of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back