Games you would like to have seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Premiership count should look more something like this:

1949, 1950, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2020. (14)

Id go like this:

1949, 1950, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 = 11

The ones I really think we missed out on in the above:

1978: Let the Hawks kick 3-4 unanswered goals in the first 1/4 before we got on the board, yes we pegged them back and hit the front but we ended up losing by the same amount we let the Hawks kick in the first 1/4.

1983: Minor premiers, probably one of the most talented North sides with us the "destination club" for players wanting to win a premiership but we went out in straight sets in the finals.

1993: Finished 3rd in the rubbish mcintyre 6 finals system, half a game behind both Essendon and Carlton who we beat during the season, forced to play in a sudden death elimination final versus 6th placed Eagles.
Round 8 game against the Crows, up by 30 points 3/4 time, we let Modra go wild in the last 1/4 kicking a bag and the Crows win by 2pts.
Round 22 we lost Horse with a knee injury in the last game versus the Dogs, lost the game finished 3rd, if we won either of those games, or the rd 14 game against the Roy Boys (lost by 1 point), we finish 1st with a double chance.
Finals: Finish 3rd and we lost our finals game against the 6th placed Eagles and straight out of the finals, the Crows 5th who finished below us win their first game in the finals, lose their second but aren't eliminated and get a second chance. What sort of finals system gives a team lower down (5th) in the ladder a second chance over a higher finishing side (3rd), no wonder they got rid of the rubbish system!

1997: Carey injured in round 1 and out for 11 weeks, Archer and Swatta getting suspended, Corey getting injured during the Prelim Final game and the rabbid Saints cheering!

1998: enough said!

Remove these

1976: Crimins Cup, no way Hawthorn were going to lose this game with their captain lying in a hospital room days away from dieing.

1994: WCE of 94 were an amazing side, I don't think we'd have gone any better than the Cats.

Id go like this:

1949, 1950, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 = 11

The ones I really think we missed out on in the above:

1978: Let the Hawks kick 3-4 unanswered goals in the first 1/4 before we got on the board, yes we pegged them back and hit the front but we ended up losing by the same amount we let the Hawks kick in the first 1/4.

1983: Minor premiers, probably one of the most talented North sides with us the "destination club" for players wanting to win a premiership but we went out in straight sets in the finals.

1993: Finished 3rd in the rubbish mcintyre 6 finals system, half a game behind both Essendon and Carlton who we beat during the season, forced to play in a sudden death elimination final versus 6th placed Eagles.
Round 8 game against the Crows, up by 30 points 3/4 time, we let Modra go wild in the last 1/4 kicking a bag and the Crows win by 2pts.
Round 22 we lost Horse with a knee injury in the last game versus the Dogs, lost the game finished 3rd, if we won either of those games, or the rd 14 game against the Roy Boys (lost by 1 point), we finish 1st with a double chance.
Finals: Finish 3rd and we lost our finals game against the 6th placed Eagles and straight out of the finals, the Crows 5th who finished below us win their first game in the finals, lose their second but aren't eliminated and get a second chance. What sort of finals system gives a team lower down (5th) in the ladder a second chance over a higher finishing side (3rd), no wonder they got rid of the rubbish system!

1997: Carey injured in round 1 and out for 11 weeks, Archer and Swatta getting suspended, Corey getting injured during the Prelim Final game and the rabbid Saints cheering!

1998: enough said!

Remove these

1976: Crimins Cup, no way Hawthorn were going to lose this game with their captain lying in a hospital room days away from dieing.

1994: WCE of 94 were an amazing side, I don't think we'd have gone any better than the Cats.

Elroo ? Are you me ? 😯

Done well to get the whole game.

A great memory & Schimma at his best. What a day.

My games would be the:
  • comeback against Carlton at Princess Park (just the last 5 minutes) as it is the last time I left a game before the final siren
  • top of the table clash against the Dogs in 98
  • elimination final against * with Frank the Tank Petrie
  • the games last weekend (feels like years ago) with the finals win over the pies & that second half against the Saints

75,77 & the finals of that era as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunnington is impressive, but Cable was another level again.
They’re different I think. There’s so much more congestion around Cunners than there was in the 70s, and his ability to find the right option out of traffic is otherworldly. Cable was more about handball as an attacking weapon. Watching that, the willingness of both sides to attack with long handballs forward is striking. Looks a bit weird in the pre rocket handball days (do they still call it that?) with the flat/tumbling trajectory.

They’re different I think. There’s so much more congestion around Cunners than there was in the 70s, and his ability to find the right option out of traffic is otherworldly. Cable was more about handball as an attacking weapon. Watching that, the willingness of both sides to attack with long handballs forward is striking. Looks a bit weird in the pre rocket handball days (do they still call it that?) with the flat/tumbling trajectory.
Cable's skills were extraordinary and well ahead of his times. He is one of the few footballers I ever saw that could stab, drop, punt and drop punt kick both feet perfectly, handpass short or long with pinpoint accuracy. Exceptional.

Cable's skills were extraordinary and well ahead of his times. He is one of the few footballers I ever saw that could stab, drop, punt and drop punt kick both feet perfectly, handpass short or long with pinpoint accuracy. Exceptional.
Yeah. Cable was my first favourite North player. He was a joy to watch.

I’ll stick by my point though. What is asked of Cunnington by hand is something Cable didn’t really have to deal with. His vision to find an open option out of traffic the way modern teams work at stoppages is all time great.

Absolutely - most complete footballer I have ever seen.

Barry Cable: 16 kicks, 22 handballs, 3 goals
Leigh Matthews: 14 kicks, 5 handball, 2 goals.

Leigh Matthews rightfully belongs in the conversation for the greatest VFL/AFL player of all time, and his 1977 season was off the charts when he dominated the competition kicking 91-56 in the process. It was statistically the best season of his entire career. He was averaging 27.9 disposals and 3.9 goals per game heading in to this match, and received the greatest hiding of his established VFL career at the hands of Barry Cable on that day.

Barry Cable: 16 kicks, 22 handballs, 3 goals
Leigh Matthews: 14 kicks, 5 handball, 2 goals.

Leigh Matthews rightfully belongs in the conversation for the greatest VFL/AFL player of all time, and his 1977 season was off the charts when he dominated the competition kicking 91-56 in the process. It was statistically the best season of his entire career. He was averaging 27.9 disposals and 3.9 goals per game heading in to this match, and received the greatest hiding of his established VFL career at the hands of Barry Cable on that day.
Matthews is in my top 5 ever. Careyesque in his ability to change the result of a game.

He also had one other crucial factor that was Matthews undoing, amazing endurance.

Never let it be claimed that Matthews was the greatest rover of all time, he wasn't even the greatest rover of his era, and a few of the running machines like Cable, Bartlett and Garry Wilson (massively underrated player), could show him up.

Matthews greatness was when he wandered down to the forward pocket to get in to the game, and basically became an elite goal kicking forward.

Fortunately, we had one of his few nemeses in that position on our list for a short time also, that being John Rantall (another massively underrated player).

As for games I wish I’d seen, what I wouldn’t give to see more of that 1950 side. I’ll pick a game slightly at random - round 6 vs * at Arden st in front of 25,000 people. Came from behind at 3/4 time to defeat the powerhouse and eventual premiers *essendon by 15. Spencer kicked 6 for the winners, Coleman 5 for the other team. Foote, Dyson, Jarrard, Pat Kelly, Jock McCorkell in the shinboners' lineup, Reynolds, Hutchison, Bigelow on the other side.

From the match report in The Age

North Melbourne's spirit of enthusiasm, which carried the team Into last year's final, was reborn in victory against Essendon. It was perhaps one of the best successes the club has achieved.

If ever I have seen fanatical determination on a football field, North players showed it on Saturday. In a game which abounded with physical clashes, no issue was shirked or risk evaded. It was not great football or an outstanding game, but It was a game that required the combination of courage and ability that brings success in final series.

North's eagerness for battle — and it took the fight io the Dons from bell to bell — surprised Essendon, and showed a possible unsuspected flaw in Essendon, in that some of its players can be forced into the background by well-applied vigor.

With North faster, and more than holding its own in the air and ruck, Essendon had no time to finesse for openings, or for calculated disposal. North also upset Essendon by closing down on the Hutchison, Tate, McEwin combination. This, and the fact that the Essendon wings were soundly beaten, stopped most of the

attempts to get the ball to Coleman. Then McCorkell, at full-back, forced Coleman to work overtime for every kick.

Only once did Essendon threaten to swing into full stride. That was in the third term, and it was significant that it lifted with the play of Hutchison. In the final term, neither side faltered, and It was only magnificent individual efforts in attack, especially by Spencer, that clinched the Issue lor North. One mark by Spencer, from which he regained the lead for the Northerners near time off, will long be remembered by North supporters. He took the ball clean above the pack.

Foote's play and captaincy played no small part In the critical stages. As a spare defender he helped turn attack after attack. In the final few minutes almost every North player was on the ball, and scoring for the Dons became virtually impossible

North got tremendous drive from the wings, where McKenzie and Francis scintillated, the half-forwards recaptured last year's form and the big men were In great form. Brooker astonished with his . improvement. J. Reeves has never marked better, Thornton has distinct possibilities, and Lawrence appears the answer to the centre half-back position.

Saturday's game will, I believe, prove the turning point in Norths' future. The Dons will take small harm from that defeat. They can, and will, do better, especially at Essendon or on the big Melbourne ground.

Yeah. Cable was my first favourite North player. He was a joy to watch.

I’ll stick by my point though. What is asked of Cunnington by hand is something Cable didn’t really have to deal with. His vision to find an open option out of traffic the way modern teams work at stoppages is all time great.

I think you've got a good point there too.

It's incredible seeing how much space there was in most games from last century. Before the flood I guess.

Cable was probably a better player. In terms of all round ability. He's also 20cm shorter or thereabouts and 15 or 20 kgs lighter than Cunners. He's built like Boomer.

Shows how much the game has changed in terms of player size and congestion comparing them tho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back