Remove this Banner Ad

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Is anyone else sick of it now? I feel like we give up 4-5 goals in many of our matches (even in finals) because of that and with the scoring having increased this season, I really don’t think that we can do it anymore. Well, at least to the extent that we’ve been doing in the last couple of years.

Just think that we’d be so much better if we just went for goal when we enter into the forward 50 in all cases except if there is an obvious target or we’re not in a scoring position (you know, the obvious ones).

Honestly, I can stomach a missed set shot or a missed snap in general play, but I find it tougher to accept a goal squandered by trying to find the ‘perfect’ set shot. Some may think that they look like a selfless team when doing this (which they do), but at times I think that they just look like players who don’t want to take responsibility for the kick towards goal even if their actions are selfless at the core. The Lynch passage close to the goal today was an example. Why would anyone else have been in a better position than you? They’re not, so just take the shot whether miss or goal.

Also, has our scoring shots or accuracy overall even increased by our over-sharing? If not, then what’s the point? Yes I know it is more selfish to go for the goal, but I’m starting to get over us favouring goal assists over goals because it just turns into a failed goal assist too many times.

Bottom line - we’re very direct in our ball movement around the ground, so why are we so indirect with our ball movement once we go inside 50? It’s a mystery to me.

Yes agreed with all of your points. This is why I think we have a ‘scoring cap’. This cap is around 100-114 with the exception of that one really average team on the day(155 against Fremantle in 2017, 150 against Gold Coast in 2019). When 105 is all you can get with 75 inside 50s due to the over-sharing and unnecessary passes to someone in the same or worse position as you, then there is an issue. We make games harder than it should be in my opinion.

Dusty as good as he is, is one of the main offenders. Id rather him from 55 on the run than try and pick out someone else at times.
Yes exactly! I literally don’t have an issue with him kicking 7 instead of trying to get 2 goals and 5 assists. He is one of our best players when kicking for goal so just take some responsibility and just go for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back