Gaming headsets are a must buy

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Has anyone tried the logitech g933s with PS4? They get pretty good reviews and at $199 at JB pretty well priced

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I have a pair but never used them on PS4. Sound wise they’re probably one of my favourites of the wireless gaming stuff but also probably the cheapest feeling in hand.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi

I just bought a gaming headset and it wont work on ps4 even though it says its compatible.

I got the hyperx cloud after guy in store said they were great.

Problem is it isnt loud at all. Shouldn't be that hard. Plugged it into controller. Plugged it into usb and its still low volume on max. Can the ps4 pro handle 7.1 surround sound headsets.

Read a few things on google sites about needing an amp or something but they are not very useful for finding a solution. Going around in circles with it. Can anyone here help. Im about to take it back. Is there a headset out there that is simple for ps4. I shouldnt have to buy a separate adapter for a headset that states its compatible for the ps4 on the box. Tried changing the settings to chat only but to no avail. What do you use. Any suggestions.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi

I just bought a gaming headset and it wont work on ps4 even though it says its compatible.

I got the hyperx cloud after guy in store said they were great.

Problem is it isnt loud at all. Shouldn't be that hard. Plugged it into controller. Plugged it into usb and its still low volume on max. Can the ps4 pro handle 7.1 surround sound headsets.

Read a few things on google sites about needing an amp or something but they are not very useful for finding a solution. Going around in circles with it. Can anyone here help. Im about to take it back. Is there a headset out there that is simple for ps4. I shouldnt have to buy a separate adapter for a headset that states its compatible for the ps4 on the box. Tried changing the settings to chat only but to no avail. What do you use. Any suggestions.

Which Hyper X Cloud is it exactly? There are so many different kinds, Revolver, Stinger, Cloud II etc. Just having a quick look they have a wide range of input impedance and anything over 32ohms would most likely require an amp. Just noticing that some are stating PS4 and Xbox One compatibility despite stating they're 60ohms.

The PS4 does output 7.1 DTS and Dolby but that would require some sort of receiver or DAC between the console and the headset. This would be any sort of USB component included with the headset. The headset should come with PS4 setup instructions whether it has to be DTS or Dolby. Since you said it has a USB thing and it doesn't have a receiver taking the optical out then the headset will probably be taking all audio, not chat only (not always, depending on the headset but usually).

Alternatively, if you're after something that's decently priced and works out of the box then these are pretty popular
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gaming-headset/playstation-gold-wireless-headset/630607/

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Which Hyper X Cloud is it exactly? There are so many different kinds, Revolver, Stinger, Cloud II etc. Just having a quick look they have a wide range of input impedance and anything over 32ohms would most likely require an amp. Just noticing that some are stating PS4 and Xbox One compatibility despite stating they're 60ohms.

The PS4 does output 7.1 DTS and Dolby but that would require some sort of receiver or DAC between the console and the headset. This would be any sort of USB component included with the headset. The headset should come with PS4 setup instructions whether it has to be DTS or Dolby. Since you said it has a USB thing and it doesn't have a receiver taking the optical out then the headset will probably be taking all audio, not chat only (not always, depending on the headset but usually).

Alternatively, if you're after something that's decently priced and works out of the box then these are pretty popular
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gaming-headset/playstation-gold-wireless-headset/630607/
I had cloud II but just swapped it for cloud Alpha and is a much better improvement.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You needed to update the firmware from memory for true ps4 compatibility.

From then the headset is usually too loud if anything. The microphone is very soft though
I was going to say........ something doesn't sound right there considering 60ohm isn't hard to drive, and the "louder" replacements are 65ohm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The impedance on the headphone jack on a controller is only a little more than a phone. I guess that’s why so many wired PS4 headers are USB powered. You could also probably get away with ~50ohms headphones from the 3.5mm controller jack that have a higher dB/V but it just might lack some oomph.

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
I have a set of RIG 500HD's great value for money

Apr 10, 2015
Dirty white van
AFL Club
Essendon
My Playstation brand headset is on the way to death atm. Sound is only going out one ear. Had it for three years now. Downside is the headset works fine, it's the chord that connects from the ps4 controller to the head piece. EB and JB hifi dont sell them.

Not a huge fan of the external mic and prefer in built but any siggestion on a headset around $130 or less? Has to use both ears and not just sit on one ear.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
My Playstation brand headset is on the way to death atm. Sound is only going out one ear. Had it for three years now. Downside is the headset works fine, it's the chord that connects from the ps4 controller to the head piece. EB and JB hifi dont sell them.

Not a huge fan of the external mic and prefer in built but any siggestion on a headset around $130 or less? Has to use both ears and not just sit on one ear.

Is it just a standard 4pole/TRRS cable like this you need? Jaycar sell them if JB don’t. Otherwise they’re easily available online

https://www.amazon.com.au/ARCHEER-Auxiliary-Smartphone-Tablets-Headphones/dp/B01MU3TY2O

If you can’t just replace the cable then for those dollars the Steelseries Arctis 3 and 5 as well as HyperX Cloud and Cloud II if you want to check them out.

i bought the Corsair $59 headset and for PS4 it works a treat.

i have 3 friends who are just absurdly cheap. one of them bought a turtlebeach headset from cashies which sounds like there's a fan permanently right next to him. one of them uses some old black and green xbox headset and refuses to upgrade but continues to game online. the third guy somehow tracked this down - http://www.meetion.net/products/Gaming_Headset/MT-HP030 - i don't even know how he found this company, you can't even google them without effort. it's actually incredible. it's USB too, can't even read the description. it's same price as a big name brand. he bought it and opened it and began talking to us and we laughed, it sounds like what it is, cheap and nasty. boggles the mind.

Apr 10, 2015
Dirty white van
AFL Club
Essendon
Is it just a standard 4pole/TRRS cable like this you need? Jaycar sell them if JB don’t. Otherwise they’re easily available online

https://www.amazon.com.au/ARCHEER-Auxiliary-Smartphone-Tablets-Headphones/dp/B01MU3TY2O

If you can’t just replace the cable then for those dollars the Steelseries Arctis 3 and 5 as well as HyperX Cloud and Cloud II if you want to check them out.
Dunno what the cable is. All i know is I plugged it into my wireless audio headphones (and controller) same sound in left ear only.

Still haven't gotten around to getting a decent PC headset, but seeing as my Golds are close to done, Is there any headset that covers most/if not all platforms?

Looking at the A50's I see they have XB1/PC and PS4/PC versions.....is there nothing that covers all 3 effortlessly? (aware there are lot of technical considerations with each platform)

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Still haven't gotten around to getting a decent PC headset, but seeing as my Golds are close to done, Is there any headset that covers most/if not all platforms?

Looking at the A50's I see they have XB1/PC and PS4/PC versions.....is there nothing that covers all 3 effortlessly? (aware there are lot of technical considerations with each platform)

I always see them as PS4+PC or XB+PC. I think I read on the Astro boards once that it's something to the PS4 and XB being incompatible. So good luck trying to get something to cover. Check out the Logitech G933. It's fully wireless but uses a USB dongle thingy. It mixes surround on PC but only stereo on PS4. Might work with XB too.

Not a fan of Astro anymore though. The current Gen3 model has improved a lot on the Gen2 in terms of battery and a better dock for storage but it only uses 2.4ghz with no option of 5 it is highly susceptible to interference, the dock can be fickle and the audio feels more compressed. Build quality is probably the best though. I upgraded to the SteelSeries Arctis Pro late last year and it is greatly better. Quite dear though but can go between PS4 and PC. Imo the best wireless headset for console but waaaay overpriced. It costs similar to the Sennheiser gsp600 + gsx1000 headset and amp that I am currently using for PC and it blows those SteelSeries away for both music and gaming.

No real advice sorry.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34018/audio-technica-ath-adg1x-open-air-gaming-headset
  • Compatible with PS4, iPad, iPhone, laptops & PC. Also compatible with Xbox One using the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.
I have a pair of ADG1's, the now discontinued predecessor to these.
Love em. Light, solid, comfy with glasses on, awesome W I D E soundstage being open backed....

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34018/audio-technica-ath-adg1x-open-air-gaming-headset
  • Compatible with PS4, iPad, iPhone, laptops & PC. Also compatible with Xbox One using the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.
I have a pair of ADG1's, the now discontinued predecessor to these.
Love em. Light, solid, comfy with glasses on, awesome W I D E soundstage being open backed....

Those ones in the link I bought from PLE two or three Christmases ago with a gift visa from work because of all the good reviews they get and wanted to see what the fuss was about. Light and comfortable, could see why they're popular for competitive gaming but absolutely arse for music (floppy bass and mushy mids was my main complaint). Also I like my isolation and don't want to hear what the wife is watching on TV or if she's crashing dishes in the kitchen. I'm also probably more biased towards Sennheiser's signature too as I've been using them for a lot longer in both my home studio and for listening to tunes. Different strokes for different folks!

Those ones in the link I bought from PLE two or three Christmases ago with a gift visa from work because of all the good reviews they get and wanted to see what the fuss was about. Light and comfortable, could see why they're popular for competitive gaming but absolutely arse for music (floppy bass and mushy mids was my main complaint). Also I like my isolation and don't want to hear what the wife is watching on TV or if she's crashing dishes in the kitchen. I'm also probably more biased towards Sennheiser's signature too as I've been using them for a lot longer in both my home studio and for listening to tunes. Different strokes for different folks!
Ha!
I have literally never listened to music on them. And probably never will.
Gaming only on my PC!

Regardless of that I think a good point is to ensure people buy an analogue headset with a 3.5mm jack which will allow the addition of a quality DAC in the future if required.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ha!
I have literally never listened to music on them. And probably never will.
Gaming only on my PC!

Regardless of that I think a good point is to ensure people buy an analogue headset with a 3.5mm jack which will allow the addition of a quality DAC in the future if required.

You're better off buying a decent set of headphones to begin with (ie. ignore most of these "gaming" headsets), getting an external DAC isn't going to make average headphones sound any better.

After using the Xbox headset I've realised just how s**t the Sony Pulse headset is. Any recommendations on a good wireless headset for PS5? Preferably one where the mute button on the controller actually mutes the headset.

Back