Gaming PC for around $800-1000

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember seeing something somewhere about some good set ups. Can anyone recommend a set up or a site to visit? I heard whirlpool had some but I can't find the thread.

Thanks.

I remember seeing something somewhere about some good set ups. Can anyone recommend a set up or a site to visit? I heard whirlpool had some but I can't find the thread.

Thanks.

I built the misses a new PC about 6 months ago for $1,100... parts have probably come down in price now though, so would probably cost around $900-$1,000 now. Here is a link to the my original post on WhirlPool:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1913769

But my actual PC ended up being a bit different due to unavailable parts (and me not wanting to wait):

Motherboard = ASRock Z77 Pro3 $119.00GPU = Radeon HD7870 2GB GIGABYTE $378.00
CPU = Intel Core i5 3570 CPU $205.00 (were out of stock for cheaper models)
RAM = 8GB 1600 (4GB x 2) G.Skill Ripjaws-X $53.00
HDD = WD 2TB or 3TB for ~$100 (were out of low cost SSDs)
PSU = Antec High Current Gamer 520W $78.00
OS = MS Win7 Home Premium 64bit OEM $90.00

CASE = Coomaster Silencio ~$100

Subtotal: $1,164

But honestly the 1st question to ask is how will it be used? The above is primarily a gaming rig, hence I spent more on the GPU rather than CPU. AFAIK, spend more on a CPU if you will do lots of multitasking and running apps at the same time etc (but CPU doesn't really impact gaming that much)... if you want better gaming performance (as normally you just run a game and maybe a browser of vent/mumble) then spend more on a GPU.

I built the misses a new PC about 6 months ago for $1,100... parts have probably come down in price now though, so would probably cost around $900-$1,000 now. Here is a link to the my original post on WhirlPool:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1913769

But my actual PC ended up being a bit different due to unavailable parts (and me not wanting to wait):

Motherboard = ASRock Z77 Pro3 $119.00GPU = Radeon HD7870 2GB GIGABYTE $378.00
CPU = Intel Core i5 3570 CPU $205.00 (were out of stock for cheaper models)
RAM = 8GB 1600 (4GB x 2) G.Skill Ripjaws-X $53.00
HDD = WD 2TB or 3TB for ~$100 (were out of low cost SSDs)
PSU = Antec High Current Gamer 520W $78.00
OS = MS Win7 Home Premium 64bit OEM $90.00
CASE = Coomaster Silencio ~$100

Subtotal: $1,164

But honestly the 1st question to ask is how will it be used? The above is primarily a gaming rig, hence I spent more on the GPU rather than CPU. AFAIK, spend more on a CPU if you will do lots of multitasking and running apps at the same time etc (but CPU doesn't really impact gaming that much)... if you want better gaming performance (as normally you just run a game and maybe a browser of vent/mumble) then spend more on a GPU.
I'm not the greatest with computer talk. I want a computer to play games with the highest possible graphic settings. As for multitasking and all of that, when I play games on my other computers at the moment I only tend to keep a web browser up and when I want to watch something or do something that requires lots of power I'll close a game. A set up like yours would be fine wouldn't it?

I'm not the greatest with computer talk. I want a computer to play games with the highest possible graphic settings. As for multitasking and all of that, when I play games on my other computers at the moment I only tend to keep a web browser up and when I want to watch something or do something that requires lots of power I'll close a game. A set up like yours would be fine wouldn't it?

Yeah the above should be great.. because the GPU is doing most of the work. BTW that GPU = Radeon HD7870 2GB GIGABYTE has now come down to $249 ( http://www.pcdiy.com.au/ad/Pricelist.pdf ).

Of course the performance will be effected by things like your screen/resolution size and type of game you play... but again you can find a thorough review of the 7870 on Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148.html

pages of info there... easiest to use the "benchmark" shortcut links at the start of the article... like:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-9.html

^ here you'll see that when running Crysis 2 (on of the most demanding graphical games on the market) it is often near the top... note: the Radeon HD 7950 (that top most charts) costs about $150 more.

*** the only thing I would definitely consider changing in the HDD from a 2Tb/3Tb Sata over to a 120Gb SSD (Solid State Drive). If you need the storage you can easily buy portable 2Tb Sata drives for media storage... and then save the 120Gb SSD for your OS install and installing games/apps etc. SSD have lower storage but are faster (they're basically one huge USB stick with no moving parts).

HTH

Yeah the above should be great.. because the GPU is doing most of the work. BTW that GPU = Radeon HD7870 2GB GIGABYTE has now come down to $249 ( http://www.pcdiy.com.au/ad/Pricelist.pdf ).

Of course the performance will be effected by things like your screen/resolution size and type of game you play... but again you can find a thorough review of the 7870 on Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148.html

pages of info there... easiest to use the "benchmark" shortcut links at the start of the article... like:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-9.html

^ here you'll see that when running Crysis 2 (on of the most demanding graphical games on the market) it is often near the top... note: the Radeon HD 7950 (that top most charts) costs about $150 more.

*** the only thing I would definitely consider changing in the HDD from a 2Tb/3Tb Sata over to a 120Gb SSD (Solid State Drive). If you need the storage you can easily buy portable 2Tb Sata drives for media storage... and then save the 120Gb SSD for your OS install and installing games/apps etc. SSD have lower storage but are faster (they're basically one huge USB stick with no moving parts).

HTH
Thanks, I'll have a read later.

Can some explain how to choice a PSU, I'm kind at lost on how to find out what my system needs.

Unless you're running some massive PC and/or SLI or Crossfire something like a 600-700w unit should be fine, just make sure you get a half decent ones as the cheap ones are rubbish. The Corsair HX-650 has probably been the most recommended PSU for the last couple of years, and you can get them for about $150

Unless you're running some massive PC and/or SLI or Crossfire something like a 600-700w unit should be fine, just make sure you get a half decent ones as the cheap ones are rubbish. The Corsair HX-650 has probably been the most recommended PSU for the last couple of years, and you can get them for about $150
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/rkU9 this is about the build I'm looking at I think I'm happy with the motherboard, the memory i think i'll go with the vengeance, I was looking at a case and psu (Hk-650) which would cost a total $260 not too sure if thats over the top or not.

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/rkU9 this is about the build I'm looking at I think I'm happy with the motherboard, the memory i think i'll go with the vengeance, I was looking at a case and psu (Hk-650) which would cost a total $260 not too sure if thats over the top or not.
Mate sign up for a free account at pccasegear.com and use their wishlist tool. $AUD not GBP and based in Mulgrave VIC.
Get the Vengence it will not bottleneck your system but the Dominator is just OTT.
The money save on the ram put towards a 660ti in place of the 660. 95% as good as a reference 670.

For anyone interested, this is the rig I'm building next year, not exactly in the $800-$1000 range but meh...

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=90554&action=wish_lists
** Will probably purchase the just released H100i cooler and AX860i psu when the time comes...

Will probs add a few white braided cables and some led lights at the time of purchase as well as recycling the Turtle Beach headsets with their 7.1 decoder.

Will initially run on my Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 1920 x 1080p 60hz monitor but with one eye on a future possibly to upgrade to an Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440 60hz. Basically this is a rebranded Yamakasi Catsleap (don't laugh!) which is a rebranded LG (again don't laugh!)..

What is special is this monitor has a custom pcb which can be OC'd up to 120hz (120 frames per second), the only 2560 x 1440 on the market that will exceed 60hz. However this may see the need for a second 680 in SLI, damn! ;)

This resolution will let me play BF3 at exactly 4 x more pixels resolution than the current conslol trash I'm on... :thumbsu:

Console 1280 x 704 = 921,600 pixels
PC 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels (expect 65 fps on BF3 ultra 4xAA)
PC 2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400 pixels (expect 55 fps on BF3 ultra AA off)

Overlord 2560 x 1440 OC monitor (LG panel)
http://www.overlordcomputer.com/overlord_tempest_X270OC_pixel_perfect_display_p/ot_x270oc_pp.htm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks.
Just re-read thread and can't believe nobody has asked if you need peripherals or not?

Monitor, speakers, KB, mouse....

Also what type of games? FPShooters, MMO, Sim City 5....?

Just re-read thread and can't believe nobody has asked if you need peripherals or not?

Monitor, speakers, KB, mouse....

Also what type of games? FPShooters, MMO, Sim City 5....?
I should be fine with getting a monitor, speakers, a keyboard and a mouse.

As for games, RPG games like Skyrim, FPS and Sim City.

I should be fine with getting a monitor, speakers, a keyboard and a mouse.

As for games, RPG games like Skyrim, FPS and Sim City.
So you're saying you don't need peripherals included your budget?
Would recommend at least an entry level gaming grade mouse for FPS genre....

I didn't mean that. I'll probably buy an Xbox 360 controller for FPS gaming.
Still not clear on DO need peripherals or DO NOT need.

If its just the case and internals only this is bang for buck:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=117720&action=wish_lists

Summary:
Z77 mATX mobo
i5 3470
8Gb 1333 ram
GTX 660ti
60Gb SSD boot drive
500Gb mechanical storage
Win 7 64bit
Case & 500w psu

The 660ti will give you 40 frames per second on BF3 ultra, 100+ frames on CoD.
The SSD will allow Windows to boot inside 12 seconds, and any installed games wil load 3x faster than a mechanical drive.
500w psu included in case to save money for ssd.

$972.

***Bear in mind I'm a PC noob who hasn't ever built my own rig. There may be conflicts in this setup.

60gb SSD is pointless, may as well spend the extra $50 and get a 120gb Samsung SSD and a 2TB WD/Seagate HDD. Wouldn't bother with extra fans either.

Agree, I was just ticking the cheaper options for nbaman's budget requirements. Best value for money is 120 & 2Tb sizings.

No fans? The case specifies none included, altough I expect this to be a typo and a rear 120 exhaust to be included.

Agree, I was just ticking the cheaper options for nbaman's budget requirements. Best value for money is 120 & 2Tb sizings.

No fans? The case specifies none included, altough I expect this to be a typo and a rear 120 exhaust to be included.

You generally don't need extra fans for standard systems, especially in a half decent case. The PSU has one, and that case comes with one, that should be enough. If you had 4-way SLI and were overclocking the **** off a CPU it would be a different story, but you need some pretty insane heat conditions to worry most systems.

60gb SSD is pointless, may as well spend the extra $50 and get a 120gb Samsung SSD and a 2TB WD/Seagate HDD. Wouldn't bother with extra fans either.

Absolutely no point getting a 60Gb to store your OS and games...
- Windows 7 64 bit needs 20Gb
- BF3 needs 20Gb
- Skyrim and SimCity games aren't too bad at around 6Gb - 10Gb

So yeah... at least get the 120Gb SSD. Ditch the 500Gb HDD for $60... you can easily pickup a 1-2Tb external HDD for under $100 from Officeworks to store your bulk media (movies, music, pawn) and take it from PC to PC.

Absolutely no point getting a 60Gb to store your OS and games...
- Windows 7 64 bit needs 20Gb
- BF3 needs 20Gb
- Skyrim and SimCity games aren't too bad at around 6Gb - 10Gb

So yeah... at least get the 120Gb SSD. Ditch the 500Gb HDD for $60... you can easily pickup a 1-2Tb external HDD for under $100 from Officeworks to store your bulk media (movies, music, pawn) and take it from PC to PC.

You wouldn't use the SSD for most game installs (depending on how many you have of course), put the ones that really need the performance increase on the SSD and the rest on an internal HDD. Don't bother with externals unless you've run out of room in your PC or need the portability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back