Autopsy Garbage vs Hawthorn - Rd 13

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
'that' isn't true.

The ball was barely down there. Hawthorn had complete control of the midfield. We got the occasional slingshot forward, but the rest was under pressure nothing entries.

It wouldn't have mattered who was in our forward line last night, the result would have been the same.
Of course it would have. We lost in every position. Don’t give buddy a free pass. He was unable to bring the ball to ground or impact it when it was in his area. The forward line as with every position from ruck, inside mid, running defender, tall defender and outside mid was smashed. The forward line had chances because we kicked it forwards under pressure and occasionally without pressure. And when we did the ball was turned over and we couldn’t keep it in the area.

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Great to see Horse be less stubborn and creative in the dying minutes of the 4th quarter to move Hewett into the mids

Amartey and McDonald are the only positives to come out of game. Backed up last week and looked like something was going to happen from their touches

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Well there wasn't anybody putting their hand up from the two's apart from maybe Sinclair. They just put in a performance that was equally as lazy and heartless as the seniors did last night. Pathetic.
Why should they put in when form in the 2s is ignored even when there is a spot open? They're better off refining their jokes for coffee with Horse mid-week apparently.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
It doesn't help it was like 5 degrees when the game doesn't finish until 10:30pm. Especially after a long working week I can see why lots of people decided against going.
That timeslot is a family killer. IDK why they can't start at 7.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Personally, I actually think those 3 games are important, not for us, but for the team. When everything clicks we are one of the best in the league.

And guess what, if you make finals, you only have to be the best for 4-5 games and you win.
Richmond have done it perfectly, and although we aren't locks for finals, timing your run is infinitely more important than being the best all year.

Personally, I actually think those 3 games are important, not for us, but for the team. When everything clicks we are one of the best in the league.

And guess what, if you make finals, you only have to be the best for 4-5 games and you win.
Richmond have done it perfectly, and although we aren't locks for finals, timing your run is infinitely more important than being the best all year.

I don't think the first three rounds was us at our best though. Maybe in another dimension where a top four side like Brisbane shits the bed on it's home deck for a half of footy, or a reigning premier shits the bed on it's home deck for a half of footy. Don't forget Brisbane and Richmond who were both finalists playing finals footy in late October last year technically came off the shortest pre-seasons of all time. The more I see of us and the rest of the competition as the season unfolds the more it becomes clear the success of the first three weeks was more circumstantial than anything. I think only three Swans (Buddy, Lloyd and Cunningham) have been better in the last ten weeks than they were in the first three weeks.

Far more impressive to me for example was the win over Geelong, which we only won by 2 points, where the game ebbed and flowed and we really had to change tempos within the match to play mostly gritty, hard-fought footy and then produce some clutch, attacking footy when we needed to. Or the win over Carlton when we took a 3 point lead into 3QT and just put our foot down to take control of the game in the decider to win by 22 points. Neither "looked" as good as the first three rounds, which might as well've counted as pre-season hit outs, or "sounded" as good as 30+ point wins over premiership fancies, but I think they gave us a better idea of what our best footy looks like and how we could win with it in a finals-like match.

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Watched it again

Geez the midfield needs more of everything

Go grab an A grader

even though stephens and blakey are shite we need one of them on the wing opposite to jmac. All the best teams have midfields that dont stop running and do the team thing of going back to support defence. They might butcher it but its better than not getting the ball at all

it was terrible to watch constant outnumbers when our mids were mills, parker jpk and rowy, and they cant follow their opponents

even though stephens and blakey are sh*te we need one of them on the wing opposite to jmac. All the best teams have midfields that dont stop running and do the team thing of going back to support defence. They might butcher it but its better than not getting the ball at all

it was terrible to watch constant outnumbers when our mids were mills, parker jpk and rowy, and they cant follow their opponents
Parker , Kennedy amd mills in the middle together gets burnt on transition amd it’s frustrating to watch

Parker , Kennedy amd mills in the middle together gets burnt on transition amd it’s frustrating to watch

JPK must be carrying an injury. Nowadays he can only jog about looking for the next stoppage. He is simply unable to chase or provide an extra number. Of course he will never be dropped but he must have less tog and NEVER attend a centre bounce with Parker. At the moment the Opposition just laugh and run it out.

Mills is clearly the best we have at the moment but he needs some allies with speed who can chase when the Oppo win possession and attack when we win it. Florent, Warner (when back) and Rowy must spend significantly more time in the rotations.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think the first three rounds was us at our best though. Maybe in another dimension where a top four side like Brisbane shits the bed on it's home deck for a half of footy, or a reigning premier shits the bed on it's home deck for a half of footy. Don't forget Brisbane and Richmond who were both finalists playing finals footy in late October last year technically came off the shortest pre-seasons of all time. The more I see of us and the rest of the competition as the season unfolds the more it becomes clear the success of the first three weeks was more circumstantial than anything. I think only three Swans (Buddy, Lloyd and Cunningham) have been better in the last ten weeks than they were in the first three weeks.

Far more impressive to me for example was the win over Geelong, which we only won by 2 points, where the game ebbed and flowed and we really had to change tempos within the match to play mostly gritty, hard-fought footy and then produce some clutch, attacking footy when we needed to. Or the win over Carlton when we took a 3 point lead into 3QT and just put our foot down to take control of the game in the decider to win by 22 points. Neither "looked" as good as the first three rounds, which might as well've counted as pre-season hit outs, or "sounded" as good as 30+ point wins over premiership fancies, but I think they gave us a better idea of what our best footy looks like and how we could win with it in a finals-like match.
I think, more than games, it's about moments. We showed that if a team lapses we can score really heavily really quickly.
We even showed that in games we've lost. But those games I felt like we we're constantly a threat to score, whereas now we let teams get away with some really stupid stuff.

If we played the Saints in the first 3 rounds I think it would of been a demolishing.

But it's all an opinion, and I do agree with everything else you said.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Its more dishing up that type of performance in a prime time slot is embarassing you would of thought Hawthorn were 6th and we were 17th

Prime time ? Junk time ? Whatever time doesn't matter it comes down to pride in performance, yourself and above all else Your club. It was s**t and if anyone tries to spin it as good teams have off the days then they were watching another game. We are a developing team but at some stage your improvement and development has to to accept that taking the next step and grasping opportunity when it presents is apart of that. Putting in that type of performance shows that this team has not a few steps to go but a country ****ing mile. Nowhere near looking at becoming a good team.

Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
He was the speaker at our club's Presidents Lunch a few years ago and was surprisingly good. Good sense of humour and self-deprecating which surprised me. My impression was that, off the field, he's not a bad bloke. Also played more than 300 games of football so knows the game.
I have absolutely no excuse for last night's game, though.
I've heard him on Whately a few times, not really my idea of good humour but anyway.. Did he mention which team he supports by any chance?

The moment the jig was up with the umpires was when there was a ruck contest in the pocket and the umpire made the call of "no Hawthorn ruck" so we had a ruck contest all to ourselves, and then the umpire threw it in about 10 metres short.

Like come on fellas, you gotta be more subtle than that 😂

Back