Gardening Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember years ago a family in Northcote turned their nature strip into a veggie plot. The council made them put it back to grass, something about people should be able to get out of a parked car parked on the road near the nature strip.
It mainly clearance for doors and being able to see around corners for safety they would get you on

Carpet thyme and oregano at the gutter edge to keep it low and be able to be walked on and go to knee high as you go back to the foot path but leave a path to get to cars.

Ive seen council remove fruit trees in Melbourne on the edge of a freeway where people have thrown the peach pit or the apple core out the window at the lights and its grown ,just as you think there will be fruit there next year its gone

When I was growing up, the dad of one of my mates agitated with council to plant trees all the way down his street

25 years later, the plane tree that council put into the nature strip has completely ruined the house's plumbing and foundations, and the dad is suing council for damages

Looks stunning when its done right
I lived not far from here
iu

Now days they choose the right tree put the root training rings on them and deep water to drive the roots down

Urban poverty can be measured by lack of tree canopies
Temperatures soar in vast open waste lands/treeless suburbs.

With the new housing divisions there isnt enough room for a street tree or a tree in the front or back yards so everyone has their air cons blowing hot air on each others houses to try and cool theirs down
Your seeing people buy up places in the leafy inner east of Melbourne bulldoze the garden and the old house and fill the block with a massive French Chateauxs with a few box hedges and a paved courtyard.

I wanted to plant something else in the planter box, was sick of the parsley sitting there, I don’t use it much really.

Bay leaf tree is starting to come good actually finally. And mint is sh*t and grows like a weed, never again
I once lived near someone who had those old rectangular concrete vegetable beds in their backyard. All were full of mint.

Our council is pretty militant about nature strips - you have to submit a written application before you make any changes to it, and there's a whole host of stuff they won't let you do

If your neighbours complain that you're not maintaining it properly a ranger will swing by and slap you with a fine if it's too unkempt

The hippies a few doors down tried to plant a veggie garden and the council made them rip it up
Are you in a particularly upper class council? That's seriously messed up that neighbours can dob you in.
If there was ever a fine that I'd take to court it'd be that one.
A veggie garden on the nature strip? Interesting idea, I wouldn't have to mow it then.
One of the corner blocks not far from me do a seasonal veggie patch all on the side of their property line. Corn and sunflowers are in at the moment, they had pumpkin and zucchini in there a couple months back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My council allows planter boxes and vege gardens, but there are regulations about how big they can be, setbacks from roads and footpaths etc.

It's a bit of a double edged sword. If you don't have rules and regs people will take the piss. If you go overboard with the level of beige then you end up with gardens being destroyed because the top of someone's broccoli is 376mm from ground level when the maximum allowable is 360mm.

Some bugger has stolen some of my roses, they were just starting to bud again and someone has cut a whole lot of them overnight.
I've had people take cuttings off my Frangipani tree.

campaigners.

So in light of my earlier post this week regarding my whipper snipper, I'm reconsidering an electric replacement. A few of you were talking ryobi. Which model? I was looking at this 36v one today. Any of you have this one? Sounds like it'll do the job.
View attachment 1295690
My ones 18V
Its all about the batteries and what your going to use them for
I have a blower a drill and an air pump for the tyres
I dont know if they make 36 Volts for those ???

I have 2 batteries to do my block with the snipper ,,,probably gives you about an hour ???

My ones 18V
Its all about the batteries and what your going to use them for
I have a blower a drill and an air pump for the tyres
I dont know if they make 36 Volts for those ???

I have 2 batteries to do my block with the snipper ,,,probably gives you about an hour ???
It says on the box in the pic I posted it powers 15+ tools. I'm a choice member and was just looking at their test results and the 18v rates pretty poorly in comparison to the 36v. My petrol stihl rates the highest 🙄. It would be nice to piss the petrol off though. Maybe power lawnmowers will have advanced enough by the time my petrol mower dies.

It says on the box in the pic I posted it powers 15+ tools. I'm a choice member and was just looking at their test results and the 18v rates pretty poorly in comparison to the 36v. My petrol stihl rates the highest 🙄. It would be nice to piss the petrol off though. Maybe power lawnmowers will have advanced enough by the time my petrol mower dies.
are you just doing a little suburban snipping around the edges or serious bush bashing ?
I do my vineyard and fairly serious weeds with my one,on a suburban size block but fairly wild.
Its not manicured lawns
It gets stuck on woody weeds that at are as thick as a pencil so I just hand pull them as I need too

Been working in my backyard this afternoon. 20211211_185308.jpg 20211211_185338.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back