Home & Garden Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Nothing better than spending time in my backyard managing the few things I have. Have built a small area and put fake lawn in, nice shady area under the crab-apple tree to sit and contemplate the world.

I also have onions growing at the moment , and am looking to put some garlic bulbs in.

Was watching community tv and Vasilli came on with this garden in Moreland Vic. The guy has done a fantastic job.

Have you gone this far or are you like me with one or two items and a hope to grow more?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
i have a vege garden, lots of herbs, sweet potato, carrots, tomato, spinach, kale, capsicum, cucumber, zucchini. goes well with the chook pen as well, the garden loves the chook poo. lot more work than you think originally.

i made the beginners mistake of going too big too early (8 beds approx 5 sqm each), i am cutting it back to probably 4 beds.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
i have a vege garden, lots of herbs, sweet potato, carrots, tomato, spinach, kale, capsicum, cucumber, zucchini. goes well with the chook pen as well, the garden loves the chook poo. lot more work than you think originally.

i made the beginners mistake of going too big too early (8 beds approx 5 sqm each), i am cutting it back to probably 4 beds.
I have had tomatos and beets and spring onions before. Changed it and redesigned to make my relax place. Had potato tyres as well

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Millions of peaches..peaches for me.... Millions of peaches..peaches for free :D

Fill your gardens with fruit trees and veggies. The stuff from the shops doesn't come close to homegrown. Yeah there's some work involved, but for me it's defo worth it. There's plenty of helpful videos on youtube, too.

Most people are generally very wasteful with their garden space.

For me to keep a tree that doesn't produce food I've got to really really love it.

A few flowering natives are good, too, if u like birds.

I try and attend board meetings by phone, and garden whilst listening. far more relaxing and far easier to listen for long periods than sitting still at a table.

oh and for the record......mainly herbs

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I try and attend board meetings by phone, and garden whilst listening. far more relaxing and far easier to listen for long periods than sitting still at a table.

oh and for the record......mainly herbs
You should have plenty of Thyme to give Sage advice while in your herbarium

I will be organizing one later this year.

Pawel

Senior List
Mar 25, 2013
NSW
AFL Club
Geelong
IMG_5647.JPG
IMG_5735.JPG
IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG
IMG_5714.JPG
IMG_5716.JPG
IMG_5650.JPG
IMG_5648.JPG
IMG_5570.JPG
IMG_5507.JPG

My beautiful veggies

Attachments

• IMG_5735.JPG
    IMG_5735.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 92

flashmanvc

All Australian
Jun 7, 2010
Maffra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dug some trenches for wicking garden beds today. Anyone used the wicking bed technique? Wondering what size I should make the reservoir so the soil stays moist if I head off over summer for a couple of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I have a huge yard but I've been so busy renovating my house the last couple of years it's largely gone neglected. Getting close to finishing my house so will start on the garden.

Apr 10, 2015
Dirty white van
AFL Club
Essendon
My gardening skills are meh considering my dad was an avid gardener before doing FI/FO work. I never picked up that trait and with work being so full on, I rather want to spend time with my kids on my 2 days offa week.

Today we got a gardener to trim the bushes and trees down, add more mulch, mow, whipper snip, feed the lawn.

He was amazing considering my skills are rubbish, its no mean feat.

I feel guilty because every bloke should be able to garden considering its not that hard to mow and whipper snip.

Wife decided to keephim on for $55 a month to mow and trim the fenceline and footpaths while I focus on the garden beds and plants.

About 2week ago I seen ad on FB roses 10 bucks each I went to the house I had to dig the things out fuuuuu.
After the 3rd one the guy said you can have the other 3 if you want lol I was stuffed after the 3rd one.

I put the kents in 2 are going well enough.
One needs work I hope it lives.

Now that I'm out of apartment living and have a house with a backyard I've been spending a bit of time in the garden. It's a decent size but had been fairly neglected so the first few months have been simply getting it back to a good base. Lots of cutting and clearing. There's no grass which I'm happy about :) Still, lots of weeding required.

Now that I'm out of apartment living and have a house with a backyard I've been spending a bit of time in the garden. It's a decent size but had been fairly neglected so the first few months have been simply getting it back to a good base. Lots of cutting and clearing. There's no grass which I'm happy about :) Still, lots of weeding required.
What you going to put their? Seed Or rolled turf.

What you going to put their? Seed Or rolled turf.
Backyard is a filled in swimming pool. Plus only renting so won't be laying anything. Just saying I'm happy there's no mowing required :)

Will eventually plant stuff in the beds though, probably get a small vegie garden going.

Maybe not gardening, but I grow carnivorous plans. It's so calming to watch them grow each day, water them, trim them, photograph them, repot them, etc.

Back