Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I'm thinking of getting some palms for the back yard.

Prob get a few of them as they look better with friends.
Self cleaners are best
when the frond drops off you get a clean green head not a skirt of dead fronds hanging there for years

you will need a mulcher too eventually
I got the ozito one it does big fat foxtail fronds if you cut them a bit first

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I want to plant some flowers in a garden bed I've just mulched. Probably not something I'll keep around, I've done edible flowers and tall sunflowers before. Any ideas? Would love something native, just as long as I won't have to get an excavator to dig it out.
Do some herbs
they cost a fortune and usually compost in the fridge before you use them

Natives you could go paper daisy,do a mass planting or if you have the right conditions native mint or violets (moist shade)or pig face or Easter daisy.

Self cleaners are best
when the frond drops off you get a clean green head not a skirt of dead fronds hanging there for years

you will need a mulcher too eventually
I got the ozito one it does big fat foxtail fronds if you cut them a bit first

Been told today coco palms grows well in my area.

Might go to place tomorrow who sell big ones .

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nice bump!

I'd love to know whether it's "a thing" that home gardeners with limited space look at long range forecasts before deciding what to plant.

I pack quite a bit into my limited space, but because it hasn't been that hot in Melbourne this summer I can't grow a cucumber or a carrot for love or money. On the other end of the spectrum, my strawberries, blueberries and chillis are going ape-s**t cos we've had some pretty consistent rain that they love.

Would planting according to long range forecasts be considered a bit OTT?
It is a great idea , knowing what the ENSO is doing for the near future is very smart.
planting trees during la nina has been a blessing in my area with a low rainfall, the success rate much higher, due to cooler weather and more rainfall.
El nino will be a lot harder to establish trees for example....

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am not a gardener at all, hence why I'm here.

I have five well established mop top trees in my backyard. The kid who has been mowing my lawns for about three years likes to dump the grass clippings around the bottom of the tree trunk. I've just been told that this can kill trees, so have removed the clippings.

Does anybody know how long it might take to kill a tree this way and whether this type of tree would be likely to be affected?

Cheers.
I put lawn clippings around my native trees and they never died from it. lawn clippings are good mulch and provide nitrogen. never throw out your lawn clips, lawn is great in the compost , you can mix it in to make hot compost.
lawn provides nitrogen that helps break down compostings

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

I made a few succulent arrangement yesterday I didn't over crowd them so they can grow a bit.
Mrs said one of them looked good and said we witch means me lol ☆ should make one for her dad for his birthday in a few weeks .
Contacted a lady up the road got some more plants for it...and some for me as well..lol.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I made a few succulent arrangement yesterday I didn't over crowd them so they can grow a bit.
Mrs said one of them looked good and said we witch means me lol ☆ should make one for her dad for his birthday in a few weeks .
Contacted a lady up the road got some more plants for it...and some for me as well..lol.
Succulents and Cacti can have some wicked flowers too.
IMG_20230409_104752.jpg

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Mitre 10 had heaps of marked down plants ..
I think I brought most of them ..well all the cheap ones .

Last year I got a couple of pots of coriander from Bunnings that had been marked down to $1 each. They were just a bit root bound but once they were in the ground they thrived. They went to seed quite quickly though. I collected about 50 seeds and dried them out. From those seeds I've got a heap of coriander growing now.

Back