Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

garden3.jpg

This is a veggie patch at the end of the grassed area. it gets a little bit neglected but still had some awesome snow peas, radishes, beetroots and broccoli. There's now some iceberg lettuces coming on and tomatoes - leeks, thyme and basil

garden4.jpg

This is my first attempt at container growing potatoes. I have Dutch Cream, kiflers, rodeos, blue ones, red ones, Delaware and ones I've forgotten!

this is the only bit of grass in the back garden - not really ideal for chickens :)

Chickens would love eating all your other stuff though.

I used to let mine roam free but they stripped every plant in the backyard to stalks like some kind of cartoon piranhas. They also enjoyed pecking at my leg hairs if I was standing around. Mostly I got sick of the chicken s**t all over the patio though.

A mate gave me a bunch of old pool fencing so I've made a nice little permanent run down the side of the house for them now.

I used to let mine roam free but they stripped every plant in the backyard to stalks like some kind of cartoon piranhas. They also enjoyed pecking at my leg hairs if I was standing around. Mostly I got sick of the chicken s**t all over the patio though.

A mate gave me a bunch of old pool fencing so I've made a nice little permanent run down the side of the house for them now.

or they would fall in to the pool! good for snails etc I guess?

Yeah they will destroy something like a veggie patch in literally 10 minutes.

View attachment 181897

This is a veggie patch at the end of the grassed area. it gets a little bit neglected but still had some awesome snow peas, radishes, beetroots and broccoli. There's now some iceberg lettuces coming on and tomatoes - leeks, thyme and basil
I want something like that but larger although those things are too expensive for what they are for mine, need a bunch of big wooden sleepers or something. Don't think the local two dogs hardware has them and I can't exactly lug them back from Bunnings in Perf on the back of the Corolla. Might see if they can order some in ask around if anybody has some from the old railway line sleepers.

I want something like that but larger although those things are too expensive for what they are for mine, need a bunch of big wooden sleepers or something. Don't think the local two dogs hardware has them and I can't exactly lug them back from Bunnings in Perf on the back of the Corolla. Might see if they can order some in ask around if anybody has some from the old railway line sleepers.

I imagine you have a pretty big property. That thing wasn't only $$$ it cost a lot to fill! we ended up putting hay in the bottom and then layered it with composts, manures etc You can see it is starting to sink (the hay) but then we have the opportunity to load it up a bit more with manures etc

I imagine you have a pretty big property. That thing wasn't only $$$ it cost a lot to fill! we ended up putting hay in the bottom and then layered it with composts, manures etc You can see it is starting to sink (the hay) but then we have the opportunity to load it up a bit more with manures etc
Nah just your standard country 1/4 acre block, still a fair bit bigger than a Perth yard though. I'd just mainly fill it up with topsoil, chook manure, compost and buy some bags of more stuff to improve it further. Just makes it easier when is raised and contained. Other option is to get a heap of cement bricks, did that before but ended up making a mini retaining type wall across the front yard with them instead. Actually scratch that, bricks are waaay too much work to do it at least properly and neatly just for a vegge patch.. Wood is the answer!

I've hacked an old water tank into 3 garden bed retainers before.Might be an oldie at the tip they normally rot out at the bottom so are fine.
Or just corrugated sheets with poles/posts;pretty cheap way to get the structure.

I've hacked an old water tank into 3 garden bed retainers before.Might be an oldie at the tip they normally rot out at the bottom so are fine.
Or just corrugated sheets with poles/posts;pretty cheap way to get the structure.
I've actually got one of those old tanks sitting in the backyard atm and thought about it, would have to borrow an angle grinder off someone though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It ain't hard to do;I've got a 6 pack of grinders and other more serious water tank chopping gadgets.Happy to bring one to a home game against the Hawks with Mitchell playing or Roos with the scumsucking dwarf.

Some of you may remember my veggie patch attempts last year that due to poor soil condition failed miserably and ended with me pulling out the struggling plants and mulching them.

Anyway, this year I added another 700 litres of compost and soil improved and added two packets of soil bacteria to help things along... also the compost from scraps and chicken coop hay.

So far its looking promising. These are from Saturday morning.

gard.jpg

tomatoes.jpg

epc.jpg

What is that Lach ? My eggplants are at about the same stage as the pic.

Dipel is a natural spray for caterpillars. It contains a bacteria that is lethal for caterpillars, but completely harmless to humans, bacillus thuringiensis.

My dad loses most of his eggplant just up the road from you
You need to do it early and reasonable regularly, as the moth hits the fruit just as its forming from the flower and barely showing in the calyx. You won't know they're there until the larvae erupts from the fruit or you see rots appear
Eggplant are very susceptible to this and you'll emd up with a s**t load of fruit that looks like this:

Does anyone else find when they grow beetroot from seeds often when they get to around 2cm high they sort of wilt right at the base and fall over? If they get past this point though they seem to grow very well though. Maybe I need to plant the seeds deeper or something..

Last edited:
Googling it says it can be wind, or they are too far away from a light source so they are growing out too much so they can't support themselves and bend. I think it might be the 2nd because I generally grow them in semi shade, problem is it gets too bloody hot out here to have them in full sun.

Does anyone else find when they grow beetroot from seeds often when they get to around 2cm high they sort of wilt right at the base and fall over? If they get past this point though they seem to grow very well though. Maybe I need to plant the seeds deeper or something..

I cheat and use seedlings

I cheat and use seedlings
I use those as well but I want to grow different types, they only have the one in seedling in the shop here.

It was a few years ago but almost 100% sure I didn't have the same problem with baby beets for some reason, might get some of those as well anyway. Love beets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back