Strategy Garland, a move up forward awaits thee....

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me start by saying this could only work if TMac is fit and playing at fully capacity, but with Georgiou playing down back as the third tall/flexi defender could Garlo provide us some respite up forward (when he comes back) as he has done on occasions when we have needed goals in the past?

Given Hogan, Dawes (Nick Smith's long lost brother 4-6) and Clark could all be out for a while yet and the lack of pre-season Garland has had this year, i think the move has merit at least until he gets some game time/fitness back or Georgiou gives Roos a reason to drop him.

Thoughts y'all?

Last edited:
I've been thinking this myself if Georgiou can hold his on down back i think Garland should pla forward until Dawes and Hogan comeback

Good call. I think Col up forward works and won't be robbing our back line too much with Georgiou playing a similar role that Garland would down back.

Let me start by saying this could only work if TMac is fit and playing at fully capacity, but with Georgiou playing down back as the third tall/flexi defender could Garlo provide us some respite up forward (when he comes back) as he has done on occasions when we have needed goals in the past?

Given Hogan, Dawes (Nick Smith's long lost brother 4-6) and Clark could all be out for a while yet and the lack of pre-season Garland has had this year, i think the move has merit at least until he gets some game time/fitness back or Georgiou gives Roos a reason to drop him.

Thoughts y'all?

I think it comes down to Lynden Dunn and Colin Garland and which one you prefer forward/back

Dunn has had more AFL experience up forward but despite popular opinion I also think he is our best Kick/Decision maker out of the back half

Georgiou is almost and exact replica of Garland in many ways so yeah I think Garland forward is our best bet

Not a bad idea at all... And in a pinch he could go back down there as a loose man.
Maybe a Georgiou, Frawley, Dunn back line, with Dawes, Hogan and Garland up front (assuming Clarke is still out when those three are fit)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm lovin' the thoughts On Georgy guys. Really feels like as a supporter base, we've really accepted him into the fold. I do not get the same feeling regarding Byrnes. (Just for a comparison).

I'd keep him down back personally as he's just about our best defender. Neeld did this already in 2012 with Garland and Rivers which didn't really solve anything. I can see the logic to it but I think we need to settle players into the new game plan in their proper positions and take the hit up forward until we get some personnel back.

I don't think we'll be turning down tall defenders against West Coast with their forwardline.

Didn't Tom MacDonald start life as a tall forward and train with the forwards for both pre-seasons under Neeld? If we're going to throw defenders up forward he wouldn't be the worst option either.

I don't think we'll be turning down tall defenders against West Coast with their forwardline.

Didn't Tom MacDonald start life as a tall forward and train with the forwards for both pre-seasons under Neeld? If we're going to throw defenders up forward he wouldn't be the worst option either.

Win the game or limit the damage....we wont win games with a Pedo/Fitzy/Gawn forward line, something needs to be change for mine. Not that i think Garlo will make a huge difference to our chances against the better teams, but he's an upgrade on our three current options.

Personally prefer TMac back, we dont have a tall back who can run like he does, we saw first hand how valuable he was on the weekend when Riewoldt dominated once he was taken off him because he couldnt run. Think the backline held together pretty well without Garlo on the weekend, even with TMac on one leg for the majority of it.

I think it comes down to Lynden Dunn and Colin Garland and which one you prefer forward/back

Dunn has had more AFL experience up forward but despite popular opinion I also think he is our best Kick/Decision maker out of the back half

Georgiou is almost and exact replica of Garland in many ways so yeah I think Garland forward is our best bet

Agree entirely regarding Dunn, think he is a weapon we cant afford to lose down back in regards to his kicking length. I also think Garland is a better overhead mark than Dunn therefor a better forward target.

Somehow I have nightmares thinking about Tmac lining up a set shot from directly in front 15m out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good suggestion. Im sure Roos would have thrown him forward in the second half if he was playing last week.

All of Fitz, TMac and Gawn are likely to be available before Garland comes back so I reckon we will run with those guys for the main.

Rotating Garland forward is worthy of consideration if we have another situation like last week though (although it will be interesting to see if Georgiou gets a run when Garland comes back).

The club really needs to work on developing Tappy or Strauss, we really need another attacking option out of defence especially with the way the game is played now, Georgiou is a good defender but we need one of the mentioned to help with a release kick to help speed up the rebound

We looked our most dangerous coming from defence when Dunn hit his 55m switch kicks diagonally across half back but teams will tag him soon enough.

Strauss isnt good enough defensively so maybe Tappy?

I like the thought but Garland was just SO GOOD down back last season, I want to see him back there, settled asap.

Also, Fitzpatrick - if fit - will be able to provide a target for the whole game, and I really doubt Howe will have another game as quiet as he was against the Saints.

Hate to say it but I've made my mind up on Tappy and Strauss: lost causes both.

I hope not, we desperately need to get something out of atleast one of Blease , Strauss or Tappy
I guess we need to see what a year of working with George stone can do with the midfielders

Would rather Dunn up forward than Garland.

Dunns our best kick in defence however, If you take him out then we really have no one

I hope not, we desperately need to get something out of atleast one of Blease , Strauss or Tappy
I guess we need to see what a year of working with George stone can do with the midfielders

I think so. However, if they're not regulars in the side by season's end, they're probably goners. Make or break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back