Strategy Garland, a move up forward awaits thee....

Remove this Banner Ad

I think so. However, if they're not regulars in the side by season's end, they're probably goners. Make or break.

It would be interesting if we cleared them out to see what Taylor and Roos could do with a bunch of picks between 20-50

Might be able to pick up some good talent again from GWS/GC dirt cheap, alternatively im sure there will be some other Michie/Vince/Tysons around the league that Roosy will target

Garland was set to play in the VFL but Casey has no game on, which means he's unlikely to return this week. Still, at least he's over his injury now:

"Ideally Colin was at the stage where he was ready to play a game but we've known for a long time that the VFL fixture starts at the AFL's round three," Demons football manager Josh Mahoney told AFL.com.au.

"So we'll do as much as we can within training and match simulation and he'll be ready to play a game the week after."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-26/garland-ready-but-cant-play

I'm lovin' the thoughts On Georgy guys. Really feels like as a supporter base, we've really accepted him into the fold. I do not get the same feeling regarding Byrnes. (Just for a comparison).
Probably because Byrnes is sh*t.

Georgiou was our best defender on the weekend I thought. Very impressive debut.

Byrnes isn't s**t, but he's certainly not living up to the expectations, or his 30 goal a season call that he made when drafted.

I feel like it's almost as if he has come on board to earn a wage whilst he runs out the last few years of professional football.

I don't think we'll be turning down tall defenders against West Coast with their forwardline.

Didn't Tom MacDonald start life as a tall forward and train with the forwards for both pre-seasons under Neeld? If we're going to throw defenders up forward he wouldn't be the worst option either.

Yes please! Would love to see Tmac up forward to see if he can do anything.

Byrnes isn't s**t, but he's certainly not living up to the expectations, or his 30 goal a season call that he made when drafted.

I feel like it's almost as if he has come on board to earn a wage whilst he runs out the last few years of professional football.
We'll have to agree to disagree :p

Booooo-urns, Tappy and Strauss......throw them all on the MFC scrap heap.

Tappy could (maybe) provide something if he ever got fit enough with his hardness, but injuries seem to be a commonly recurring theme (think this has also effected his kicking depth). At the moment he is just too slow, lacks the kicking penetration he once had and doesnt have the endurance necessary to be an effective player at AFL level.

I think it comes down to Lynden Dunn and Colin Garland and which one you prefer forward/back

Dunn has had more AFL experience up forward but despite popular opinion I also think he is our best Kick/Decision maker out of the back half

Georgiou is almost and exact replica of Garland in many ways so yeah I think Garland forward is our best bet

I question that, but he's probably our best one on one defender - he lost the least % of 1v1's in the league last year.

I question that, but he's probably our best one on one defender - he lost the least % of 1v1's in the league last year.

Remarkably overlooked fact about Dunn that one

Yeah but whos honestly better than him mate? I Dont think Garland/Frawley/Grimes are any better than him

Remarkably overlooked fact about Dunn that one

Yeah but whos honestly better than him mate? I Dont think Garland/Frawley/Grimes are any better than him
Please. Frawley and Garland remain far superior defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with Georgiou, when we first drafted him i thought he was a dud and would never play but he just looks comfortable/composed at AFL.

Dunn is becoming our quarter back, a bloke who can kick the ball flat 60-65m with our new game plan is a must.

I suggested to my mate before the saints game if we are struggling we should throw Frawley forward, but with Fitzy and Tommy Mac getting injured that was no option.

But i would like to Garland go forward as a short term fix. As for watts as much as id love to see him go forward we need him to settle in a position and gain more confidence at AFL level. Garland is already at the level, throwing him forward for 6 weeks and then back again won't tempt his form or confidence.

Think if we are to beat GWS our Backline/Forward line has to be:
1st Defender: Frawley
2nd: T-Mac
3rd/4th talls: Grimes/Georgiou
Rebounders: Dunn/Terlich

1st Forward: Garland
2nd Forward Watts
3rd Howe
Smalls: Brynes/Blease/JKH

I think you drop both Fitzy and Pedo. You add Jamar into the ruck with Spencer to even the load.

So the team looks like:
Grimes Frawley Dunn
Terlich T-Mac Georgiou
Vince Tyson Jones
Howe Watts Toumpas
Brynes Garland JKH

Jamar Cross N.Jones

I/C Trengove Michie Bail/Nicholson Sub Blease'

Other alternative is Dunn plays forward instead of Garland, or they both play forward and one of Nicholson or Tapscott comes in.

Think if we are to beat GWS our Backline/Forward line has to be:
1st Defender: Frawley
2nd: T-Mac
3rd/4th talls: Grimes/Georgiou
Rebounders: Dunn/Terlich

1st Forward: Garland
2nd Forward Watts
3rd Howe
Smalls: Brynes/Blease/JKH

I think you drop both Fitzy and Pedo. You add Jamar into the ruck with Spencer to even the load.

So the team looks like:
Grimes Frawley Dunn
Terlich T-Mac Georgiou
Vince Tyson Jones
Howe Watts Toumpas
Brynes Garland JKH

Jamar Cross N.Jones

I/C Trengove Michie Bail/Nicholson Sub Blease'

Other alternative is Dunn plays forward instead of Garland, or they both play forward and one of Nicholson or Tapscott comes in.

I completely agree with Garland playing forward but there's no way Jamar will play. That means we give Fitz another chance, or Pedo. I see some sort of future with Fitz, but Pedo has at least battled pretty hard the past two weeks, so that may save him.

You need to take one or two of the big guys aside early this week and spend time every day, every day, bombing the ball in in thier head while they're double teamed, with a couple of smalls at feet.

Get em in the mindset of body work, reading ball drop, and either marking or bringing ball to ground in a favorable spot for the small(s)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back