Prediction Garland and Dunn

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Dunny still has a lot to offer i nterms of leadership, and also as a lock-down defender, though I don't know what's going on with him this year.

I've got grave concerns about Garland though. Not big enough to lock down a big forward and I can see him struggling with our fast transition game - he's not really a great kick. He needs to really get himself together and present himself a better intercept marking rebounder to be a part of our future plans.

Yes.

I still think OMac is yet to prove himself capable of holding down a key post and we have no real back up if TMac goes down. Roos is reluctant to play Frost down there, and who else do we have?? Unless we can miraculously snare someone like Hurley in the off season, I would say both will still be required players in 2017. However, If Frost starts to play back and OMac improves, then both won't be on the list post next season IMO..

Both probably remain ahead of Oscar McDonald for this year and probably Frost as well - who might always be a swingman.

Dunn's about to turn 29 and is contracted for next year, which might see him out at age 30. But he's still pretty reliable one on one against the right match up and a nice kick. I think he deserves some benefit of the doubt to get some form and fitness in the new defensive system. Since the Neeld days the game plan has been to defend with numbers back clogging up space and to try and close the game down. Now we are asking defenders to come up to the ball and take risks playing away from their opponents, that's a big change.

The same goes for Garland, who's 28, adapting to the new defensive system that should actually suit his game more - reading the play, defending space, attacking the ball in the air and up the ground. He's got 2 years left after this one and I guess we will see how that goes.

Good talls are hard to find, even as depth and Dunn can pinch hit forward as well.

If Oscar McDonald goes past these guys and Wagner/Lumumba can hold down the 3rd tall role it's not necessarily a bad thing!

Some people see it as counter productive to building a team but I don't mind the idea of the likes of Garland, Grimes, Dawes, Dunn all being at Casey as long as they aren't sulking.

I think Dunny still has a lot to offer i nterms of leadership, and also as a lock-down defender, though I don't know what's going on with him this year.

I've got grave concerns about Garland though. Not big enough to lock down a big forward and I can see him struggling with our fast transition game - he's not really a great kick. He needs to really get himself together and present himself a better intercept marking rebounder to be a part of our future plans.
I really think Garland would do better in Tom McDonald's role as the up the ground defender, but given that's where Tom's best suited they aren't going to move him.

For now the 2 of them will compete for the full back spot and at least that competition for the spot should mean improved performance for at least one of them. If not we can just rotate them through based on match up.

Both probably remain ahead of Oscar McDonald for this year and probably Frost as well - who might always be a swingman.

Dunn's about to turn 29 and is contracted for next year, which might see him out at age 30. But he's still pretty reliable one on one against the right match up and a nice kick. I think he deserves some benefit of the doubt to get some form and fitness in the new defensive system. Since the Neeld days the game plan has been to defend with numbers back clogging up space and to try and close the game down. Now we are asking defenders to come up to the ball and take risks playing away from their opponents, that's a big change.

The same goes for Garland, who's 28, adapting to the new defensive system that should actually suit his game more - reading the play, defending space, attacking the ball in the air and up the ground. He's got 2 years left after this one and I guess we will see how that goes.

Good talls are hard to find, even as depth and Dunn can pinch hit forward as well.

If Oscar McDonald goes past these guys and Wagner/Lumumba can hold down the 3rd tall role it's not necessarily a bad thing!

Some people see it as counter productive to building a team but I don't mind the idea of the likes of Garland, Grimes, Dawes, Dunn all being at Casey as long as they aren't sulking.

Yep and nobody (including the football club) seems to realise that Garland was an extremely good forward as a junior. Erks me that we have never used him after watching him play there at school and then at senior level in Tasmania and dominating. Is a good lead-up mark and a beautiful set shot.

Edit: Garland had 20 touches, 11 marks and 2 goals in this game.

Last edited:
Yep and nobody (including the football club) seems to realise that Garland was an extremely good forward as a junior. Erks me that we have never used him after watching him play there at school and then at senior level in Tasmania and dominating. Is a good lead-up mark and a beautiful set shot.

Edit: Garland had 20 touches, 11 marks and 2 goals in this game.

From memory we tried him and Rivers up forward for the next several weeks, and he did SFA. I think if Watts went down, then the Garland in the F50 option might be possible, but I still can't see it ever happening again..

I reckon Dunny's been very stiff this year, as was Col.

Yes, there is making players earn a game, but there is also rewarding loyalty & particularly in Col's case he turned down rival advances to stay and try and win a premiership at the Dees.

In his current form, Garland won't be helping us win much. Sad really because he was a shining light in 13/14. I really hope he regains that form because him with Tmac would be a very hard duo to best.

Similarly, I believe Dunn is still our most damaging kick out of the backline but his decision making has gotten worse this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garland literally just signed a three year deal. They don't hand those out for nothing these days. He's not going anywhere, even though he should be performing better.

Garland and Dunn certainly still have a role to play over the next 18 months, especially with the inexperience of our backline. But by the end of next year I can see them being phased out in favour of some combination of Frost, Wagner and OMac.

Tmac plays a lot better with Dunn.

Garland gets nervous and you can tell that he is mumbling, don't stuff this up, don't stuff this up.

Garland plays with zero confidence and teammates feel it

Tmac plays a lot better with Dunn.

Garland gets nervous and you can tell that he is mumbling, don't stuff this up, don't stuff this up.

Garland plays with zero confidence and teammates feel it
Probably a fair assessment. Played with a lot more confidence in a side that had none, got plenty of touches in a side that never went forward.

I think Garland compared to his blinder 2013 is afraid of being accountable. 2013 it was see ball get ball, take the game on. Even then probably not best 1 on 1 back then either. Garland is a very offensive player, but now seeing him play in a structured back line he looks out of place. 2013 was nothing, didn't matter if his opponent kicked goals on him, but now that it does it makes him accountable to the side, and he is very much a man who looks afraid to back himself in at the risk of letting the team down, which doesn't help anyway. It's easy to play as an individual but it's harder to play in a team

Probably a fair assessment. Played with a lot more confidence in a side that had none, got plenty of touches in a side that never went forward.

I think Garland compared to his blinder 2013 is afraid of being accountable. 2013 it was see ball get ball, take the game on. Even then probably not best 1 on 1 back then either. Garland is a very offensive player, but now seeing him play in a structured back line he looks out of place. 2013 was nothing, didn't matter if his opponent kicked goals on him, but now that it does it makes him accountable to the side, and he is very much a man who looks afraid to back himself in at the risk of letting the team down, which doesn't help anyway. It's easy to play as an individual but it's harder to play in a team

He's certainly considered an offensive player on this board at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back