Garland....

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with theboss - I am not saying he wants to leave - not saying we should trade him

But if the right offer came along you'd hope the MFC conssidered it

I agree with theboss - I am not saying he wants to leave - not saying we should trade him

But if the right offer came along you'd hope the MFC conssidered it

I think Garland is a casualty of the injuries we suffered this year and how easily went from back to forward to back to forward...

Give him a whole season in one position and he'll flourish again, he is too good of a player no to.

In any line of work, there is a standard that is seen as acceptable. If an employee falls below that, they are held accountable, meaning there are consequences for their actions. If I order a steak and it's overcooked, would my complaint to the manager be met with "oh well, you don't have to eat it if you don't like it"? No, the chef would be held accountable for his mistake.

Journalists are paid to produce high quality, informative and accurate pieces, but these days are getting away with literally writing fiction. Once it is clear that their claims are false, there should be consequences for their mistakes, i.e. pay cut, sacked, burned alive etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you. You keep acting like I'm saying that they shouldn't be held accountable.

My question is: HOW do you hold PUBLICATIONS and/or journalists accountable without compromising free speech, intimidating?

Also, the articles are never stated as fact. They are rumour and conjecture. There is no obligation for accountability.

Saying "Colan Garland has attracted interest from other clubs" doesn't affect anyone, it doesn't hurt anyones standing, and it doesn't compromise Colin's capacity to earn.

Exactly right. And of course, this journalistic dishonesty extends well beyond football as well.

What we need are Canadian-style "truth and accuracy" laws, to ensure ethical conduct and guarantee that proper standards are upheld.

Canada is currently 10th on the freedom of the press index. Australia is well below that.

The problem is high concentration. The left want accountability because they want to stifle conservative commentary and sensationalist, tabloid journalism. Bob Brown was quite hostile towards the free press. Whether it is commercially compromised or not is irrelevant: it represents free enterprise and the capacity to speak freely, a freedom we all have.

Because of this, the left are also (more) hostile to the idea of government incentive for business, and would rather see this money go to welfare programs. They call for accountability, but never really give any constructive alternatives as to how said accountability should be enforced.

Did you read the media inquiry report by the Finklestein? His recommendations as to new media were grossly inadequate. He also recommended ENFORCED self-regulation, as major outlets like the Herald Sun aren't prepared to contribute extra funding to journalist standards.

And I quote the Herald Sun:

"A newspaper such as ours with a readership such as ours has the freedom to shape content relative to its readership". The Herald Sun is well within its right to say and write whatever it wants. Its readers are obliged to hold it accountable. Not the government.

The only way to fix the lack of accountability is to enhance competition: provide incentive for journalists, bloggers, you and I, to start our own publications. You know so much about business: competition is a good thing, right? What's stopping me from using one service over another? A better product that better meets my needs and wants.

The Herald Sun is a tabloid publication that sells papers based on sensationalism and the rumourmill. Unless it's hurting someone's ability to respond, or earn, or maintain a certain reputation, what exactly should it be held accountable for? For saying that, maybe possibily, a player MAY be up for trade at seasons end? The Herald Sun contributes free, open debate and discussion. You don't have to read it.

I'm not disagreeing with you. You keep acting like I'm saying that they shouldn't be held accountable.

My question is: HOW do you hold PUBLICATIONS and/or journalists accountable without compromising free speech, intimidating?

Also, the articles are never stated as fact. They are rumour and conjecture. There is no obligation for accountability.

Saying "Colan Garland has attracted interest from other clubs" doesn't affect anyone, it doesn't hurt anyones standing, and it doesn't compromise Colin's capacity to earn.

Canada is currently 10th on the freedom of the press index. Australia is well below that.

The problem is high concentration. The left want accountability because they want to stifle conservative commentary and sensationalist, tabloid journalism. Bob Brown was quite hostile towards the free press. Whether it is commercially compromised or not is irrelevant: it represents free enterprise and the capacity to speak freely, a freedom we all have.

Because of this, the left are also (more) hostile to the idea of government incentive for business, and would rather see this money go to welfare programs. They call for accountability, but never really give any constructive alternatives as to how said accountability should be enforced.

Did you read the media inquiry report by the Finklestein? His recommendations as to new media were grossly inadequate. He also recommended ENFORCED self-regulation, as major outlets like the Herald Sun aren't prepared to contribute extra funding to journalist standards.

"A newspaper such as ours with a readership such as ours has the freedom to shape content relative to its readership". The Herald Sun is well within its right to say and write whatever it wants. Its readers are obliged to hold it accountable. Not the government.

The only way to fix the lack of accountability is to enhance competition: provide incentive for journalists, bloggers, you and I, to start our own publications. You know so much about business: competition is a good thing, right? What's stopping me from using one service over another? A better product that better meets my needs and wants.

The Herald Sun is a tabloid publication that sells papers based on sensationalism and the rumourmill. Unless it's hurting someone's ability to respond, or earn, or maintain a certain reputation, what exactly should it be held accountable for? For saying that, maybe possibily, a player MAY be up for trade at seasons end? The Herald Sun contributes free, open debate and discussion. You don't have to read it.

Cudi, with the image you inserted and the tone of your response, are you surprised people are having a dip?

I hope Garland plays his whole career at Melbourne, I think he is a really valuable player, and does a lot of stuff off the ball that often goes unnoticed. Wait, is Garland still what this thread is about?

I hope Garland plays his whole career at Melbourne, I think he is a really valuable player, and does a lot of stuff off the ball that often goes unnoticed. Wait, is Garland still what this thread is about?

Probably not anymore

I think he's valuable, especially if Riv leaves

No.

I hope Rivers doesn't leave. He and Garland are still required. Rivers performance all year in a new role is enough to earn him a place next year imo.

I don't think anyone doubts he has earned his place. Would be devastated to see River's leave.

Can't imagine Garland would have much currency and we would be better off keeping him, is in our leadership group so must be rated highly.

The media are such jokes, they just about scrape the bottom of the barrel for a story. Just like how they reported 'AFL star walks out on Melbourne' when infact it was just Kelvin Lawrence, who hadn't even played a game and was only on the rookie list anyway.

And according to the HUN apparently we've been in advanced talks with Shannon Byrnes despite him denying any contact had been made, and have already signed Angus Monfries on a four year deal despite the fact that free agency month hasn't even opened yet :rolleyes:

You speak as though politics were football and "the left" were Collingwood :eek:

The problem is high concentration.

Yep, and there's only one party calling for a ban on foreign ownership and limits on the size of domestic ownership - in fact, only one party seeking ownership limits at all. Hint - it's not the Liberals - or the ALP!

they want to stifle conservative commentary and sensationalist, tabloid journalism.

No, "they", or should I say, I want truth and accuracy in journalism. And for there to be some sort of difference, delineation between news and opinion.

Bob Brown was quite hostile towards the free press.

Not true. It's those who oppose media diversity who are "hostile towards the free press".

And if you think a "free press" should have the right to lie in news reports, well... *shudders*

Whether it is commercially compromised or not is irrelevant: it represents free enterprise and the capacity to speak freely, a freedom we all have.

I'm fairly sure none of us have our own show on Channel 10 or our own column in a Murdoch newspaper where we can hurl all manner of made-up fictional slurs about people and issues. Or our own talkback radio programs where we can do that.

the left are also (more) hostile to the idea of government incentive for business, and would rather see this money go to welfare programs.

So how do you explain the fact that incentives for research and development were started by Hawke and Keating, but then killed off under Howard?

It was Howard who was hostile to the idea of government incentive for business. Howard who redirected said money to middle-class welfare.

You've got it the wrong way around.

Did you read the media inquiry report by the Finklestein? His recommendations as to new media were grossly inadequate.

The terms of the inquiry were far too limited. Didn't even cover the need to limit ownership at all, for instance.

That'd be your biggest mistake.

Those in the Herald Sun may think they have a right to lie, but they don't. And somehow, I don't think they'd really enjoy greater diversity in Australia's media very much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd certainly make it much harder for people like Wilson and the bovver boys at the Hun to continue running "rumours" (most likely invented by them in the course of writing their articles) which appear to be clearly false, as with this line about Garland, since he's re-signed earlier on this season for three years already.

Contracted players can still request a trade. They're just rumours at this stage and the trade window hasn't even opened yet, no need to get your knickers in a twist.

While I can see where Wonna is coming from, the Greens are quite hostile to the press in a manner that neither aids them or matches their cause.

Mate, that'd be because various elements in the media around this country - especially the Murdoch press - have been running all manner of outright lies about the Greens for years.

Even for example, lying about how-to-vote cards in the last NSW election, pretending the Greens somehow preferenced Hanson - despite the fact anyone who received a Green HTV card in the course of voting in that state election would know this wasn't true. I kid you not.

Wonna can you please stop going with the political agenda on here.. we're here to talk footy
I disagree, sometimes it's nice to venture a bit off the path of strict footy. Footy isn't so all-consuming to me that it's all I want to talk about. There are also issues that relate to how footy is covered which are worth discussing from time to time. The things raised in this thread are part of that, IMO. Without this "off-topic" aspect, this thread was going nowhere anyway.

I disagree, sometimes it's nice to venture a bit off the path of strict footy. Footy isn't so all-consuming to me that it's all I want to talk about. There are also issues that relate to how footy is covered which are worth discussing from time to time. The things raised in this thread are part of that, IMO. Without this "off-topic" aspect, this thread was going nowhere anyway.

Certainly not having a crack at anyone here, but the thread is entitled Garland..., we are here to talk footy. If you want to discuss other issues find another thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back