Garry Ablett Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It wasn't that long ago that people were not only claiming that he was better than his father but was also arguably the greatest player of all time, but in the last couple of years or so he seems to have struggled to get back to his brutal consistent best which I know had a lot to do with serious injuries.

Anyway do people still consider him one of if not the greatest of all time? or has his last couple of years effected your opinion of him and his position in history?

It wasn't that long ago that people were not only claiming that he was better than his father but was also arguably the greatest player of all time, but in the last couple of years or so he seems to have struggled to get back to his brutal consistent best which I know had a lot to do with serious injuries.

Anyway do people still consider him one of if not the greatest of all time? or has his last couple of years effected your opinion of him and his position in history?

carey's last few years were shockers but in time, the footy community has judged him deservingly as one of the best ever

gary has done enough to be there alongside or ahead of carey, matthews and his father

if he retired tomorrow and he would be one of the greatsest players of all time.

One of the best players of all time and still has a lot of years to go in his career! If he started the year the way he is going right now he would make the All-Australian team.

One of the best players of all time and still has a lot of years to go in his career! If he started the year the way he is going right now he would make the All-Australian team.

I hope you're right but the last two years doesn't paint a bright future for him. Would be a real shame if injuries resulted in premature retirement but we can't forget he's already 32 either.

Injuries and 40 possession games in 15 goal losses doesnt do the legacy much. But $2 million a year softens that blow.

Really?

If he was regarded as one of the greatest ever 2 years ago, then why would anyone's opinion change?

Still one of the elite players in the comp now, and without more injuries will be top 5 player for the next couple of years.

Seems to me your asking the question because you don't think he was the greatest ever or close to the greatest a couple years back, and just want someone to agree with you.

Injuries and 40 possession games in 15 goal losses doesnt do the legacy much. But $2 million a year softens that blow.

Name a Hawthorn player who would have achieved what Ablett has done at Gold Coast?

I believe he's actually enhanced his legacy by what he's done at the Gold Coast.

No-one in the league would have come close to the standard of footy he's played at the Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is equally as effective as his dad. But, his dad was more a forward, apart from very early on.

Snr will always be stated as the best ever. But, just imagine if he had the engine to play in the midfield.

Very, very scarey!!

Name a Hawthorn player who would have achieved what Ablett has done at Gold Coast?

I believe he's actually enhanced his legacy by what he's done at the Gold Coast.

No-one in the league would have come close to the standard of footy he's played at the Suns.

You are kidding right. His standard of footy may have been ok but his captaincy has been very poor with the Suns having the worst culture in the league.

His record has been tarnished not enhanced. Like Judd, great player, poor leader.

His form has dropped because he doesn't have a team of other hard ball winners to give him 25+ cheap easy possessions a game. To be honest would say he is no where near the status people rate him with, mainly for leaving a champion team for money and then thinking his s**t doesn't stink by ripping into players playing better than him or when they don't give him the ball

Because GAJ is all about GAJ. Has zero interest in team.

Not very good for a brand new franchise. GCS has the worst culture in the comp by an absolutely bloody mile.

A couple of years has not effected my opinion of him.
Been a very very good midfielder. More consistent than his father but nowhere near as brilliant. Does not have the power and sensation his father had to be that brilliant goal kicking forward Gazza was. He is not quite in the league of the Carey and Lockett greats. Never ever been to a game as neutral supporter to watch Gaz junior play but did to see his father. Gaz is up there with the mids of his era though. Take your pick of Judd, Gaz junior, Fyfe, Pendlebury, Selwood and Dangerfield from last decade. Not much between that lot.
Maybe in best 50 mids of all time but been quite a number of mids that achieved more. I rate Michael Voss, Greg Williams, Robbie Flower and Leigh Matthews as clearly better midfielders for me in time I seen some footy. Dick Reynolds, Hayden Bunton and Barry Cable etc of older eras some clear all time greats that his name is certainly a tier down from there for me in thinking. No shame in not being up there. Those guys were something else. He has a good amount of the talent passed on from his Dad. Certainly had a great career for himself. Hope he plays some great football to end his career on in next couple of years.

For him to get into another level of status for me he would need to do something like Leigh Matthews or Kevin Bartlett did in their later years and play two or three seasons as a forward and kick 70 to 90 goals in each of those seasons.

His form has dropped because he doesn't have a team of other hard ball winners to give him 25+ cheap easy possessions a game. To be honest would say he is no where near the status people rate him with, mainly for leaving a champion team for money and then thinking his s**t doesn't stink by ripping into players playing better than him or when they don't give him the ball
you couldn't be more wrong, but we're all entitled to an opinion

He is equally as effective as his dad. But, his dad was more a forward, apart from very early on.

Snr will always be stated as the best ever. But, just imagine if he had the engine to play in the midfield.

Very, very scarey!!

Always loved the last goal in this highlights package found on youtube.
In the wet at G v Collingwood he just takes complete control from midfield and can see from moment it comes from pack he intends to make the ball his and kick a big goal in the wet. Crazy s**t how talented he was to just do that stuff at will.

I hope you're right but the last two years doesn't paint a bright future for him. Would be a real shame if injuries resulted in premature retirement but we can't forget he's already 32 either.

I think the problem with the last 2 years is not only his injuries but those around him. Being able to have him spend half a game up forward (where I think he could get 50goals a year) would lesson the load on him and those currently dodgy shoulders.

Always loved the last goal in this highlights package found on youtube.
In the wet at G v Collingwood he just takes complete control from midfield and can see from moment it comes from pack he intends to make the ball his and kick a big goal in the wet. Crazy s**t how talented he was to just do that stuff at will.

Oh yeah. Just love it. I actually have a one hours video highlights avi file of him.

Everything he did was flat out......million miles an hour!!

It just shows how different people really are!!

I would love to see things through other people's eyes sometimes, it would be very interesting.

Was the best player in the comp from 2007 until mid 2014. That's a fair run. 7 and a half years of dominance and 5 MVP's at 2 different clubs.

He's now 32, coming off 18 months missed footy and whilst he's form is a bit patch and his physical edge seems off he's still close to a top 50 player in the comp.

He should be playing in a good side spending most of the time forward with stints in the midfield, unfortunately the injuries to so many Gold Coast midfielders have made that hard. Stevie J has kicked 28 goals and is on the way to 40+. If Gaz swapped teams with him he'd do the same.

Agreed. Would definitely have another Brownlow too.

Another Brownlow, another premiership, probably another dozen finals performances ranging from very good to legendary (he was always good in finals), now a dominant small forward pinch-hitting in the middle, probably Geelong and game's greatest ever player.

Terrible, terrible move. Hope the $ were worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back