Moved Thread Garry Ablett Matthew Kennedy & God

Remove this Banner Ad

hoylie

Debutant
Jun 23, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok, what if I say black people deserve to go to hell unless they repent for being black. Do I get called out for the blatant racism based on my bullshit personal beliefs, or do we just ignore me?

No because that wasn’t in the bible so you’re just a bigot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
The phrase "gay men aren't allowed to have sex with me" is homophobic by this standard.

It doesn't invalidate their lifestyle, it doesn't even deny them something they want, but it's not for it so it must be seen as aggressively attacking it because we live in a binary (triggered something else there too) society where you're either for or against something.
thats quite a stretch.

Izzy's comments tilt towards homosexuality being wrong/abhorrent and punishable by a great creator (should you believe in such a thing).
Not allowed to have sex with me is a personal preference.

I reckon if Izzy has posted "i dont want gay sex in my life" people would be thinking it odd, more than anything, and a little outrageous that you'd want to post that publicly. But its quite different to you're all going to hell....along with the others on the list too. But given the persecution of those groups isn't such a tender wound, it hasn't landed quite as sharply.

As for the bold, there would be plenty of christian/catholic gay people who would have taken great offence that Izzy is somehow superior in his faith.
I'd like to remind Izzy we're all sinners when it comes to scripture, and we're all going to need to repent. And i don't feel the need to post on Twitter to point out the ways he may find himself on the wrong side of his leader come judgment day....

hoylie

Debutant
Jun 23, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Luckily we have Qantas to take the moral lead on this (while partnering with Emirates which is owned by a regime that stones gay people).

And the statistical engines being a Brunei based company, which recently legalised the death penalty for homosexuals and adulterers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I don't understand this argument at all. Sure, they can have their opinion, but if it is being broadcast to other people it should be denounced and criticized. Saying that gay people will go to hell for being gay is no different than saying all jews, all black people, will go to hell etc. I don't think such hate speech should just be ignored and be like, 'meh, it's their opinion'. Idiots finding their voice on the internet, and finding affirmation through other like-minded idiots on the internet is a massive problem at the moment.

Agree with you but we end up being the one that gives it attention, if we just ignored it then it would get no airtime at all. We are the ones giving it airtime and making it the story that it should never become.

Izzy's comments tilt towards homosexuality being wrong/abhorrent and punishable by a great creator (should you believe in such a thing).
It shouldn't surprise anyone that a religion doesn't validate alternative lifestyles.

Has someone's illusion of god been destroyed by the realisation that a millennia old religion hasn't gotten with the 'rush to validate' modern culture?

To those most strictly studying and following their faith it would be a very simple thing to understand. You're either a one or a two. If someone comes along and believes there is a place in the same afterlife for a three because they are a three then what they are actually doing is following a different faith under the same name.

This eventually boils down to god and religion suiting the believer. As much as someone might want their faith to include them if it doesn't, it doesn't, so their version of the inclusive faith is different.

Which is why I am surprised anyone is ever upset by the views of anyone else about religion. They are all talking from an ultimately self validated and unverifiable point of authority, religion is an anthropological exercise to me, not a living mysticism.

God creates dinosaurs, god destroys dinosaurs, god creates man, man destroys god, man creates dinosaurs, dinosaurs eat man, woman inherits the earth.

Is there some deep ingrained burning yearning for the great power above to part the skies and give someone the thumbs up for living their life how they feel compelled to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rjslcM

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2008
Glen Waverly
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Australia, Roger Federer.
Why is everyone so outraged about everything these days?

They have an outlet for their outrage which can be validated by others

Suddenly they feel their view of the world is true because others think like them too. And because they're now in it with others, they're part of something bigger than themselves.

People have no concept of useful time management. If they spent less time reacting, they'd be able to spend more time creating. And because they react they are forever stuck in their shitty world, never actively creating the world that they wish existed.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
They have an outlet for their outrage which can be validated by others

Suddenly they feel their view of the world is true because others think like them too. And because they're now in it with others, they're part of something bigger than themselves.

People have no concept of useful time management. If they spent less time reacting, they'd be able to spend more time creating. And because they react they are forever stuck in their shitty world, never actively creating the world that they wish existed.

I reckon half the people these days just tell people what they want to hear to avoid the argument.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
So because he believes in something imaginary, he shouldn't face consequences for his homophobic crap? He breached social media policy, that was the reason for his firing, there's really no dancing around that fact
He breached condition imposed by RA to appease a sponsor Qantas whose partner Emirates UAE still has the death penalty for homosexuals and you want Izzi's and Abletts heads.I'd be gunning for Allen Joyce.

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not a Christian but the bible is full of homophobia. Here's a couple,
  • Leviticus 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."
  • Leviticus 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them."
So if you were a Christian you cant pick and choose bits of the Bible, you've got to believe it all.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not a Christian but the bible is full of homophobia. Here's a couple,
  • Leviticus 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."
  • Leviticus 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them."
So if you were a Christian you cant pick and choose bits of the Bible, you've got to believe it all.
That Leviticus guy sounds like a massive flog

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
He doesn’t at all allude to not liking homosexuals. He’s merely paraphrasing his scripture, so it’s actually not homophobic

The scripture itself is homophobic in itself, ergo it's pretty direct discrimination against LGBT people.

Anyway, Ablett has been smart enough to remove the 'like', so it's not exactly a hanging offence by any measure. Disappointing, though.

Folau is a flog but let's face it Izzy can have his opinion and so can Ablett.

They are both welcome to an opinion which i don't agree with just like all the people who voted Yes and petitioned hard for change.

PC brigade needs to chill and realise that not everyone in Australia will agree on the same topic.

Back