Inferno

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2006
Tramland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
Yet if the same organisation supported the No Campaign (ie like Coopers allegedly did) they would have been bullied from pillar to post. You cant have it both ways.

So if a No voter took issue with Geelong supporting the Yes campaign it's freedom of speech.

But if a Yes voter took issue with Geelong supporting the No campaign it would be bullying?

Disgusting. Surely Geelong will have to let Ablett go after this.
At a minimum he will be rested for the next 3 games. The club will call it "managed" but we will all know the real reason

ThatsjustDappa

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I have never understood why there are a handful of religious commandments, tenets and sometimes even just customs that everybody holds so dear. But at the same time, most people ignore or downright s**t on the other 90% that they are either too ignorant to learn to too lazy to adhere to.

At least the hardcore fundamentalists are consistent...

Pah, even hardcore fundamentalists are rubbish, going on about livin' exactly like the 8th century whilst carrying a bloody AK47 on their back....!

I am an atheist and I disagree with Falou's views VERY strongly. But that's what the bible teaches. It's not like he woke up one day and decided to be a hateful bigot. It's what's taught around the world in thousands of churches and similar to themes to what would be preached in many mosques, synagogues, temples etc.

I wouldn't call it a homophobic rant. While that has attracted most of the attention, Falou was also criticising drunks, fornicators, adulterers, thieves, atheists and more. Like my kids and those Coles minis, he was hell-bent on collecting the whole set.

I'm a non-theist and disagree with what Folau has to say recite, but that's not the issue.
The issue is that he was compelled to spread his 'knowledge' on things and for what end purpose? Why did he feel the need to share his thoughts.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Homophobic rant? Really? That was one thing on a list of several things.

Ah, humanity. How far we have come. 2019 and people are getting triggered over someone liking an instagram post. Time to put down the keyboard and focus on more productive things than getting outraged over nothing.

Easiest way to put it. All those on the list are choices, apart from 1. You don't choose your sexuality.

I'm a non-theist and disagree with what Folau has to say recite, but that's not the issue.
The issue is that he was compelled to spread his 'knowledge' on things and for what end purpose? Why did he feel the need to share his thoughts.

For what purpose?

To 'spread god's word' and to try to save some souls, I would have thought....

Just of his list, that's a lot of souls!

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Yet if the same organisation supported the No Campaign (ie like Coopers allegedly did) they would have been bullied from pillar to post. You cant have it both ways.
Except when it's an issue whereas one side is blatantly arguing for discrimination, let alone against an already-marginalised group on the basis of their sexuality (a rather crassly simplified summation of a complex issue, but you get the point).

Political arguments do fall across a spectrum, whereas some are very much a grey area, and others are seen as objectively wrong. I suspect that discrimination of any form against LGBT people falls now far more firmly into the latter camp.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
He suggests eternal damnation for everyone. Im on his list five times. Am i discriminated against as well?

Well yeah, technically. But it doesn’t really matter. What matters is the s**t that has downtrodden folks

Sexuality
Disability
Etc

Don’t discriminate against people on those things. Things they can’t help.

It’s really not that complicated.

For what purpose?
To 'spread god's word' and to try to save some souls, I would have thought....
Just of his list, that's a lot of souls!

It's a good thing that we have the likes of Folau here to save us....Save us from who exactly?
His God and not any of the hundreds of other ones, but in particular his one.

Good thing we have him to help us. God bless him.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Is a club guilty if they sign a player who agrees to abide by their rules but they know that player does not believe in those values?

Is it as long as they don’t say anything it’s fine the policy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

madrigal

All Australian
May 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Well yeah, technically. But it doesn’t really matter. What matters is the s**t that has downtrodden folks

Sexuality
Disability
Etc

Don’t discriminate against people on those things. Things they can’t help.

It’s really not that complicated.
What about what you believe? That isn't really a choice either.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I remember the GFC going public in support for same sex marriage,I wondered at the time was that the job of a sporting organizations to speak for their members and players and if it's ok for them to push their view why wouldn't it be ok for other to express their opinion.
I remember the GFC going public in support for same sex marriage,I wondered at the time was that the job of a sporting organizations to speak for their members and players and if it's ok for them to push their view why wouldn't it be ok for other to express their opinion.
Its not pushing a view. It’s where the collective stand. Sport and sporting clubs should be places of openness and acceptance, they shouldn’t divide. Irrespective of your sexual preference or beliefs you should be welcome anywhere, and sport is great at providing that social cohesion.

Folau isn't being persecuted for his beliefs but for his actions. And of course, Folau is free to post whatever he believes in on Facebook and Rubgy Australia or the AFL, as businesses, are free to judge those beliefs against the interests of their primary source of income (the public) and decide whether they would like to continue the association. Which they have done, and have exercised their right to terminate their contracts with Folau.

It really is a flawless system of repercussion for actions.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Technically, no. I couldn't choose to believe that 2+2 is 3, no matter how hard I tried. I'm sure Folau feels the same about this.

However, believing that gay people are committing sin by being gay, and will deservedly go to hell, is not carte blanche to just say so. I believe that my Aunty is an absolute flog, it doesn't give the right to say so in any sort of identifiable way.

madrigal

All Australian
May 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Technically, no. I couldn't choose to believe that 2+2 is 3, no matter how hard I tried. I'm sure Folau feels the same about this.

However, believing that gay people are committing sin by being gay, and will deservedly go to hell, is not carte blanche to just say so. I believe that my Aunty is an absolute flog, it doesn't give the right to say so in any sort of identifiable way.
I agree, or in other words we can discriminate against people on things they can’t help, we do it all the time.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
I agree, or in other words we can discriminate against people on things they can’t help, we do it all the time.
Are you inferring that Folau is being discriminated against?

If I call him an idiot for being heavily religious, then yes.

If he is sacked for holding faith-based views, then yes.

If he is sacked for expressing faith-based views that discriminate against LGBT people, then no. He is then being treated according to the wrongness of his actions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back